Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghokun

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Just broke my micless earpods connector. Any chance that I can fix this? (A link to a tutorial would be great). or should I buy a new one :confused:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 4,078

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Agreed-you need a new one but there is a SLIGHT chance Apple will replace it for free if you go to the store. Especially if your iPhone is still under warranty and it came with it.

Hope this helps.

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
If your iDevice is under warranty, Apple will usually replace it.

Maybe call into Apple Care and say that your earpods have "no sound". ;)

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Apple's warranty does not cover accessories.

Buy a new pair of earphones/whatever. I would never pay the $29 that Apple charges for these. There are far better earphones in the $30-50 range from other manufacturers.

There are more comments about earphones in this recent thread.

chunheisiu

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2013
San Francisco, CA

Buy a new pair of earphones/whatever. I would never pay the $29 that Apple charges for these. There are far better earphones in the $30-50 range from other manufacturers.

There are more comments about earphones in this recent thread.

I doubt it. I once had a pair of Apple Earphones (The pre-EarPods ones) with no sound on one of the sides, and got it replaced for free at the Genius Bar.

Ghokun

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Buy a new one. Look on amazon for possibly a better set of headphones.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I will try to replace them at an Apple store. But since I stumbled the earpods while they were hanging from my laptop, I don't think they are going to replace them.

I guess I better look for a better set on amazon.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

You sure about that?

WHAT IS COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?
Apple Inc. of One Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California, U.S.A. 95014 (“Apple”) warrants the Apple-branded iPhone, iPad or iPod hardware product and accessories contained in the original packaging (“Apple Product”) against defects in materials and workmanship when used normally in accordance with Apple's published guidelines for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period"). Apple’s published guidelines include but are not limited to information contained in technical specifications, user manuals and service communications.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Perhaps I wrote my statement incorrectly, but the end conclusion is the same.

There is nothing in normal user behavior that should result in a broken connector from Apple EarPods. User-caused damage is not under warranty.

If a Genius replaced these free of charge, it was because he/she was feeling generous (and maybe had some spare pairs). Heck, the COGS on these things are probably three bucks, it's not like Apple is going to file bankruptcy is an Apple Genius comps a pair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.