Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am struggling to find the bluetooth classes of the most recent models of the Apple Watch. Does anyone know the class? 1, 2 or 3?

Thanks,
Tom.

Unido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response but I would like to know the class of bluetooth, not the version.

Bluetooth devices : There are three levels of Bluetooth power, described as Class 1, 2 and 3. Class 3, with the shortest range, has the lowest power – 1 mW. Class 2 is 2.5 mW. Class 1 is 100 mW.

AirPods are class 1 and Bose headphones are class 2. People sensitive to radiation have suffered with headaches etc whilst using AirPods as they are pretty much emitting the same radiation as having your wifi router strapped to your head. I'm not sensitive but its just interesting to know they are 50 times more powerful than Bose, hence why I am intrigued what the watch is.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....AirPods as they are pretty much emitting the same radiation as having your wifi router strapped to your head....
....or about the same amount of radiation as as a small night-light incandescent light strapped to your head.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I'm not sensitive but its just interesting to know they are 50 times more powerful than Bose, hence why I am intrigued what the watch is.

They should be, since my Bose QC is much easier to lose connection than my AirPods. (I’d say AirPods has like 2X distance of Bose (roughly) from my real world experience.

Unido

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
United Kingdom
It is all very interesting because for Bose to offer the same range as the AirPods, the price difference is negligible, there could be a health reason as to why they have decided to remain with Class 2 the same as all other manufacturers. I think Apple are the only ones to use Class 1 in headphones. Plus the AirPods are the only device Apple don't publicly publish the radiation values on their website, the last time I looked anyway.

I am not preaching it is something to worry about, I just find it all very interesting, we are all just guinea pigs but with cool tech :cool:

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
There is one thing to keep in mind though: even if the Bluetooth connection reaches power output levels of 67 mW and could potentially go up to 100 mW, it will rarely operate at those peak levels.

The Apple Watch Series 5 44 mm battery is rated at 1130 mWh. If all the energy of the battery was pumped into the Bluetooth connection, the battery would be completely drained in roughly 17 hours at a power output of 67 mW and in roughly 11 hours at a power output of 100 mW - JUST sustaining the Bluetooth connection and NOT doing anything else.
Since the watch has a display, various other components like a noise meter, a compass, apps running etc. power management dictates that Bluetooth must operate at far lower power levels than the peak levels measured or the highest levels theoretically possible.

In my use case I usually wear my Apple Watch 18 hours per day (mixed use of Bluetooth, WiFi and sometimes Cellular) and put it back on its charging stand with about 20% battery remaining.
80% of 1130 mWh are 904 mWh, distributed over 18 hours gives me a power consumption of the complete Apple Watch system of about 50 mW (or 0,05 W) per hour - and this energy is NOT used to only maintain Bluetooth (or any of the other wireless connections for that part), but to keep the complete system with all its components going. So the power output of the wireless connections during regular use ON AVERAGE should be well below 50 mW. Pretty unconcerning, even if worn on your wrist with zero distance.
Of course, the power output is always depending on your use case.
But even on peak levels, the power output of your wireless connections will not likely reach critical levels. There is just not enough power in the whole system.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
It is all very interesting because for Bose to offer the same range as the AirPods, the price difference is negligible, there could be a health reason as to why they have decided to remain with Class 2 the same as all other manufacturers. I think Apple are the only ones to use Class 1 in headphones. Plus the AirPods are the only device Apple don't publicly publish the radiation values on their website, the last time I looked anyway.

I am not preaching it is something to worry about, I just find it all very interesting, we are all just guinea pigs but with cool tech :cool:
Lower power consumption enables longer battery life.
My Bose QC phones have phenomenal battery life. I frequently fly to Asia and back without recharging them, and I keep them powered on the entire time — about 20 hours or more.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
There is one thing to keep in mind though: even if the Bluetooth connection reaches power output levels of 67 mW and could potentially go up to 100 mW, it will rarely operate at those peak levels.

The Apple Watch Series 5 44 mm battery is rated at 1130 mWh. If all the energy of the battery was pumped into the Bluetooth connection, the battery would be completely drained in roughly 17 hours at a power output of 67 mW and in roughly 11 hours at a power output of 100 mW - JUST sustaining the Bluetooth connection and NOT doing anything else.
Since the watch has a display, various other components like a noise meter, a compass, apps running etc. power management dictates that Bluetooth must operate at far lower power levels than the peak levels measured or the highest levels theoretically possible.

In my use case I usually wear my Apple Watch 18 hours per day (mixed use of Bluetooth, WiFi and sometimes Cellular) and put it back on its charging stand with about 20% battery remaining.
80% of 1130 mWh are 904 mWh, distributed over 18 hours gives me a power consumption of the complete Apple Watch system of about 50 mW (or 0,05 W) per hour - and this energy is NOT used to only maintain Bluetooth (or any of the other wireless connections for that part), but to keep the complete system with all its components going. So the power output of the wireless connections during regular use ON AVERAGE should be well below 50 mW. Pretty unconcerning, even if worn on your wrist with zero distance.
Of course, the power output is always depending on your use case.
But even on peak levels, the power output of your wireless connections will not likely reach critical levels. There is just not enough power in the whole system.
The Bluetooth doesn’t continually draw that much power. It sends beacon signals at regular intervals to look for devices, and probably doesn’t do so at full power. The full power is used when connected, such as transferring data or playing music to headphones. If you continually play music to headphones, your watch probably won’t last 18 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.