Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I ordered a SSD recently and am wondering about the impact of the many writes WCG projects will have on it. I'm considering offloading the data to another drive, but cannot decide which one (or how to do that.)

1. Ramdisk - The issue here is a reset would lose everything.
2. SD card - I have an old 8 gig card and never use the slot. Would leaving a card in there all the time damage the slot?
3. cheap flash drive - it would use up one of my ports. :(
4. abuse the SSD - I have it, I might as well use it.
5. throw the data folder onto my firewire drive - I'm not using all 3 TB anyways, but this would keep waking the drive up.

Opinions?

EDIT: It seems I can't write to the SD card. I checked that it was unlocked too. odd.
EDITEDIT: sliding the card in and out repeatedly in frustration fixed it. Probably not the best idea, but it worked.

Last edited:

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I think BOInc writes to the disk often, but its been a while since I was a BOINC support volunteer.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
It will wear faster than normal but others say no. They cost to much to find out. I install boinc (program) on my ssd and the data on a hard drive. Works just fine.

valdigre

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Refreshing the subject a bit.

I am trying to follow the official tutorial to move the Boinc Data folder from /Library/Application Support to external hard drive, but the folder does not exist in this location. It does not exist anywere on the Mac drive...

Also, I was trying to copy over the Boinc manager .app to external drive but it will not let me, because of some security permission setup, even when I try to do it as sudo...

I am using the 7.26 or something version.

Any help?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Upon further reflection, I doubt BOINC will noticeably degrade an SSD. As much as I paid for it, I intend to use it.

valdigre

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Boinc on itself will not degrade your disk, however some projects are reported to make huge amounts of disk operations/writes.

One of those is on World Communicty Grid, which I want to join. The project is called "The clean energy project - Phase 2" and one lad measured 70 GB a day per worker, which - if you ask me - is not something I would like to be pushing on my SSD.

Anyway, will someone be able to help me with the original questions:

- I can't find the BOINC Data folder in /Library/Application Support
- Unable to copy over .app Boinc Manager to other drive, due to some security constraints...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It was frustrating to see that Boinc wouldn't install to my Mac Mini's internal 1TB Drive but insisted on being installed to the SSD drive because it was the OS drive. I am not worried because I'm using a $160 Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB for the OS but would be nice to have all those writes happen on the spinning disk.

Would doing a http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/05/how-...unes-backup-folder-to-an-external-hard-drive/ work?

ln -s /Volumes/External/iOSBackup/ ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup --- basically something like that but for the data folder.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Boinc will not run if you do this. I successfully set up the link but it keeps saying the permissions are wrong and it needs to be reinstalled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.