Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Since I updated to High Sierra reading PDFs on Preview is basically impossible. The program renders lines and fonts in a very blurry manner.

I also found this reddit discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/72lxjx/macos_high_sierra_blurry_pdfs_in_preview/

Is anyone else experiencing it? I'm on a 2012 MacBook Pro.

I downloaded 10.13.1 public beta with hopes of fixing but it did not happen. I'm really annoyed by this. Makes it unusable.

As a comparison, here is the same PDF in Preview and Adobe Reader, side by side:

PFrWF5l.png

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I've seen this problem with previous versions of Preview and OS X as well, but it's back for me with High Sierra. I don't really want to have Adobe Reader on my computer but Preview clearly has rendering issues.

Last edited:

CMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Fortunately, Apple is aware of the issue:

Thank you for your reply, Transgredi. And sorry for kind of duplicating your post. I searched but somehow missed it.

Well, if it helps, I filled another bug report. Hopefully if they see more of these they will give this the attention that's necessary. I will keep you updated if they reply.
[doublepost=1507214563][/doublepost]
I've seen this problem with previous versions of Preview and OS X as well, but it's back for me with High Sierra. I don't really want to have Adobe Reader on my computer but Preview clearly has rendering issues.

That's my opinion as well, I just installed adobe reader to compare. But Preview on Sierra was perfect, has always been perfect.

Yes, searching I found reports of this happening in previous systems as well. This is disgusting, and terrible. I'm deeply annoyed by the bad quality of this system overall.

Reactions: Transgredi

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I'm deeply annoyed by the bad quality of this system overall.

I'm inclined to think that Apple rushed out this update to meet an arbitrary deadline, rather than waiting until it was ready. I just see too many basic issues that should have been fixed. More optimistically, there is no reason why most of these glitches cannot be fixed over the next month or two.

Reactions: Transgredi and CMT

CMT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Just a small update:

Apple marked my bug report as duplicate. However, it's not a duplicate of the same Transgredi had. Mine says "DUPLICATE OF 32297343".

They didn't post any reply, not sure if they will.

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
I was just wondering if by any chance a fix (or workaround) has ever been found for this very annoying issue? It's been a while since it's been reported to Apple...

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
The kerning also seems questionable:

Preview (OS X):

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 10.50.49.png

Foxit Reader (Ubuntu Virtual Machine):

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 10.57.21.png

Note the spacing between "y" and "t".

Reactions: inarush

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Is this issue related to non-retina displays in particular?

[EDIT] Here's another example:

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 11.34.50.png

Two consecutive lines in the viewed document begin with the same word. The rendering of the two instances is markedly different.

For comparison:

f294dd836ccda40adc87c909ffc3e820.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Transgredi

w4z

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2018
i wrote a post a while ago, but nobody interested.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-pdf-issues.2123611/

test pdf; https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucv0i2gpcdlq7ah/macos_test_pdf.pdf?dl=1

i created a pdf file for testing. you can compare that with preview and acrobat reader, acrobat reader has no differences between converted and unconverted text but if you open in preview unconverted text looks bolder ( in sierra too )

i think its not just related to high sierra, i found similar issues on el capitan on my search

they changed pdfkit and anti-aliasing system, this caused too many issues. Also my pdf pages loading slower than sierra, images and backgrounds loading piece by piece like slow loading web page

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for your comment, w4z.

After posting yesterday I checked some PDF documents on an iPhone 5S. I found that the same or a similar rendering issue is present there, but it seems to particularly affect small text. On the 5S this text is too small to be read (it really is tiny) and the issues with rendering can only be properly seen after a screenshot is magnified. For text that is presented at a size that is normally legible, the rendering seems to be acceptable.

mister_bod

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2019
Thanks all for the details on this issue. I filled a bug report to apple that was flagged shortly thereafter as duplicate.
Can someone check whether this issue disappeared in the beta of 10.15 Catalina?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Since I never use Preview, I never noticed if I had the problem. I use PDF Expert. But, I just opened a PDF in Preview and opened the same document in PDF Expert, and yes I have the issue in Preview thumbsdown.gif

This is in Mojave on a cMP 5,1.

Lou

w4z

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2018
i forgot to paste my video link here, its showing how pages loading slowly like a web page and causing blinks/flashings, i cant use preview on presentations due to this problems, is this fixed in catalina?

also i purchased edge view from app store, its an image viewer app that support multiple image formats like pdf, jpeg, gif... with tab support, highly recommended

Adoeete

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
Thank god, they really fixed it on Catalina 10.15. I thought Sierra would be my last stop on this machine. Now both quick view and preview looks just as sharp as on Sierra and it's blazing fast on mid 2012 MBP non-retina.
??

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.