Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Let's wait and see but with the quality of the current one along with Arcade, it's highly unlikely that Apple would cut corners and fit a basic chip UNLESS they decide to sell a basic ATV 4K with A12 @ £149 and the ATV 4K Pro at £199 aimed at enthusiasts and gamers?
Good theory. Apple TV with A12 and 32GB replacing Apple TV HD ($149) on the low-end and Apple TV with A13X and 64GB (perhaps bumped to 128GB) replacing Apple TV 4K ($199) fits into their narrative.

Either way, I would hold on getting the current Apple TV 4K unless it is heavily discounted on Black Friday (or AT&T brings $90 deal again).

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Good theory. Apple TV with A12 and 32GB replacing Apple TV HD ($149) on the low-end and Apple TV with A13X and 64GB (perhaps bumped to 128GB) replacing Apple TV 4K ($199) fits into their narrative.

Either way, I would hold on getting the current Apple TV 4K unless it is heavily discounted on Black Friday (or AT&T brings $90 deal again).

To me, it's a really great sign that Apple have not updated the current two year old model this year - it means that something is not quite ready and that they are not rushing anything to market.
I am a little uncomfortable though with Apple still selling a very outdated HD only Apple TV 4 at 4 years old at a super high price. It really should have been axed in September 2017 when the 4K model was launched.

Reactions: Project Alice

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
To me, it's a really great sign that Apple have not updated the current two year old model this year - it means that something is not quite ready and that they are not rushing anything to market.
I am a little uncomfortable though with Apple still selling a very outdated HD only Apple TV 4 at 4 years old at a super high price. It really should have been axed in September 2017 when the 4K model was launched.
While Siri Remote has some supporters, it has been widely panned. With Apple becoming more receptive to striking a better balance between form and function, I am hopeful for a redesign.

That said, Apple TV app is being ported to most TV platforms. Currently Samsung and TCL. LG, Sony, and Vizio in the near future.

IMO, Apple TV set top box must thus evolve as something more than an add-on to older TV sets. Perhaps competing more directly against low-end consoles, leveraging Apple Arcade.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
While Siri Remote has some supporters, it has been widely panned. With Apple becoming more receptive to striking a better balance between form and function, I am hopeful for a redesign.

Since I only upgraded from my ATV3 to a 4K two weeks ago, I still have a fresh perspective on the remote, and I have to say it's brilliant compared to any other set top box remote I tried. I'm still discovering new features regularly, like being able to use the touch pad as a d-pad when you simply tap in one of the four directions instead of swiping. Improvements are always great, but I think the current iteration is already a great remote.

Well, except the Siri part. Seems like you first have to press the Siri button to get to search, and then press it again, keep it pressed and wait for ages before it allows you to speak. That's pretty bad, even compared to Amazons cheap Alexa remote.

Reactions: JBaby

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Since I only upgraded from my ATV3 to a 4K two weeks ago, I still have a fresh perspective on the remote, and I have to say it's brilliant compared to any other set top box remote I tried. I'm still discovering new features regularly, like being able to use the touch pad as a d-pad when you simply tap in one of the four directions instead of swiping. Improvements are always great, but I think the current iteration is already a great remote.

Well, except the Siri part. Seems like you first have to press the Siri button to get to search, and then press it again, keep it pressed and wait for ages before it allows you to speak. That's pretty bad, even compared to Amazons cheap Alexa remote.
Siri Remote is a great looking device. But I think Apple went much closer to "form" than "functions."

My main reservations with the Siri remote are:
  • It's too symmetrical. It's hard to tell which side is what in the dark. I would like the bottom of the remote to be longer.
  • Touch surface is too easy to accidentally trigger.
  • It's unnecessarily small, which makes it easier to lose. Future remote should have a mini speaker that can be triggered by "Find My" app and Siri.
  • I would love dedicated 15 seconds rewind and skip buttons.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015

No need to double press. Just press and hold.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I really hope that Apple releases an updated Apple TV soon. I was using an Apple TV 4k on an old 1080p screen and a few days back I bought a new TV (4k, Dolby Vision). Since the Apple TV 4k is running at that resolution I noticed that the performance is noticeably worse. The performance used to be snappy (it got a bit worse with tvOS 13 but it still felt speedy) but now it feels a bit sluggish.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Ended up buying the 4k model yesterday. I feel kind of ripped off buying such old tech but I needed it so we could watch netflix at my gf's place, and I can mirror my ipad in the classroom. It does these tasks perfectly fine, but still I feel a bit sour. When the march models arrive I will be upgrading and keeping this one in my classroom full time

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Ended up buying the 4k model yesterday. I feel kind of ripped off buying such old tech but I needed it so we could watch netflix at my gf's place, and I can mirror my ipad in the classroom. It does these tasks perfectly fine, but still I feel a bit sour. When the march models arrive I will be upgrading and keeping this one in my classroom full time

yea i was bummed for missing the att deal. Instead went with a chromecast to hold me over until apple updates the 4k

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
yea i was bummed for missing the att deal. Instead went with a chromecast to hold me over until apple updates the 4k
I live in japan so I couldnt take advantage of that sale. I considered a chromecast as well, but I really do not like all the recent google changes they have been doing, especially with youtube. I am trying to keep away from google products as much as possible

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It's hard to tell which side is what in the dark.

If you attach the optional remote loop that problem goes away:

My big problem is that a horizontal slide across is often seen as a downslide and visa versa. Never know which way it is going to go.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
AT&T cancelled my order (as they did for many people), but customer service at Target was amazing and after I showed them my AT&T order confirmation, they matched the price!

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I'm that guy! Apple TV has been my only media box since March 2012 and it's been the most pleasurable and stress free experience ever with 100% reliability and beautiful UI along with beautiful remote & iPhone remote along with incredible Apple I.D. iTunes iPhone & Mac integration.

Since March 2012, it replaced a disc player (remember those?) and a satellite TV box. I'm not a 'conventional' TV broadcast viewer being an internet guy, so Apple TV was the answer to my prayers.

I don't see the need for maps or iMessage on it when EVERYBODY carries their iPhone with them. Humans can over complicate simple things and adding too much to the Apple TV would do that.
[automerge]1573663973[/automerge]

Respect to You kind Sir!

I see your logic here, but I do like alternate options rather than having your phone with you at all times. I do tire of carrying my phone everywhere and all over my house. :)

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
AT&T cancelled my order (as they did for many people), but customer service at Target was amazing and after I showed them my AT&T order confirmation, they matched the price!

for 32gb or 64gb?

im tempted to try again for half off

bobof

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2019
The only feature I'd really like from an updated AppleTV 4K would be to correctly support 24.0p vs 23.976p. It would be even better if it were supported on the units I already have, but I could live with buying new units to fix this.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The only feature I'd really like from an updated AppleTV 4K would be to correctly support 24.0p vs 23.976p. It would be even better if it were supported on the units I already have, but I could live with buying new units to fix this.
Apple TV becoming more audiophile and videophile's choice is a good move. I would go even further:
  • HDMI 2.1 for Quick Media Switching and better gaming
  • HDMI port with eARC support for directly hooking up to audio devices
  • Support for Dolby TrueHD, VP9, HLG, and other formats
And other improvements I would love (beyond obvious spec bump):
  • Ability to use full Apple TV Siri commands using HomePod
  • Direct support for using HomePods as Apple TV speakers, including surround sound
  • Larger, redesigned remote control with asymmetric layout, more buttons, and wireless charging
  • Stick form factor so that it can stay hidden behind the TV

Reactions: bobof

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
The most important feature IMO is bit streaming audio, so apps like Plex can finally do atmos

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
I'm waiting on a new model, can't see paying $200 for old tech at this point.
I have an XBOX ONE X for my 4K streaming needs, but I really want to watch AppleTV+, and they have no app available for non AppleTV folks that I know of. I have a bunch of AppleTV 2s in my house, guess I could airplay, but I've never been a fan of that.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I'm waiting on a new model, can't see paying $200 for old tech at this point.
I have an XBOX ONE X for my 4K streaming needs, but I really want to watch AppleTV+, and they have no app available for non AppleTV folks that I know of. I have a bunch of AppleTV 2s in my house, guess I could airplay, but I've never been a fan of that.
I hope Apple TV will finally get updated this spring. While many folks think current Apple TV 4K is fine, it is a bit long in the tooth -- many Apple Arcade games have laggy graphics in 4K HDR, no HDMI 2.1 for latest TVs, and the remote is due for redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.