Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Annoyedaton

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Lousy? It does what its meant to do. If your pissed at someone text them and tell them you have blocked them.
Or would you like Apple to do your dirty work.:rolleyes:
Ok this thread inspired me. I shouldn't have given this guy my number and I did (my fault). He's called me 6 times in 2 days with 3 separate numbers. I blocked each number each time. After reading this thread I decided to do my own dirty work. I called this guy and said please stop calling me, the 6 voicemails are a little disturbing. So thanks to you all for inspiring me to do this. :)

tourguide

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
So it sounds more like an Ignore feature and not a Block feature because there is no notification to the caller/texter that they're being blocked.

Too bad you couldn't customize this a tad and have the option to block (it tells the caller they're blocked) or ignore.
I would like a blocked caller to know their calls and texts are blocked but have the option to be notified if they try. If you have a stalker or angry ex who keeps calling and leaving messages, that can be good and bad. Bad because you're being harassed. Good because you can take evidence of repeated calls to the police and hopefully put an end to it. For the chronic caller trying to sell you life insurance, best if they're completely blocked and know it.
[doublepost=1475452003][/doublepost]
Why would you want those types of people know you are blocked? As long as you are not getting calls/texts form them, seems like what you want has been accomplished, right? Just trying to understand. Basically what would be the additional benefit to you to be able to communicate to someone they are blocked (if you blocked them and thus don't care about them or really want to know anything about them) over simply just not getting anything from them without any communication about that?

C DM, I would think a stalker, for example, would just keep leaving voice mails. Then, when you checked legitimate messages after being notified you'd see them. You could not listen and delete, but it still would be annoying.
[doublepost=1475452796][/doublepost]
Ok this thread inspired me. I shouldn't have given this guy my number and I did (my fault). He's called me 6 times in 2 days with 3 separate numbers. I blocked each number each time. After reading this thread I decided to do my own dirty work. I called this guy and said please stop calling me, the 6 voicemails are a little disturbing. So thanks to you all for inspiring me to do this. :)
I think the point some of us are making here is that allowing a blocked caller to leave voice mails that are "disturbing" is actually not blocking he caller from reaching you. If someone wants to harass you this way, you can't stop them.
[doublepost=1475453046][/doublepost]
Seriously people, why is this a debate? Some people care to have the message sent, some don't. Therefor it should be an OPTION. Who cares what the reasons are. That's the beauty of OPTIONS. If you want to use the feature, you will. If not, you won't. Why should Apple choose for you? Because it is easier for them? If they are going to give you this feature, you should be able to use it how you want.
Totally agree. There could be times when you would want to know if someone is crazy or dangerous enough to repeatedly call and leave messages. Theoretically, if an angry ex or stalker thought you ere blocking their phone calls, they might start showing up at your door or workplace, etc. In which case, it becomes a legal issue. And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, it could be valuable to have all those saved voice mails if you did need to go to the police.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would like a blocked caller to know their calls and texts are blocked but have the option to be notified if they try. If you have a stalker or angry ex who keeps calling and leaving messages, that can be good and bad. Bad because you're being harassed. Good because you can take evidence of repeated calls to the police and hopefully put an end to it. For the chronic caller trying to sell you life insurance, best if they're completely blocked and know it.
[doublepost=1475452003][/doublepost]

C DM, I would think a stalker, for example, would just keep leaving voice mails. Then, when you checked legitimate messages after being notified you'd see them. You could not listen and delete, but it still would be annoying.
[doublepost=1475452796][/doublepost]
I think the point some of us are making here is that allowing a blocked caller to leave voice mails that are "disturbing" is actually not blocking he caller from reaching you. If someone wants to harass you this way, you can't stop them.
[doublepost=1475453046][/doublepost]
Totally agree. There could be times when you would want to know if someone is crazy or dangerous enough to repeatedly call and leave messages. Theoretically, if an angry ex or stalker thought you ere blocking their phone calls, they might start showing up at your door or workplace, etc. In which case, it becomes a legal issue. And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, it could be valuable to have all those saved voice mails if you did need to go to the police.
Voicemails from blocked callers are not stored and displayed in the same place as regular voicemails.

tourguide

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
Ugh. Listen clueless, let me spell out my personal life which should have nothing to do with how useless blocking someone is. This person is mentally ill, they know where I live, they think that I'm the best thing since sliced bread--& I agree that perhaps I am, however--I am fearful of them. Have I listened to the messages left on my 'blocked caller' messages? Absofreakinglutely! In the event that a message threatening me with specifics that I could follow thru & be granted a TRO. Any further idiotic replies however following this I will DEF ignore. The bottom line is I am not asking Apple to do my dirtywork, but to assume a caller is truly blocked is senseless. All they know is it rang once, they left a message, & as far as they know are welcome to continue BECAUSE THEY ARE ABLE TO LEAVE A MESSAGE. Geez Louise, don't be so freaking argumentative!!
Agreed. The blocked caller I'm concerned about is a mentally ill neighbor and has a long history with the police. In fact, in one of her delusional meltdowns, she called the police and said I was stalking her. It took them less than two minutes to confirm that most definitely was not the case. In this uncomfortable situation, I think I'd want to know if she's calling, since she is next door and easily could just come to my door.
[doublepost=1475453608][/doublepost]
Voicemails from blocked callers are not stored and displayed in the same place as regular voicemails.
Thanks for that. Where are they stored?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Agreed. The blocked caller I'm concerned about is a mentally ill neighbor and has a long history with the police. In fact, in one of her delusional meltdowns, she called the police and said I was stalking her. It took them less than two minutes to confirm that most definitely was not the case. In this uncomfortable situation, I think I'd want to know if she's calling, since she is next door and easily could just come to my door.
[doublepost=1475453608][/doublepost]
Thanks for that. Where are they stored?
There's a separate section in voicemail for those.

tourguide

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
Okay, thanks. Where is that? And, it seemed some in this thread think your phone rings when a clocked caller calls, but my understanding is that the call goes straight to VM. Fortunately, the one crazy blocked caller has not tried to call, unless I can't see the notification. A little confused on this.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Okay, thanks. Where is that? And, it seemed some in this thread think your phone rings when a clocked caller calls, but my understanding is that the call goes straight to VM. Fortunately, the one crazy blocked caller has not tried to call, unless I can't see the notification. A little confused on this.

Yeah it does't ring if I remember right but their voicemail goes to a folder in voicemail called block calls or something like that. and you know the blocked text goes to oblivion thank god!
You just have to be strong to just delete that voicemail and not listen to it!
My ex just found out about *67..they can use your number with that in front so they can still harass you.
Yes, the phone does ring on that one!

Puddum

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
I agree with OP. Lousy feature. If I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. I don't need them assuming their texts have been delivered. That WILL DEFINITELY lead to problems. Here's a crude and quick example.

Boyfriend and girlfriend break up. Boyfriend blocks girlfriend. Girlfriend text boyfriend a week later to tell him she is pregnant. Boyfriend doesn't get message. Girlfriend has a delivery receipt saying he did get message. Boyfriend doesn't know he is a father. Girlfriend assumes boyfriend is a deadbeat.
[doublepost=1524357600][/doublepost]Trust me, that is NOT true. You need your blocked callers to think they're getting through to you. This feature is cleverly set up to deter stalkers, telemarketers and harassers. If these people know they're blocked, they might catch you off guard by calling you from a different phone number. I had just such a person whom I was able to remain blissfully unaware of after I blocked her. She was phoning me incessantly and probably assuming I just didn't have time to call her back. You see, when these calls DO go to your voice mail; it's NOT the v.m. you have set up w/your personal outgoing message! They get that generic, "electronic" voice message that says, "The caller you're trying to reach is unavailable now. Leave your message after the tone." If you don't opt to retrieve your generic messages (and why would you? You're trying to send these blocked callers off into outer space!) then you'll never even know they tried calling you. It's a pretty smart way of truly getting rid of people you don't want to hear from again; silence is golden. I agree, this doesn't work if you're trying to be vindictive and simply get a point across to someone you don't like. The real purpose of this feature is so that you won't have someone trying to track you down through other means (this can even include bill collectors who don't go away easily...)

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
[doublepost=1524357600][/doublepost]Trust me, that is NOT true. You need your blocked callers to think they're getting through to you. This feature is cleverly set up to deter stalkers, telemarketers and harassers. If these people know they're blocked, they might catch you off guard by calling you from a different phone number. I had just such a person whom I was able to remain blissfully unaware of after I blocked her. She was phoning me incessantly and probably assuming I just didn't have time to call her back. You see, when these calls DO go to your voice mail; it's NOT the v.m. you have set up w/your personal outgoing message! They get that generic, "electronic" voice message that says, "The caller you're trying to reach is unavailable now. Leave your message after the tone." If you don't opt to retrieve your generic messages (and why would you? You're trying to send these blocked callers off into outer space!) then you'll never even know they tried calling you. It's a pretty smart way of truly getting rid of people you don't want to hear from again; silence is golden. I agree, this doesn't work if you're trying to be vindictive and simply get a point across to someone you don't like. The real purpose of this feature is so that you won't have someone trying to track you down through other means (this can even include bill collectors who don't go away easily...)

I agree that the block callers function works great. If you were to need to access any voicemails, you could. What my post is talking about is the block text feature. The person being blocked receives a delivery receipt saying their text has been delivered, when it actually hasn’t. In my opinion, you should still be able to access the text if needed, just like you can with a blocked callers VM

Puddum

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
I agree that the block callers function works great. If you were to need to access any voicemails, you could. What my post is talking about is the block text feature. The person being blocked receives a delivery receipt saying their text has been delivered, when it actually hasn’t. In my opinion, you should still be able to access the text if needed, just like you can with a blocked callers VM
Wow! That means it's hard to tell who's read a text and isn't getting around to responding or even forgets to respond vs someone who's blocked me but the text still says, "delivered". I do have an irate family member who's blocked many people. When we send her a text, though, it doesn't show "delivered".

Android User

Suspended
Jun 28, 2019
IOS 7 has a new feature which allows to completely block a number from calling and texting me.

I am curious if they get a message which says that they have been blocked, or it just keeps on ringing when they call and no one answers?

What happens if they send a text message? Do they get a reply saying: "you have been blocked" or just nothing and silence?

How do they know that their calls, voicemails and SMS's are not being seen by the receiver?

I am currently pissed off at someone and would prefer them to know that their messages are unwanted instead of them sending me messages thinking that I am reading them.

IOS 7 has a new feature which allows to completely block a number from calling and texting me.

I am curious if they get a message which says that they have been blocked, or it just keeps on ringing when they call and no one answers?

What happens if they send a text message? Do they get a reply saying: "you have been blocked" or just nothing and silence?

How do they know that their calls, voicemails and SMS's are not being seen by the receiver?

I am currently pissed off at someone and would prefer them to know that their messages are unwanted instead of them sending me messages thinking that I am reading them.

Hello,
Unfortunately I've had to block a person myself & used to wonder the same until I found out the person u blocked will Not know u blocked them.
If u want the person u blocked to know u blocked them in texts anyway... What I do is reply to the text & simply say this: "You have been blocked from sending texts & calls to this number" or something of the sort!

Reactions: fourthtunz

Ancient Luddite

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2019
Still cant do your own dirty work huh? Guess you just don't have the balls to tell someone you blocked them, Funny because thats were this thread all started. Full circle Kid. Guess thats a generational thing, good luck growing up.
Many people actually want to block calls because the person is a threat to them, not just because their feelings were hurt or simple juvenile pettiness is involved.
Any "block" which still allows a caller to pass on voice messages or texts is not a block at all. I've had friends pursued by actual criminals intent on doing them harm; perhaps recordings and texts will assist in court, when prosecuting a murderer, but generally these methods just encourage escalation of threats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.