Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Soo ... I just ordered an Apple TV 4K 64GB. Got it for €197 new, which should be roughly the same price as Apples Black Friday price considering last years discount. Really wanted to wait for a new model, but I have to buy it this year due to tax reasons, so I guess I'll have to settle for a smaller upgrade than expected from my Apple TV 3.

• Love
Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Soo ... I just ordered an Apple TV 4K 64GB. Got it for €197 new, which should be roughly the same price as Apples Black Friday price considering last years discount. Really wanted to wait for a new model, but I have to buy it this year due to tax reasons, so I guess I'll have to settle for a smaller upgrade than expected from my Apple TV 3.

I feel ya, I am giving up and getting one on my next paycheck knowing in 6 months a much better version will be out

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

Great choice. It's a H U G E upgrade from the Apple TV 3 from March 2012.
I'm sure that you'll notice the difference instantly in performance terms, no buffering, Dolby Digital+ and Atmos, super smooth frame rate playback and the beautiful U.I. along with apps of your choice. You'll love it!

Reactions: JBaby and Poki

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Great choice. It's a H U G E upgrade from the Apple TV 3 from March 2012.
I'm sure that you'll notice the difference instantly in performance terms, no buffering, Dolby Digital+ and Atmos, super smooth frame rate playback and the beautiful U.I. along with apps of your choice. You'll love it!

Thanks, that's what I hope. Also, I'm really looking forward to have a YouTube app that actually works as well as (hopefully) more reliable AirPlay, so it's probably worth it.

Buy it now, the current model is just fine with all the 4k content. We're a long way off having the Apple TV 8k

I'm not really interested in 8K – in fact, I'm still using a 1080p TV, though it's a very nice one. It's just – like everyone, I hate buying something that will be outdated in a few months. But then again, Apple could just as well wait another two years before updating the Apple TV again – the A10X chip is more than capable enough to stream 4K content after all.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Thanks, that's what I hope. Also, I'm really looking forward to have a YouTube app that actually works as well as (hopefully) more reliable AirPlay, so it's probably worth it.

I'm not really interested in 8K – in fact, I'm still using a 1080p TV, though it's a very nice one. It's just – like everyone, I hate buying something that will be outdated in a few months. But then again, Apple could just as well wait another two years before updating the Apple TV again – the A10X chip is more than capable enough to stream 4K content after all.

Oh most definitely! AirPlay is superb on both Apple TV HD & Apple TV 4K. Do try and use the 5ghz setting if using WiFi as it's both faster and less prone to interference. 2.4ghz WiFi is a nightmare where I live due to neighbours routers causing the most terrible interference on the 2.4 setting. Right now my 400mbps fibre broadband is registering 403mbps on the 5ghz setting, the other night, the 2.4ghz setting register 0.3mbps!!!!!!!!

Don't forget to set 'Match Frame Rate' in the settings so that everything will play at the correct frame rate - that means no judder and buttery smooth motion. As a contrast, your Apple TV 3 played everything at 30 fps which is not ideal for film which would have judder when panning etc.

Don't worry about an 8K Apple TV, that is still a few years away.
Whilst many would argue of course that traditional film would not benefit from 8K, there are many that are turning to digital now and are shooting in 8K - extreme sports - skiing and snowboarding films are a great example. It all has a very very exciting future and i'm thrilled and inspired by it all!!!!!

Reactions: JBaby

ciki62

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2017
But the current model it’s 2 years old . Since when will Apple support it’s software ?
I want to buy an Apple TV 4K 3 months now , but I hear the rumours for a new model and i m still waiting .
Honestly I don’t know what to do , I need a tv streamer ASAP but I would like to buy the new one , if ever going to be a new one !!

Next day you buy NEW ONE it will not be new one

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
AT&T has the ATV 4k 32gb for $90 now. That is a great deal, but wonder if it means a new one is right around the corner.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I am taking advantage of ATT deal today as I have been planning on buying one to upgrade our 2nd gen version. Worried about not having the plug in to restore if ever needed, but too good of a price.

Reactions: Project Alice

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I barely use my Apple TV second gen now but I’m interested in Apple TV+. Does anyone know why it wouldn’t be supported on second generation devices? This may make me jump on AT&T’s deal.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
2nd gen doesn't support TVos is why you cant get apple tv+ on 2nd gen.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm still using a third gen Apple TV which doesn't have tvOS either and is pretty much identical to the second gen one except for 1080p support, and it did indeed get the TV app a few months ago and it does support ATV+ now.

Reactions: JBaby

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I barely use my Apple TV second gen now but I’m interested in Apple TV+. Does anyone know why it wouldn’t be supported on second generation devices? This may make me jump on AT&T’s deal.
It will be supported on many other devices other than an Apple TV; should you choose to not take advantage of that deal. It will work on Roku's, Amazon Fire, and through a web browser too. I'd hope that at some point it will come to PlayStation and XBOX, too.

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
2nd gen doesn't support TVos is why you cant get apple tv+ on 2nd gen.
I have a 2nd gen. I tried to airplay the new shows from my iPad to the Apple TV box and said it can’t. It’s odd as the trailers do work. Any ideas?

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I'm not sure that's true. I'm still using a third gen Apple TV which doesn't have tvOS either and is pretty much identical to the second gen one except for 1080p support, and it did indeed get the TV app a few months ago and it does support ATV+ now.
Apple TV 3rd gen isnt the same as 2nd gen.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Apple TV 3rd gen isnt the same as 2nd gen.

I know, but you said the reason the 2nd gen doesn't support TV+ is because it doesn't run tvOS, which isn't true since the 3rd gen doesn't run tvOS either.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
so maybe we'll see one today with the Macbook refresh. I hope we do. Buyersguide says don't buy

No way! Not until next year now, maybe even September - that should guarantee a A13X chip ;) HMDI 2.1, Bluetooth5, and WiFi6. DEFINITELY super essentials over the next few years that are worth waiting for!

My advice is buy now and thoroughly enjoy it. Next year when the new model launches, you can simply sell it on eBay for a very decent price OR be a true decent dude and give it to a friend as a very kind piece of niceness :) Apple TV is the gift that keeps on giving - buy the new model every 2 or 3 years - get a lot of pleasure from it and then pass it on!

Reactions: TwoBytes

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
OR be a true decent dude and give it to a friend as a very kind piece of niceness :) Apple TV is the gift that keeps on giving - buy the new model every 2 or 3 years - get a lot of pleasure from it and then pass it on!

Best post on MR of the month! Be that guy folks. Share the love, be a good human like this inspired sir.

• Love
Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I was leaning toward getting an Apple TV 4K. Did the "put in my bag", and couldn't pull the trigger. Part of the reason is my main set-up still uses an optical connection. Only the first 2 gens of Apple TV support that.

I ended up solving my situation by upgrading my TV. The Samsung includes an Apple TV app. The UI on the tv itself is awkward (bloatware and ads). I'm not a fan of the "in movie" UI of Apple TV, and it's no better/worse. For All Mankind is beautiful to watch.

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I have owned every version of the Apple TV dating back to the original. Its been quite a long journey and many lessons learned. The concept and idea of an all in one media center is getting closer to fruition with today's many streaming services. That being said, Apple needs to get these devices and make Apple TV+ service available in as many places as possible at a low cost. I do hope there is another Apple TV with better hardware specs and improvements but I don't see Apple very prioritized on it.

My dream would be that the Apple TV had as much capability as your iPhone or Smart Speaker (Why not your TV?). It would be nice to get information this way, see maps, maybe read text messages like apple car play, use Safari, etc.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I have owned every version of the Apple TV dating back to the original. Its been quite a long journey and many lessons learned. The concept and idea of an all in one media center is getting closer to fruition with today's many streaming services. That being said, Apple needs to get these devices and make Apple TV+ service available in as many places as possible at a low cost. I do hope there is another Apple TV with better hardware specs and improvements but I don't see Apple very prioritized on it.

My dream would be that the Apple TV had as much capability as your iPhone or Smart Speaker (Why not your TV?). It would be nice to get information this way, see maps, maybe read text messages like apple car play, use Safari, etc.

I'm that guy! Apple TV has been my only media box since March 2012 and it's been the most pleasurable and stress free experience ever with 100% reliability and beautiful UI along with beautiful remote & iPhone remote along with incredible Apple I.D. iTunes iPhone & Mac integration.

Since March 2012, it replaced a disc player (remember those?) and a satellite TV box. I'm not a 'conventional' TV broadcast viewer being an internet guy, so Apple TV was the answer to my prayers.

I don't see the need for maps or iMessage on it when EVERYBODY carries their iPhone with them. Humans can over complicate simple things and adding too much to the Apple TV would do that.
[automerge]1573663973[/automerge]
Best post on MR of the month! Be that guy folks. Share the love, be a good human like this inspired sir.
Respect to You kind Sir!

Reactions: George Dawes

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
No way! Not until next year now, maybe even September - that should guarantee a A13X chip ;) HMDI 2.1, Bluetooth5, and WiFi6. DEFINITELY super essentials over the next few years that are worth waiting for!
Considering internal build of iOS 13 mentioned new Apple TV model (J305), new model will likely arrive next spring (March 2020 event?) not September.

HDMI 2.1 is a given but it is rumored to use A12 (not A12X). That's a bit disappointing as many Apple Arcade titles struggle on A10X Apple TV 4K in 4K resolution. Perhaps switching to A12 will help Apple reduce cost? I wouldn't even mind a remote-less SKU (you must use iPhone or iPad as the remote, or buy the Siri remote separately) if it can be sold at $99 or less.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Considering internal build of iOS 13 mentioned new Apple TV model (J305), new model will likely arrive next spring (March 2020 event?) not September.

HDMI 2.1 is a given but it is rumored to use A12 (not A12X). That's a bit disappointing as many Apple Arcade titles struggle on A10X Apple TV 4K in 4K resolution. Perhaps switching to A12 will help Apple reduce cost? I wouldn't even mind a remote-less SKU (you must use iPhone or iPad as the remote, or buy the Siri remote separately) if it can be sold at $99 or less.

Just rumours from many months ago that really did not flourish. Not convinced that Apple would fit an 'old' A12 to their flagship Apple TV 4K in 2020. If it launches next September, then it may copy what the last ATV 4K did and go with the last chip ie A10X chip when the A11 had been launched. Maybe we'll see the A13X in the new ATV 4K.

Let's wait and see but with the quality of the current one along with Arcade, it's highly unlikely that Apple would cut corners and fit a basic chip UNLESS they decide to sell a basic ATV 4K with A12 @ £149 and the ATV 4K Pro at £199 aimed at enthusiasts and gamers?

Apple are on an absolute roll so exciting times :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.