Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Blogger.com is choking. My blog site (http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/) has been periodically unavailable and now for the last 48 hours I have not been able to post. I'm frustrated. I'm looking at other solutions for blogging. I'm interested in running the open-source WordPress <http://wordpress.org/> blogging software and I was wondering if anyone has experience with that?

Do you have other blogging software you would recommend?

I would like something that installs in my web server so I am no longer dependant on Blogger.com or some Nth party screwing things up. I would like to reduce the number of links in the chain that can fail. I do not want to use .Mac at all. I am leaning more towards a PHP/SQL type solution that I could install on my web server and then access via a web interface, email, FTP or Mac application.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
WordPress runs my blog (see sig) and I am quite happy with it. The wealth of plugins for it makes it easy to add almost any functionality you can dream up.

P.S. What you see is the default template. I am creating my own design right now nad hope to have something up and running here in a month or so. The templating features of Wordpress are very nice as you can create alot of different looks without haveing to mess with the guts of the system itself.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
You might find this article helpful. :)

I am leaning more towards a PHP/SQL type solution that I could install on my web server and then access via a web interface, email, FTP or Mac application.
If you mean you want to run your Mac as a server, I would suggest buying a hosting account instead (good choices include Myacen and TJR Networks). Home servers are fine for playing around with but connection speeds are usually very slow (remember you have to look at the upstream speed of your connection rather than the downstream speed) and you can't get the same stability as a datacenter can provide.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
theappleguy said:
You might find this article helpful. :)

Interesting article. Thanks.

theappleguy said:
If you mean you want to run your Mac as a server, I would suggest buying a hosting account instead

Yes, that is what I have. My eleven web sites are hosted on my reseller account at VONetworks and I'm reasonably pleased with them. Good price, more reliability and far greater speed than I could achieve over my own DSL connection.

I actually also host another test web site on my PowerBook Pismo here at home over our DSL connection that is accessible on the web just so I'm familiar with how it works and could easily switch over if need be in an emergancy.

I have been reading a lot about various options. WordPress looks the best and will save me from writing my own. I like that it is OpenSource. What I am interested in is something in PHP/MySQL like WordPress that I can install on my VONetwork hosted web sites so that when there are issues I can attend to them myself rather than trying to get Blogger to fix problems - difficult since they don't even respond to email except by robot. I'm going to go with WordPress and have already set it up although it is not publicly available yet. Check by in a week or so (early December 2005) if you want to see how it is going at http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/ after I have transfered over from Blogger.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
WordPress - Super easy, very popular. PHP-based. Mostly for blogs only.
Typo - Built w/ Rails, VERY inovative, and worth a look.
TextPattern - Very easy, popular, and a touch more CMS than WordPress.
Moveable Type - not free, not worth a look.
Drupal - Highly, highly configurable...full-blown CMS, free, open-source, but more difficult to set up.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
I've looked into WP, TP, and MT, and I've always sticked with WP for my blog (the rest of my website is done by hand). I am eventually going to look into Typo because I'm interested in what it has to offer. WP2 is looking really interesting right now too.
-Chase

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Josh said:
WordPress - Super easy, very popular. PHP-based. Mostly for blogs only.
Typo - Built w/ Rails, VERY inovative, and worth a look.
TextPattern - Very easy, popular, and a touch more CMS than WordPress.
Moveable Type - not free, not worth a look.
Drupal - Highly, highly configurable...full-blown CMS, free, open-source, but more difficult to set up.

Actually Moveable type is now completely free for 1 author. Unlimited weblogs. :)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Wordpress will give you the fastest and easiest to set up blog you can host on your own server. With a basic setup and a simple understanding of how it all fits together you can be up in minutes...

I personally recommend FatCow for hosting...they've got a great service and have never let us down. (I manage http://www.etiennedelessert.com/ off of FatCow, and we've been up and running for 2 years with 0 downtime and 0 problems. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.