Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, sometimes you want people to know you've blocked them. Like a stalker. You want them to know but you wouldn't want to personally tell them.

And Apple hasn't done this. The person still thinks they got thru because the text says delivered or the left a voicemail. And if you receive VM's, whether hidden or not, they are not actually blocked.

----------

Clearly it should be an option. Otherwise there wouldn't even be a post here (or any of the other 50 sites you get when you google this topic). Those of you who don't care won't use it. Those of us who want it will.
Why would you want those types of people know you are blocked? As long as you are not getting calls/texts form them, seems like what you want has been accomplished, right? Just trying to understand. Basically what would be the additional benefit to you to be able to communicate to someone they are blocked (if you blocked them and thus don't care about them or really want to know anything about them) over simply just not getting anything from them without any communication about that?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I agree with OP. Lousy feature. If I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. I don't need them assuming their texts have been delivered. That WILL DEFINITELY lead to problems. Here's a crude and quick example.

Boyfriend and girlfriend break up. Boyfriend blocks girlfriend. Girlfriend text boyfriend a week later to tell him she is pregnant. Boyfriend doesn't get message. Girlfriend has a delivery receipt saying he did get message. Boyfriend doesn't know he is a father. Girlfriend assumes boyfriend is a deadbeat.

well that escalated

Lalala888

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
Seriously people, why is this a debate? Some people care to have the message sent, some don't. Therefor it should be an OPTION. Who cares what the reasons are. That's the beauty of OPTIONS. If you want to use the feature, you will. If not, you won't. Why should Apple choose for you? Because it is easier for them? If they are going to give you this feature, you should be able to use it how you want.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seriously people, why is this a debate? Some people care to have the message sent, some don't. Therefor it should be an OPTION. Who cares what the reasons are. That's the beauty of OPTIONS. If you want to use the feature, you will. If not, you won't. Why should Apple choose for you? Because it is easier for them? If they are going to give you this feature, you should be able to use it how you want.
Apple isn't big on options really. They implement things one way or another and where it really makes sense give some options but often not much. In this first implementation of blocking it works the way it does, and for most that's more than enough. Perhaps an option like that would be useful to some, and perhaps Apple might add it in the future if it seems like enough would benefit from it. Other than that it's either no notification or you provide the notification yourself.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Apple isn't big on options really. They implement things one way or another and where it really makes sense give some options but often not much. In this first implementation of blocking it works the way it does, and for most that's more than enough. Perhaps an option like that would be useful to some, and perhaps Apple might add it in the future if it seems like enough would benefit from it. Other than that it's either no notification or you provide the notification yourself.

Android works pretty much the same way, blocked calls go to voicemail.

The only nice thing about the Android side is that you can buy call blocking apps on Google Play that can prevent calls from even ringing so they can't go to voicemail.

5872RogerTHAT

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Lousy? It does what its meant to do. If your pissed at someone text them and tell them you have blocked them.
Or would you like Apple to do your dirty work.:rolleyes:
Seriously? I have sent numerous texts & VM's to a caller that insists on ignoring my requests. I've threatened restraining orders but since I've not been threatened per se I can not be granted a TRO. It's not asking Apple to do my dirtywork, it's expecting a blocked caller to truly BE blocked. I even told them I have them listed as Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs & they enjoy knowing there's not a damn thing I can do about it. What a stupid remark you made, there are a lotta crazies out there. I am gonna have to change my cell # since they can still leave messages under the 'blocked caller' VM. Totally sucks because they assume I'm forwarding them to VM, they don't believe I've blocked them since they can leave a message. Get it straight dude.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seriously? I have sent numerous texts & VM's to a caller that insists on ignoring my requests. I've threatened restraining orders but since I've not been threatened per se I can not be granted a TRO. It's not asking Apple to do my dirtywork, it's expecting a blocked caller to truly BE blocked. I even told them I have them listed as Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs & they enjoy knowing there's not a damn thing I can do about it. What a stupid remark you made, there are a lotta crazies out there. I am gonna have to change my cell # since they can still leave messages under the 'blocked caller' VM. Totally sucks because they assume I'm forwarding them to VM, they don't believe I've blocked them since they can leave a message. Get it straight dude.
And if they leave messages and you don't listens to them and essentially don't know about them, why does it it matter what they think or care about? You don't care about them.

Reactions: firebird1987

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Why don't you request the number to be blocked with your carrier?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I used the block feature the other day because some dumb ass didnt understand I'm not the one they are looking for! If you call a million times and don't get an answer then I don't know you. If you text the words "call me" a million times and I don't it means I don't know you.

Reactions: firebird1987

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)

How is Apples fault you gave some nut job your number? Why is it Apples fault you listen to some crazy persons VM they left you?
Im sure your carrier will help you deal with those issues better then Apple, or maybe even a therapist? :eek:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

You don't need to have a threat against you to get a restraining order - you can get one for harassment. Calling/texting repeatedly *IS* harassment.

5872RogerTHAT

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
And if they leave messages and you don't listens to them and essentially don't know about them, why does it it matter what they think or care about? You don't care about them.
Ugh. Listen clueless, let me spell out my personal life which should have nothing to do with how useless blocking someone is. This person is mentally ill, they know where I live, they think that I'm the best thing since sliced bread--& I agree that perhaps I am, however--I am fearful of them. Have I listened to the messages left on my 'blocked caller' messages? Absofreakinglutely! In the event that a message threatening me with specifics that I could follow thru & be granted a TRO. Any further idiotic replies however following this I will DEF ignore. The bottom line is I am not asking Apple to do my dirtywork, but to assume a caller is truly blocked is senseless. All they know is it rang once, they left a message, & as far as they know are welcome to continue BECAUSE THEY ARE ABLE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE. Geez Louise, don't be so freaking argumentative!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ugh. Listen clueless, let me spell out my personal life which should have nothing to do with how useless blocking someone is. This person is mentally ill, they know where I live, they think that I'm the best thing since sliced bread--& I agree that perhaps I am, however--I am fearful of them. Have I listened to the messages left on my 'blocked caller' messages? Absofreakinglutely! In the event that a message threatening me with specifics that I could follow thru & be granted a TRO. Any further idiotic replies however following this I will DEF ignore. The bottom line is I am not asking Apple to do my dirtywork, but to assume a caller is truly blocked is senseless. All they know is it rang once, they left a message, & as far as they know are welcome to continue BECAUSE THEY ARE ABLE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE. Geez Louise, don't be so freaking argumentative!!
I asked a question, you seemed to have pointlessly blown it out of proportion out of nowhere. Taking that along with all the various descriptions of what's supposedly going on, it would seem like way bigger issues are in play way beyond anything that blocking or the details of how it's done would ever even come close to addressing in any way. Good luck.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The above issue seems to be a lot further on than how an iPhone blocks texts and calls is the main thing to be worrying about!

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
This is why you should use call blocking for nuisances like telemarketers and prank callers, not for people who you don't want to speak with.

Also it behaves like this to prevent denial of service attacks. If the phone were to let the call ring for instance, it'd tie up its ability to accept calls while it did so. This would allow the caller, at no cost to himself because ringing isn't billed, to tie up your phone basically indefinitely by just repeatedly calling it. The same for a spoken message of sorts, in many cases. The best way technically to handle it is to hang up immediately. (A blocked message could originate from the network without this problem, but this is a phone feature and not a network feature.)

I just used this tonight. with a a girlfriend that I'm tired of wasting my time,
just block and forget, onto the new year, end of drama:)

----------

How is Apples fault you gave some nut job your number? Why is it Apples fault you listen to some crazy persons VM they left you?
Im sure your carrier will help you deal with those issues better then Apple, or maybe even a therapist? :eek:

Don't you know, everything is apples fault!
My crazy year of crazy girlfriends...I blame apple!!

----------

I agree with OP. Lousy feature. If I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. I don't need them assuming their texts have been delivered. That WILL DEFINITELY lead to problems. Here's a crude and quick example.

Boyfriend and girlfriend break up. Boyfriend blocks girlfriend. Girlfriend text boyfriend a week later to tell him she is pregnant. Boyfriend doesn't get message. Girlfriend has a delivery receipt saying he did get message. Boyfriend doesn't know he is a father. Girlfriend assumes boyfriend is a deadbeat.

Boyfriend should have wrapped that rascal!
For the rest of us, blocking is going to work fine, unless you want to keep the drama going, I for one don't care what they know, I just want some peace:)

firebird1987

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
New Boston, Tx
So, it seems that the blocking feature just does not allow them to call you... or you can just ignore the incoming call if you never use this feature.

She will never find out that her text message to you: "honey, you are now a father" has been blocked and you have never received it.

This blocking feature should have a few more sliders allowing for different options, such as "let it ring" or "tell the caller that he/she has been blocked", etc.

You'll are asking a lot from a service that is totally free of charges and it is meant to keep you from being interrupted and annoyed just to see the call or text came from someone that you don't want to hear from in the first place... Also it's designed to help you ignore the ones you've already told to leave you alone and won't and of course those unwanted callers that are always calling to try and sell you something or collect from you and/or scam you... I agree with the others that if you want them to know you blocked them or had something important to tell them then STEP UP and TELL THEM YOURSELF!!! As for the pregnant girlfriend situation then that is a FACE to FACE situation and not a TEXT or CALL situation... If you're too much of a chicken to tell him face to face then the only reason your probably telling him in the first place that "he is gonna be a daddy" is cause you want money or some kind of support or your trying to use it to win him back (which would never work out anyways)... People are always looking for the easy way out anymore.. Grow up and be responsible for you mistakes... By the way I'm a woman (not a man) making these comments and that is how I would handle it if it was me because that's how I was brought up or taught! Quit expecting everything for nothing.. If you want something like that because you can't or won't do it yourself then look to see if there is an app in the App Store or online that you can purchase that'll do it for you...

Last edited:

firebird1987

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
New Boston, Tx

Why are you even worried about the fact that they are or even care just as long as your not having to deal with it? Be happy and let it go... Doesn't it make you happy not having to deal with them? So who care what they think or feel... If it makes them happy thinking they are annoying you then let them cause like you said there's nothing you can do to stop them, short of killing them that is and then if you do you'll be the one in trouble...

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You can always jailbreak and install iBlacklist. It will keep the call from ringing and being answered as well as NOT being sent to VM. You'll still see they called in the call log but that's about it.

Misskitty951

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2015

Seriously I have a feeling she would also try calling him too. Sending one text and assuming one read it in a situation like that is stupid. If it's a serious deal you block someone just change your number. Most of the time it's anger that is gone the next day. I'm sure there's actual apps just for blocking people kinda like what's on FB. You know your blocked there. No question about it. But saying that someone sends someone a serious text and thinks it went through and it's enough for the sender to 9 months later assume there's a dead beat dad now to haul into court. Even a judge would say " You didn't try calling him or going to see him in person over this?" So bad example. Maybe more like you text someone you were " sick and not coming into work that morning" and they blocked you. I could see that. Being pregnant? Nah! Happy holidays

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Seriously I have a feeling she would also try calling him too. Sending one text and assuming one read it in a situation like that is stupid. If it's a serious deal you block someone just change your number. Most of the time it's anger that is gone the next day. I'm sure there's actual apps just for blocking people kinda like what's on FB. You know your blocked there. No question about it. But saying that someone sends someone a serious text and thinks it went through and it's enough for the sender to 9 months later assume there's a dead beat dad now to haul into court. Even a judge would say " You didn't try calling him or going to see him in person over this?" So bad example. Maybe more like you text someone you were " sick and not coming into work that morning" and they blocked you. I could see that. Being pregnant? Nah! Happy holidays

Yes I definitely agree, that was just the first example that popped into my mind. Also, blocked contacts can call you, but you won't see the call obviously... You get the persons VM, and can leave a VM... On iOS you have the option to at least listen to the VM a blocked party leaves. I just think it is a bad implementation and can and will cause problems that wouldn't exist if the blocked party was just alerted that they had been blocked. For whatever it's worth, I have no reason to block anyone, so this doesn't really affect me in any way. I just think it could be better.

Aignerclark

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Colorado
you can block everyone not in contacts by going to 'do not disturb' in settings and choosing 'allow contacts only'. As long as your phone is locked, you won't hear from anyone not in contacts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
you can block everyone not in contacts by going to 'do not disturb' in settings and choosing 'allow contacts only'. As long as your phone is locked, you won't hear from anyone not in contacts.
It also blocks all other notifications as well, which might not be something most people would want.

missedbliss

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2016

If you think of a phone like social media, then yeah-- sure. But some of us are adults and we'd rather block a telemarketer/bot, that persistently calls at 5am every morning. So for basic issues, I don't think this is a lousy function at all..

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
If you think of a phone like social media, then yeah-- sure. But some of us are adults and we'd rather block a telemarketer/bot, that persistently calls at 5am every morning. So for basic issues, I don't think this is a lousy function at all..

I get that, and I understand your point. I just don't like that I can have someone blocked yet they still receive a "delivery" receipt. I like knowing when I see "delivered" that the person actually received my message. The way blocked callers are implemented in iMessage makes that feature unreliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.