Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
But this is not a true block. An old-school block prevents the call from even going through. Apple is apparently doing this at the phone level, not collaborating with the carriers. With a block, callers should certainly not be able to continue to leave voicemails. What if this is some guy who can't take a hint and continues to leave weird VMs on a girl's phone? This is a bad solution.

Exactly. sending a call direct to voicemail is NOT a block. When you block numbers on your landline phone (yeah those still exist) there is a blocked call message and no voicemail will be allowed. Seems if no message on iPhone then a ring ring ring to the caller and silence to the called party would make more since, NOT going to voicemail. That way the calling party will know their call is never going through and the called party is not being annoyed with a ringing phone from a blocked caller. As for text, yes it should not show delivered if in fact it was not. It should act as though iMessage is down. That should be easy for Apple :) , couldn't resist that one folks.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Having configurable options would be fine, but we know Apple, they don't really like to give too many options often so as not to complicate things. Perhaps they will add something in an update in the future (given that this is the first release where blocking became available in general), but at best we can mostly just hope for that (certainly not expect it).

I guess simple answer is don't add a feature and call it "Block this caller" if its not a call block feature and is really just an ignore feature. Perhaps 7.0.3 will reword it to "Ignore this caller". Then this thread can be closed as the feature will work just as expected.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess simple answer is don't add a feature and call it "Block this caller" if its not a call block feature and is really just an ignore feature. Perhaps 7.0.3 will reword it to "Ignore this caller". Then this thread can be closed as the feature will work just as expected.
It is a block feature--the calls/messages/etc. don't reach you, which is what blocking does. Now can there be additional options too, sure, and that might make it more robust. But it's still blocking even if just at the most basic level.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
It is a block feature--the calls/messages/etc. don't reach you, which is what blocking does. Now can there be additional options too, sure, and that might make it more robust. But it's still blocking even if just at the most basic level.

No, it does not block them if they can leave a voicemail that shows up in my voicemail section. Renaming it to "ignore callers" would be more fitting.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree with OP. Lousy feature. If I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. I don't need them assuming their texts have been delivered. That WILL DEFINITELY lead to problems. Here's a crude and quick example.

Boyfriend and girlfriend break up. Boyfriend blocks girlfriend. Girlfriend text boyfriend a week later to tell him she is pregnant. Boyfriend doesn't get message. Girlfriend has a delivery receipt saying he did get message. Boyfriend doesn't know he is a father. Girlfriend assumes boyfriend is a deadbeat.

Wow - good point...I guess. I never took it that far. I was just annoyed that my drunk dialing buddy could still leave me a voicemail at 3 in the morning after I blocked him.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, it does not block them if they can leave a voicemail that shows up in my voicemail section. Renaming it to "ignore callers" would be more fitting.
Perhaps it doesn't block them in the way you would like blocking to work, but it still blocks them within the definition of blocking in the (mobile) telephony world.

----------

Wow - good point...I guess. I never took it that far. I was just annoyed that my drunk dialing buddy could still leave me a voicemail at 3 in the morning after I blocked him.
But you don't get to be bothered by it and won't even know about it unless you specifically go to a particular location for those kinds of things and check it there. And even then you don't have to do anything with it except just simply delete everything there and that's that.

samaravic

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2013
I think it is top I block every cold caller number I get before I had a contact called junk callers so now they don't even get though As for people I don't want to talk to I use the answer with a text telling them I don't want to talk

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If you think this feature is lousy, don't even bother with the new Do Not Disturb feature, it doesn't even work. Calls still come through as if it's not even turned on.

Do Not Disturb works perfectly here.

Tried restoring your phone yet? Reset network settings?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I agree with OP. Lousy feature. If I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. I don't need them assuming their texts have been delivered. That WILL DEFINITELY lead to problems. Here's a crude and quick example.

Boyfriend and girlfriend break up. Boyfriend blocks girlfriend. Girlfriend text boyfriend a week later to tell him she is pregnant. Boyfriend doesn't get message. Girlfriend has a delivery receipt saying he did get message. Boyfriend doesn't know he is a father. Girlfriend assumes boyfriend is a deadbeat.

Boyfriend and girlfriend should have used condom :D

Not apple's fault here :D

----------

Exactly. If I'm not getting texts, calls or voicemails then I want the other party to know this 100%
Otherwise I may as well just ignore them (but not use the block feature)

I don't see any problem: if I blocked someone I don't care what he/she know or think ....

----------

If you block someone it should not say delivered on texts. If anyhing it should say unable to deliver and get bounced back.

Phone calls it should go straight to a message that says unable to connect your call and it hangs up. Not allow them to leave a voicemail, if youve blocked an abusive person say they should not be able to leave you messages.

They would soon get the message.

This is on the carrier side. I disabled my voicemail so a blocked number is not able to leave any message.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
For all those who complain that blocked callers go straight to voicemail, and that it doesn't make sense that they can leave voicemail, I have a solution (well, it's actually what I use, although I'm aware it won't work for everyone).

I have disabled voicemail ages ago. I dislike voicemail. If I can't be reached on my phone, I want people to send me text messages or emails. If you disable voicemail, and someone from the blocked list calls you, they will get a busy signal.

If they keep calling you and you're always busy 24/7, they will get the hint that you blocked them :)

GP20

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Is this one of those features that only work in the U.S.? I'm in Canada and I played with this feature on my gf's iPhone 5 and blocked my own number, and when I try to call her from my own iPhone 5, the call goes through just fine and her iPhone rings.

I'm still using IOS 6.14 and she of course has IOS 7.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

I disagree. If the calls go to voicemail or a text states that it was delivered then neither was "blocked". If the called party simply isn't notified due to no ring BUT it in fact does go to voicemail (ie reach you), then well by definition it was not blocked but ignored. If a call actually goes to the users voicemail then it is not blocked. Again look at the real call block feature from a landline. The call does not come through at all and is blocked completely. The caller is notified that the call is not reaching its destination. THAT is call blocking. Don't get me wrong I really don't care either way. But the reality is that feature is an ignore feature rather than a block feature and should be "sold" as such. That's all I'm saying.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I disagree. If the calls go to voicemail or a text states that it was delivered then neither was "blocked". If the called party simply isn't notified due to no ring BUT it in fact does go to voicemail (ie reach you), then well by definition it was not blocked but ignored. If a call actually goes to the users voicemail then it is not blocked. Again look at the real call block feature from a landline. The call does not come through at all and is blocked completely. The caller is notified that the call is not reaching its destination. THAT is call blocking. Don't get me wrong I really don't care either way. But the reality is that feature is an ignore feature rather than a block feature and should be "sold" as such. That's all I'm saying.

Makes sense to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And how many people will be confused as to what ignore really is as they aren't really used to that terminology but get the blocked terminology (despite some small technicalities as to how it actually works--the biggest effect being that they don't get the call/message/etc.). And if it was implemented the other way around where no voicemail option was provided then how many would complain that they would want that just in case there's that 1 in 100 call that might be important and they would still want to be able to what a voicemail just in case.

Options are good though and hopefully more will be provided over time. That said, for a first version of its implementation the "block" feature is far from bad, even if might not be perfect or even great.

matt234

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2013
Works for me!

For me, the feature is perfect. For the person I'm using it for...let them think the text is delivered and I'm ignoring them. They deserve it. The win here is I don't see it and there's no temptation, in a weak moment, to respond. As for the voicemail, I like that option. You can listen if you want or just delete it. Works for me. And if the person I was dealing with was mature, I'd handle it in a more mature manner. But you reap what you sow. Thanks ios 7...what goes around comes around!

Htin

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
they should do it like iblacklist.
even if you block u will have a separate log for calls and messages that are for blocked numbers.

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
I use the blocking feature for trolls on Craigslist. They like to bother you when you don't take their offer so I just bother them. I've even had some call me continuously at 2:30am which bypasses my Do Not Disturb feature. So I just block them. Goodbye!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use the blocking feature for trolls on Craigslist. They like to bother you when you don't take their offer so I just bother them. I've even had some call me continuously at 2:30am which bypasses my Do Not Disturb feature. So I just block them. Goodbye!
Using something like Google Voice can be even better for that kind of thing.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Exactly. If I'm not getting texts, calls or voicemails then I want the other party to know this 100%

So if two people simultaneously place a block on each other, does that start an infinitive loop of "you've been blocked notifications" between their devices? :D

Sheesh, if you want them to know so badly then email, text, or call them yourself when you toss them on block. Maybe there's a market for someone to write and sell a last word freak app.

Lalala888

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
This is a non-issue.

If you want someone to know you've blocked them, tell them.

Do you really want the phone sending loads of text messages telling people they're blocked without you knowing?

Sending messages automatically is potentially dangerous anyway. What if someone's iPhone responds to somebody who has taken out a Restraining Order against them prohibiting contact? They'd be arrested for a serious criminal offence.

First, you wouldn't be sending "loads of text messages". The person would get one message saying they are blocked. They would be stupid to keep texting you and getting the same message over and over. And if you're blocking loads of people, then maybe you need to reevaluate your interpersonal skills. As for telemarketers and such, same thing. If you choose to let them know then they will stop trying.

And if someone has a restraining order against you, they shouldn't be contacting YOU. if they do it's not your fault, especially if your only response is that they have been blocked. Duh.

I agree it should be an option, per contact. If I block a person there is a reason and I want to cut off ALL communication. Including telling them they've been blocked. That should be automated. What if they are a stalker? I don't want to have to text or call a stalker to tell them they have been blocked.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
First, you wouldn't be sending "loads of text messages". The person would get one message saying they are blocked. They would be stupid to keep texting you and getting the same message over and over. And if you're blocking loads of people, then maybe you need to reevaluate your interpersonal skills. As for telemarketers and such, same thing. If you choose to let them know then they will stop trying.

And if someone has a restraining order against you, they shouldn't be contacting YOU. if they do it's not your fault, especially if your only response is that they have been blocked. Duh.

I agree it should be an option, per contact. If I block a person there is a reason and I want to cut off ALL communication. Including telling them they've been blocked. That should be automated. What if they are a stalker? I don't want to have to text or call a stalker to tell them they have been blocked.
So it seems like blocking them and not caring whether or not they know about it--as long as you aren't getting anything from them--is basically the way to go, as Apple has implemented pretty much.

Lalala888

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
No, sometimes you want people to know you've blocked them. Like a stalker. You want them to know but you wouldn't want to personally tell them.

And Apple hasn't done this. The person still thinks they got thru because the text says delivered or the left a voicemail. And if you receive VM's, whether hidden or not, they are not actually blocked.

----------

Clearly it should be an option. Otherwise there wouldn't even be a post here (or any of the other 50 sites you get when you google this topic). Those of you who don't care won't use it. Those of us who want it will.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I have become intimately familiar with blocking calls since March 15th. I started up a new line on March 15th and the new number is riddled with scammers and collection calls all asking for "Lisa Hanson". I don't know who she is, but I imagine she signed up for every contest she came across and used her cell phone number.

At week two I called AT&T to change my number, but changed my mind while on hold with them, and decided to see if I can beat the scammers and make a game out of it, since I like my new number.

Anyway, I have Google Voice handle my voicemails (and my contacts on my phones) on my phones and I have created a few contacts and I add them to the following categories all of which I have blocked on Google Voice as well. So they only get through to me one time each then they are blocked. If they call again, they hear a recording saying they have reached a number that is no longer in service.

1. collection/junk calls
2. scammers
3. Jamaican scammers

I after about 6 weeks now I probably have to add 1 number to the list a week. The first few weeks it was a few a day. I have over 60 numbers blocked now, and half of them are calls from Jamaica. I tried to reason with the Jamaicans one time, but they wanted me to western union $750 to them to remove me from their list, they offered me a 'prize', but in order to get that they wanted me to western union them $750. Do people actually fall for these scams?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.