Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
sorry for all the posts, I am a total newb. I have all my pics on my PC. I backed them all up on dvd using Roxio easy cd creator. When I put the dvd in my powerbook it doesn't show anything. Any ideas? I have Toast installed on the PB too.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
How did you burn all the pics? Did you just put all image files onto the dvd or did you burn it as a VCD or something. If you just dragged all the pictures onto the DVD it should work fine. Try it on another computer to test.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Roxio Easy CD Creator -- the source of some traps for the unwary.

Did you close the session and finalise the disk or whatever they call it?

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
all I did was create a data dvd, dragged all my pics to it and let it burn. It auto finalizes. I runs fine on the PC but mac doesn't even recognize it. If I open toast, it sees it but not sure what to do with that. Guess I'm SOL. I'll try re-burning again and see what happens.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Learjet035 said:
all I did was create a data dvd, dragged all my pics to it and let it burn. It auto finalizes. I runs fine on the PC but mac doesn't even recognize it. If I open toast, it sees it but not sure what to do with that. Guess I'm SOL. I'll try re-burning again and see what happens.
One sign of insanity is to keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result. Two possibilities: 1. Make sure that the file system that you use to burn your DVD is useable on the Mac. 2. Perhaps autofinalized DVDs are not truly finalized. If you can see the files when you open the DVD in Toast on the Mac, you may try to finalize the DVD on the Mac. Alternatively, make sure that your Windows Toast settings ensure true finalization.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
MisterMe said:
One sign of insanity is to keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result. Two possibilities: 1. Make sure that the file system that you use to burn your DVD is useable on the Mac. 2. Perhaps autofinalized DVDs are not truly finalized. If you can see the files when you open the DVD in Toast on the Mac, you may try to finalize the DVD on the Mac. Alternatively, make sure that your Windows Toast settings ensure true finalization.

What is the filesystem of DVD's? It can't be CDFS, or HFS... hold on googling: UDF Bridge System http://www.burnworld.com/dvd/primer/filesystem.htm Considering that article, every OS that reads DVD's should be compatible with the FS that it uses.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
I have noticed the same problem with some cds burnt on windows machines. It had some videos. Finder did not recognize it at all. But if I run VPC, then it shows up within 'my computer'. :confused:

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
what media is being used?

Generic CD/DVD media isn't always compatible with every optical drive out there, even new ones. A simple example ist that the CD player in my car accepts some brands of CD-RW audio CDs, and spits out others. I have heard of Staples brand DVD-R's not working in some Powerbooks. If you are using a generic brand DVD-R, that could be the problem.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I believe the CD/DVDs need to be burned ISO9660 complient for them to show up on anything except Windows. The actual media used won't make a difference (unless it's DVD+ media and your Mac doesn't read DVD+ media..)

O'Yellow

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
yellow said:
I believe the CD/DVDs need to be burned ISO9660 complient for them to show up on anything except Windows. The actual media used won't make a difference (unless it's DVD+ media and your Mac doesn't read DVD+ media..)

O'Yellow
The way you worded that it sounds like you're saying ISO9660 isn't compliant with Windows, which it is. You can get plug-ins to read HFS/+ on PC. I have it, and you can burn HFS on windows, yet you can't read them... So strange.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
slooksterPSV said:
The way you worded that it sounds like you're saying ISO9660 isn't compliant with Windows, which it is.

I was not trying to say that.

What I was trying to say was that I was under the impressions that BY DEFAULT, burning data DVDs/CDs in Windows did NOT create ISO9660 compliant DVDs/CDs. I was under the impression that you had to explicitly tell the burning software to do this.. Am I incorrect?

O'Yellow

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
yellow said:
I was not trying to say that.

What I was trying to say was that I was under the impressions that BY DEFAULT, burning data DVDs/CDs in Windows did NOT create ISO9660 compliant DVDs/CDs. I was under the impression that you had to explicitly tell the burning software to do this.. Am I incorrect?

O'Yellow

Hmm.... that sounds right, but then what are we burning it at??? Lets see (opens nero).... No it looks like ISO9660 is my default, but thats my nero... anyone know the default burning? It could be a difference in Mode 1 and Mode 2 XA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.