Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
OK, there are a number of threads asking for some basic info on recording etc.

Lets post the stuff we found useful when starting or continuing our recording/audio careers....

This thread is for resources like books, sites, DVD's etc.

To begin:

Modern Recording Techniques (6th edition)

Huber and Runstien

An excellent and well constructed introduction to serious recording with some essential information for the recording of audio and some very cool background and advanced information.

Attachments

• 0240806255.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    0240806255.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 896

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Handbook for Sound Engineers, Third Edition.
Publisher: Focal Press; 3 edition (April 12, 2005)
ISBN: 0240807588

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, by Gary Davis and Ralph Jones.

Publisher: Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation; 2nd edition (March 1990)
ISBN: 0881889008

this is one of those must-have publications. i find i'm constantly picking it up. there's so much information in there it makes my head spin.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Sound on Sound magazine - UK - my #1 top pick for magazines without a doubt.

Electronic Musician US, Superior magazine for home recording and computer-based recording

FutureMusic magazine UK Slanted toward urban and elctronic styles (a substandard US edition is also published. Get the UK edition unless you particularly want N American ads.)

Computer Music magazine UK - A bit too Gee-Whiz for my tastes.

Anything written by Craig Anderton
Home Recording for Musicians

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Highly recommended:

Behind the Glass by Howard Massey
Mixing with Your Mind by Michael Stavrou
The Mixing Engineers Handbook by Bobby Osinski
The Recording Engineers Handbook by Bobby Osinski
Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science by Bob Katz
Modern Recording Techniques by David Miles Huber

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
Depends on your approach, but the Computer Music Tutorial by Curtis Roads is a fantastic book. It won't talk about Logic, or Garageband, but if you really take the production of music on your computer seriously (and I mean, the making of music using a computer, rather than using it to record or recording MIDI tracks - such as using Max/MSP or Pure Data etc) this is indispensible.

Sammio2

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2008
Sound and Recording (Fifth Edition) - Rumsey | McCormick
ISBN 0240519965

NEW: Master Handbook of Acoustics (Fifth Edition) - Everest | Pohlmann
ISBN 9780071603324

Sound on Sound - Magazine

Music Tech - Magazine

Last edited:

tuneup

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, by Gary Davis and Ralph Jones.

Publisher: Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation; 2nd edition (March 1990)
ISBN: 0881889008

this is one of those must-have publications. i find i'm constantly picking it up. there's so much information in there it makes my head spin.

This is a must! I own it and It helps your game so much.

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
macprovideo

Hi I'd like to add these video tutorials to the great list above. macprovideo have great Logic and Pro Tools videos (and I've watched a fair few!)

For a really interesting tutorial on Sound, I found this very useful:
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/sound

Then if you are getting to the mixing stage in Logic, the Olav Basoski and David Isaac's Mixing tutorials are incredible. My mixes sound better thanks to these guys.

Check out SoS mag for good tutorials too:
http://www.soundonsound.com/

buffoon38

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Home Recording Power! by Ben Milstead

This book is for "Set Up Your Own Recording Studio For Personal and Professional Use".....

Have fun!!!

inndygo

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Lafayette, LA
Logic 8 Audio/Digital Interface Recommendation

I have finally given in and purchased an imac in order to simplify recording and mixing by using tools that allow you to focus on creativity instead of technical hinderances. The PC format has crippled for the last time! lol
I am taking my time to chose which software and hardware interface I will purchase. I purchased the mac so that I could buy Pro Tools.

I have been going between Pro Tools LE 8 with the MBOX 2 Pro or 003 Rack.
I now have stumbled on LogicPro 8. It seems to be a better solution for me as I am not a full time musician or engineer. But someone that wants to record and arrange my original music and make a decent sounding CD that I can share with friends and also post on a website. My direction will incorporate video, when I get there.

If I chose LogicPro, what is the best entry level (not tremendously expensive) interface with Midi. I hear that any will work but I really got alot out of your postings and would like your opinion. I was prepared to either buy MBOX2 Pro or 003 Rack at approx. $800-1000. This is alot for me to consider but I don't mind paying it if I know it will work seamlessly.'' I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
There are some magazines that I really enjoy: Future Music, Computer Music, and Music Tech. Also, Music Tech has special focus issues that zero in on certain products or DAW's (e.g. they have focus issues for Logic, Ableton, Guitar recording, etc.). And the magazines come with dvd's of free and demo software and plugins, and samples, etc.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Principles of Digital Audio by Ken Pohlmann is regarded as the Bible of digital audio fundamentals. It is a good foundational book to help engineers understand digital audio from the ground up.

From there, a stronger understanding of optimal recording techniques can be built... The problem today relates to the so-called Loudness Wars.... or the tendency to push amplitude to the limits of the medium, while sacrificing dynamics. This is so backward since digital audio has much more dynamic range than most analog media.

What should have happened is engineers finding ways to use digital audio to produce even more dynamic recordings than ever. But the opposite has happened, partly because unlike the analog medium, digital audio doesn't necessarily require one to be an expert in every fine aspect of controlling sound . You can get a "passable" result in digital audio or video without necessarily being an expert in acoustics, sampling, light, sound, etc... but even to get a passable result in analog you have to be part scientist, part artist.

Schools are charging more to teach less and making a better profit... at the expense of quality that program directors and industry heads don't care about because their studies show them that louder average volume makes the listener less likely to change the station.

Pohlmann's book is a must read for any engineer who wants to ascend to the ranks of a Trevor Horn, Glynn Johns or Bruce Swedien, and become an indispensable genius in the art and science of sonic perfection.

digitalmedia

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
How to start and run a book club, solving book club problems, creating your own reading guide, how to choose books to ... Reading guides, discussion guides and book club guides for exceptional books. .... Book Club Recommendations ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.