Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Location Sound Bible by Ric Viers. Start to finish, a good read for the beginner. Not too much detail, not too arcane. Very helpful.

JayBayAye8

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
I've been reading this site LedgerNote lately, particularly all of the guides and tips in these two columns:
Some of the other sections are still growing but those two have touched on pretty much everything I could have needed.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Been like 4 years since this thread has had a post, but I just found it, so I'll bring it back with some of my music/recording/production book recommendations:
  • Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior: Covers all facets of the audio mixing process, from studio monitor setups to advanced compression techniques. Great for beginners as well as experienced audio engineers.
  • Recording Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior: This book is oriented towards both novices and professionals alike and discusses various recording techniques, from simple mic setups for guitar and piano to advanced Decca tree setups for orchestral recording.
  • 101 Montunos by Rebeca Mauleón-Santana: An amazing guide to the Montuno, the basic piano pattern played in Salsa/Son music. To me though, this book isn’t limited to pianists. Guitarists, bassists, and even drummers can learn from the material presented in this book.
  • The Jazz Standards: A Guide to the Repertoire by Ted Gioia: One of the most well-known guides to the jazz repertoire, this book has gone through numerous editions and gets better with every one. Gioia gives short, yet comprehensive, descriptions of nearly every jazz standard a musician is likely to encounter, with suggested recordings of each one.
  • Complete Guide to Film Scoring: The Art and Business or Writing Music for Movies and TV by Richard Davis: A fantastic introduction to the film music industry, with in-depth chapters on all facets of the film composing process, including spotting, orchestration, and the business side of media composition.
  • Scoring the Screen: The Secret Language of Film Music by Andy Hill: This masterfully-crafted book analyzes countless film and television scores from a musical perspective, from Bernard Herrmann’s famous score for Vertigo, to John Powell’s score for How to Train Your Dragon. It is one of few books that analyzes film scores purely from a musical standpoint, and is well worth a read for those wanting to take a deep dive into the world of media composing.
  • Virtual Orchestration YouTube channel - Berklee in collaboration with Orchestral Tools creating some great videos about MIDI, orchestration, and production
I'll add to this post if I think of other recommendations!

Reactions: Avatar74

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
If nobody's already mentioned it, in addition to the excellent book by Huber:

• Mastering Audio by Bob Katz
  • Principles of Digital Audio by Ken Pohlmann

On the business side:

• This Business of Music by Sidney Shemel and M. William Krasilovsky
  • All You Need to Know About the Music Business by Don Passman

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.