Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msdaniellesummers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
Hello, I'm trying to use Bootcamp Assistant to install Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro mid 2012, (MacBookPro9,2). I'm using a USB however it makes it through the entire process only to reboot into Windows 10, let me select the language and then when it reboots again, it doesn't detect the windows install USB anymore and I can only boot back into Mac. Not sure if this is because Macbook's with optical drives aren't able to boot into Windows using USBs, or if Bootcamp Assistant just botched the install? Either way, I'd like to try to use a DVD to install Windows, but since I'm in Mojave Bootcamp Assistant is only letting me use a USB to do it. Is there a way around this that anyone knows of, or am I just going about this the wrong way? Any help would be appreciated!

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Hello, I'm trying to use Bootcamp Assistant to install Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro mid 2012, (MacBookPro9,2). I'm using a USB however it makes it through the entire process only to reboot into Windows 10, let me select the language and then when it reboots again, it doesn't detect the windows install USB anymore and I can only boot back into Mac. Not sure if this is because Macbook's with optical drives aren't able to boot into Windows using USBs, or if Bootcamp Assistant just botched the install? Either way, I'd like to try to use a DVD to install Windows, but since I'm in Mojave Bootcamp Assistant is only letting me use a USB to do it. Is there a way around this that anyone knows of, or am I just going about this the wrong way? Any help would be appreciated!

Shut down your Mac and unplug the USB drive, then try this:

1) Restart your Mac, then when you hear the system startup chime, immediately hold Cmd+Opt+P+R. This will clear the Mac's NVRAM and your system will immediately restart. Then, wait for the chime and hold the keys again. Repeat until you have cleared the NVRAM 3 times in a row (that is, until you hear the startup chime for the 4th time).

2) After the 4th startup chime, hold the Option key. This will display the Startup Manager and allow you to choose a boot disk. If Windows installed successfully, it should show up on this screen and you can select the Windows drive to start from it.

If Windows starts normally, then you can install the Boot Camp support software (which should have been downloaded when you first ran Boot Camp) to install Windows drivers and the Boot Camp Control Panel, which will let you choose whether to start with Windows or macOS by default.

Report back with how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.