Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Sounds like the guys at BMW need to hire you for your sage advice, particularly since BMW crushes Audi in sales.

Audis are not BMWs, BTW.
You're missing the point. The optics of an expensive car coming with a subscription service...for a feature that other carmakers make available for free...makes BMW seem greedy. Also, while true that BMW moves more units than Audi in most markets, Audi outsells BMW in China fwiw.

I won't even respond to "Audis are not BMWs, BTW."

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
You're missing the point. The optics of an expensive car coming with a subscription service...makes BMW seem greedy.

I won't even respond to "Audis are not BMWs, BTW."
It doesn't matter what you think. I was pointing out that being free on Audi didn't mean Audi had any kind of sales edge as a result. Audi likely had to offer more free services because their cars don't sell as well as BMW.

zzmd

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
I agree. If you don't like their business model, don't buy the cars. They disclose this beforehand at the dealership. I chose to pay for the subscription because I wanted the convenience of CarPlay. I welcome this change and don't expect other services BMW offers to follow.
BMW has always been dismissive of tech upgrades to their cars. i think we can all multitask handsfree tech in our cars. BMW let tech engineers do their thing an your engineers make great driving machines they can coexis.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Really? This was a thing? Does BMW need to pay a large carplay licensing fee to Apple?

How about an annual subscription to use heater, AC, and key fob?

Why are they trying to spin this as a customer satisfaction issue? It would be like my doctor telling me he’ll stop hitting me with a mallet for my wellbeing.

zzmd

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
Agreed. We don’t need their idiotic archaic BMW connected services and charging an arm and a leg. Still no vehicle position beyond .6 of a miles.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
A subscription is just silly. The one time fee is obnoxious as well. I had to pay one to "upgrade" my Jaguar---I think it was like $150.00.

You're basically paying an unlock fee or software update fee.

It's bananas.

But CarPlay sure is nice.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Just here to see how this gets spun into BMW is evil thread.

At the end of the day, they did a pricing exercise, it met negative feedback and they listened to the consumer. Thats how business rolls people. Kudos to BMW

Or its possible Apple came down on them. Several people (including myself) sent letters to Craig Federighi asking Apple if they supported BMW using their IP and license to make money.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
So instead of just increasing the cost of the car for the licensing fees for Apple CarPlay and only charging those who wanted to use the feature, they will just increase the price of the car for everyone to include the license fee. They tried something different that consumers weren't happy about and have changed course. What people don't understand is that Apple does not allow manufacturers to include CarPlay without paying the license fees for it.

Apple does not charge a license fee for CarPlay.

Reactions: trigf

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I don't get this. I purchased an aftermarket Pioneer stereo with CarPlay for my Ford and there is no charge to have it. Why did BMW even do this? Is this actually a pure greedy money grab or is there something I'm missing?

Reactions: cjgrif and mike2q

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Now they need to figure out why their modern engines burn so much oil from the factory. My 30 year old bimmers never burned a drop.

michaeldlord

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Santa Fe_New Mexico
The wireless CarPlay experience in my Countryman was awesome, until it wasn't. Wireless CarPlay has been broken in my car since iOS 13 debuted. From what I've been reading a lot of BMW/MINI owners are experiencing the issues. BMW probably figured if it's free, we can wash our hands of issues instead of throwing resources at iDrive updates.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
It doesn't matter what you think. I was pointing out that being free on Audi didn't mean Audi had any kind of sales edge as a result. Audi likely had to offer more free services because their cars don't sell as well as BMW.

Ok good sir. Have a good day. I sense some aggression. If it's because of your BMW subscription fee, take it out on them lol!

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It's too late; after many years of owning BMWs, I got rid of my last one about a year ago.

While not the primary factor in moving on from BMW, it was a key factor at deciding to look at other brands.

Happy with the move.

Reactions: MistrSynistr

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
BMWs aren't overpriced. Neither are Apple products. Confused.
I've owned nearly every single Apple product made but I can understand why consumers label them as overpriced. Never owned a BMW but I imagine the same goes for them as well.

Many consumers simply value brand name over specific products or features. There are no wrong consumers nor confusion for me.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
If I had bought a BMW, I would not have paid extra for it. Then again, I may look at buying from another competitor.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I guess greedy didn’t pay off now customers need to stop buying until they go back to free maintenance for the first 4 yrs like the old days. The money they made surely went into the pockets of the CEO’s.

zendzero

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2019
I just fought them on this about a month ago for my ‘19 4 series. I called BMW, and said it was BS as they are a luxury car brand, and very sad that CP is standard on all other brands that offer, including cars costing a fraction of the cost. Their justification for the annual $80 bucks was you’re paying for the wireless CP functionality.............sure, and the screen is not even touch screen.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
If you can afford a brand new BMW then why are you so riled up about paying $80 a year. That should be toilet paper for you.

Reactions: G5isAlive

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
It's unbelievable that BMW is trying to make money. What a bunch of greedy corporate running dogs!

Cars should be free! Everything should be free! Just like in the worker's paradise of the USSR! Those were the days, comrades, when we could ride our Volgas and marvel at the glory of our society.

BMW are making money but a monthly subscription for this?
what next a weekly sub to keep your tyres inflated?

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I’ve never considered a BMW before. After seeing this, I never will. Makes me wonder what other ways they screw people over. There are too many competitors.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I guess greedy didn’t pay off now customers need to stop buying until they go back to free maintenance for the first 4 yrs like the old days. The money they made surely went into the pockets of the CEO’s.
My new one came with 4 years free maintenance in Canada do they not in the US anymore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.