Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
peeps here seem to call out on "abusing the system"

we do some ebay selling and find buyers reasonable.

That’s not the point though, is it? There are some honest eBay sellers/buyers, but there are those who are out there to ‘work the system’. When you consider the magnitude/size of eBay, it’s a combination of those who are legitimately trying to make money and selling a good product, and there are those who will take your money/product With ulterior motives to take advantage of an opportunity to fraud you. It’s called abusing the system in multiple ways, especially when someone knows how to work the rules with eBay.

Reactions: max2

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
That’s not the point though, is it? There are some honest eBay sellers/buyers, but there are those who are out there to ‘work the system’. When you consider the magnitude/size of eBay, it’s a combination of those who are legitimately trying to make money and selling a good product, and there are those who will take your money/product With ulterior motives to take advantage of an opportunity to fraud you. It’s called abusing the system in multiple ways, especially when someone knows how to work the rules with eBay.

Indeed it is very true there are many good people there. But you need to be extremely careful of the scamming slimballs that infest the place too. If you go in thinking all will be fine then you have lost before you start. It only cost me around a thousand dollars to learn that lesson about ten years ago, it has not gotten any better in the meantime....

Reactions: satcomer and max2

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I know this is going to be an "old man yells at cloud" moment, but people just don't have as much integrity as they used to. I've done retail and was a cab driver two times. The longer I was in them, the more I saw people not pay fares, give me collateral and never pay me back, and just being generally rude.

Sadly being online does not help in this case. Since they don't really know who it is they are buying from, and they usually don't have to meet face-to-face, they don't feel bad scamming. It's like people cheating Walmart and Target's policies because they think they are screwing over the store, when in fact it's just the guy that accepted to return/give discount that gets thrown out.
I don,t hear much of that happening here in the UK people not paying cab fares that is. Yes, that is true, it is the same when you're on a forum and people disagree with what you say on there I am not talking about this site though and are nasty.it is easy to do that if you do not meet someone face to face.
[automerge]1575814542[/automerge]
I think that generally, speaking most people are honest. There are always people who will work the system.though.I think the best way for me to sell stuff is on Gumtree I have a lot of HIFI stuff for sale, it is better to see someone face to face. :)

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I sent back the Apple Display today i just hope the label does not come off, as the tape I used was from Poundland you get what you pay for in this life.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
I haven't bought/sold anything on eBay in 10 years due to how super sketchy it seems now. I recently stumbled upon a fellow Macrumors member linking to a store front on eBay selling a MBP for $400 off the MSRP at Apple. That seems almost to good to be true. How can I make sure that I'm not about to buy something that's stolen or a knockoff?

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I haven't bought/sold anything on eBay in 10 years due to how super sketchy it seems now. I recently stumbled upon a fellow Macrumors member linking to a store front on eBay selling a MBP for $400 off the MSRP at Apple. That seems almost to good to be true. How can I make sure that I'm not about to buy something that's stolen or a knockoff?

First, (You don’t need to specifically name this member),i.e.- but I would back-end research this members post/thread history, [even though they ‘linked to eBay’,] you could also look into how long have they been an active member on Macrumors? Have they sold items before on Macrumors marketplace? Did that member receive positive feedback from others? Those are all things I would consider moving forward, Especially if they’re linking something that might be their eBay channel.

(And the same info above that I mentioned, applies to researching the eBay member who’s selling the MacBook.)

Additionally, request the serial # from the user if you decide to move forward, and verify with Apple that it’s not a ‘refurbished’ device that they’re selling/repackaging ‘As new’. Some users may be reluctant to provide you the serial number, others will issue it, but I certainly would ask.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Been a member of eBay since 2003 but have retired from selling on there, I only buy due to the lack of protection for sellers. Also the fees charged for listing and selling. Let’s face it, there’s better platforms online for selling now and eBay is really for power sellers these days who factor in the margin for fees. Never, never sell anything worth over £30 as it’s far too risky, that’s my advice.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Been a member of eBay since 2003 but have retired from selling on there, I only buy due to the lack of protection for sellers. Also the fees charged for listing and selling. Let’s face it, there’s better platforms online for selling now and eBay is really for power sellers these days who factor in the margin for fees. Never, never sell anything worth over £30 as it’s far too risky, that’s my advice.
Agreed I stopped selling on eBay 10 years ago because of the shady people.
[automerge]1589232672[/automerge]
First, (You don’t need to specifically name this member),i.e.- but I would back-end research this members post/thread history, [even though they ‘linked to eBay’,] you could also look into how long have they been an active member on Macrumors? Have they sold items before on Macrumors marketplace? Did that member receive positive feedback from others? Those are all things I would consider moving forward, Especially if they’re linking something that might be their eBay channel.

(And the same info above that I mentioned, applies to researching the eBay member who’s selling the MacBook.)

Additionally, request the serial # from the user if you decide to move forward, and verify with Apple that it’s not a ‘refurbished’ device that they’re selling/repackaging ‘As new’. Some users may be reluctant to provide you the serial number, others will issue it, but I certainly would ask.
I wasn't aware there was. Macrumors Marketplace.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk

If it seems to be too good to be true it must be, people on there have a good idea off-price chance of getting a bargain on there is like a needle in a haystack. :oops:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
On man now you really have me worried that I shouldn't go through with the purchase.

Personally, I wouldn't make that kind of purchase on Ebay. I occasionally pick up something like a tube (for an amp), something from a high volume seller for the home, like picture frames, but we're talking $50 or less. Something goes wrong, it's not __that__ big of a deal. Assuming you're talking about a $1000+ purchase, or even more (I mean, an Apple note book can get up into the $2K-3Ks).

If they've sold here, and have some track record, yeah, maybe, and certainly I'd use some payment method with some buyer protection. However, I'd also re-review the product, if it's available as a direct-from-Apple refurb (they're generally around 14-15% discounted and no different than new), some other known source, Micro Center, B&H, etc.

If you don't mind disclosing it, what's the product? Don't need a link, just wondering what % the $400 represents.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Personally, I wouldn't make that kind of purchase on Ebay. I occasionally pick up something like a tube (for an amp), something from a high volume seller for the home, like picture frames, but we're talking $50 or less. Something goes wrong, it's not __that__ big of a deal. Assuming you're talking about a $1000+ purchase, or even more (I mean, an Apple note book can get up into the $2K-3Ks).

If they've sold here, and have some track record, yeah, maybe, and certainly I'd use some payment method with some buyer protection. However, I'd also re-review the product, if it's available as a direct-from-Apple refurb (they're generally around 14-15% discounted and no different than new), some other known source, Micro Center, B&H, etc.

If you don't mind disclosing it, what's the product? Don't need a link, just wondering what % the $400 represents.
It's a 16" MBP 2.3GHz i9 1TB SSD late 2019 going for $2369, Apple directly is selling it for $2799 that's a 15% difference.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's a 16" MBP 2.3GHz i9 1TB SSD late 2019 going for $2369, Apple directly is selling it for $2799 that's a 15% difference.

Yeah that’s about the usual refurb discount, but I realize it takes catching one in stock. I’m a big fan of refurbs as they’re essentially new, full warranty with the normal option for AC+

Anyway, yeah , that’s a decent amount of money to be unsure about the purchase. I always consider the discount vs. risk.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Yeah that’s about the usual refurb discount, but I realize it takes catching one in stock. I’m a big fan of refurbs as they’re essentially new, full warranty with the normal option for AC+

Anyway, yeah , that’s a decent amount of money to be unsure about the purchase. I always consider the discount vs. risk.
I've never had issues with buys on eBay just super sketch people trying to buy from me and not paying for the item.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Agreed I stopped selling on eBay 10 years ago because of the shady people.
[automerge]1589232672[/automerge]

I wasn't aware there was. Macrumors Marketplace.
I have heard of the fees being high on there as I have not sold on there I don,t have the first-hand experience of selling on there yet. Surely the shady buyers are in the minority?

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
On man now you really have me worried that I shouldn't go through with the purchase.
Sorry about that, but if it is not what you thought it was you can send it back and get your money back that is the good thing about it on there for us buyers that is you know the score anyway as you have been a seller on there.But you said it yourself *It seems to good to be true*Check the sellers feed back i allways do.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
I have heard of the fees being high on there as I have not sold on there I don,t have the first-hand experience of selling on there yet. Surely the shady buyers are in the minority?
I once listed an iPad 2 for bidding on there and has a buy it now option. The auction wasn't even live for 5 minutes when someone selected buy it now. eBay auto emailed me a congratulatory email that also included their name and address. I emailed them saying I will ship once payment has been cleared through PayPal. I received zero communication from the "buyer" I also Google mapped the address because it was in rural remote Africa.

No communication from the "buyer" = red flag no.1

Delivery address for an iPad 2 Wi-Fi only model to rural remote Africa = red flag no. 2

Took over a week before eBay allowed me to relist the item again. After that I pretty much just abandoned my eBay account.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
OK, yeah, I see it, ~37K reviews with a 99.5% positive, on Ebay since 2005 (assuming it's the same seller, just about has to be).

Seems legit, curious they're able to sell at a 15% discount, VARs usually don't get those kind of margins, and FWIW, again, assuming that's the seller I found, there's no tax to me in FL (so that would represent another 6.5% in savings).

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
OK, yeah, I see it, ~37K reviews with a 99.5% positive, on Ebay since 2005 (assuming it's the same seller, just about has to be).

Seems legit, curious they're able to sell at a 15% discount, VARs usually don't get those kind of margins, and FWIW, again, assuming that's the seller I found, there's no tax to me in FL (so that would represent another 6.5% in savings).
ELI5 what's VARs and FWIW? yeah I'm curious as to why there able to sell it at a 15% discount as well.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I once listed an iPad 2 for bidding on there and has a buy it now option. The auction wasn't even live for 5 minutes when someone selected buy it now. eBay auto emailed me a congratulatory email that also included their name and address. I emailed them saying I will ship once payment has been cleared through PayPal. I received zero communication from the "buyer" I also Google mapped the address because it was in rural remote Africa.

No communication from the "buyer" = red flag no.1

Delivery address for an iPad 2 Wi-Fi only model to rural remote Africa = red flag no. 2

Took over a week before eBay allowed me to relist the item again. After that, I pretty much just abandoned my eBay account.
Lots of scams from Africa, To true to not send before the payment is cleared.https://youtu.be/9_t2EDDZ5H0?t=405 another case of a scammer.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
ELI5 what's VARs and FWIW? yeah I'm curious as to why there able to sell it at a 15% discount as well.

Oh, hahaha, sorry, FWIW is the ol' school For What It's Worth, I was saying "additionally, this is also a consideration", that in Florida, I had no tax (I stuck one in my cart just to check), so that machine to me, would be a $611 savings vs. buying new through Apple.

A VAR, is a Value Added Reseller, basically a reseller, but generally, the "Value Add", is some kind of additional services, like they service the educational industry and provide setup and whatnot, which is generally, what small, authorized Apple resellers do (as just selling hardware, they'd go broke).

Curiosity got the best of me, I messaged them (via Ebay) and asked if they were new-new or refurb-new (as both of those, sealed ann unopened might qualify as "new" per Ebay rules).

Side note: at the bottom of the CC'ed email it has my Ebay info, member since Jan 1998 o_O

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Oh, hahaha, sorry, FWIW is the ol' school For What It's Worth, I was saying "additionally, this is also a consideration", that in Florida, I had no tax (I stuck one in my cart just to check), so that machine to me, would be a $611 savings vs. buying new through Apple.

A VAR, is a Value Added Reseller, basically a reseller, but generally, the "Value Add", is some kind of additional services, like they service the educational industry and provide setup and whatnot, which is generally, what small, authorized Apple resellers do (as just selling hardware, they'd go broke).

Curiosity got the best of me, I messaged them (via Ebay) and asked if they were new-new or refurb-new (as both of those, sealed ann unopened might qualify as "new" per Ebay rules).

Side note: at the bottom of the CC'ed email it has my Ebay info, member since Jan 1998 o_O
Let me know when the respond to you as to weather it's new new or refurbished new, I would have done the same.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Let me know when the respond to you as to weather it's new new or refurbished new, I would have done the same.

Will do! I didn't mean to get all nosey with your business, hahaha, I was just curious myself (and I'm not in the market).

FWIW :) I did some quick reconnaissance on "Electronics Basket", they're all over the net, reseller on Amazon (some bad reviews), come up in digital camera forums, they're actually listed on Klipsch as a non-authorized reseller - which is a common thing with some of these companies, they get products through gray market channels, and if warranty registration requires a proof-of-purchase, it won't work.

With Apple, I'd assume if the machine is new, you could register it to your Apple account, even add AC+ (if you're inclined) that way.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
Will do! I didn't mean to get all nosey with your business, hahaha, I was just curious myself (and I'm not in the market).

FWIW :) I did some quick reconnaissance on "Electronics Basket", they're all over the net, reseller on Amazon (some bad reviews), come up in digital camera forums, they're actually listed on Klipsch as a non-authorized reseller - which is a common thing with some of these companies, they get products through gray market channels, and if warranty registration requires a proof-of-purchase, it won't work.

With Apple, I'd assume if the machine is new, you could register it to your Apple account, even add AC+ (if you're inclined) that way.
Nah I didnt think you were being to nosey, I'm thankful you looked him up. I will deff add AC+ within 60 days of purchase. Your mention of gray market channels has me thinking maybe they acquired the computer through illicit means.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
People go over the top on prices on eBay the most I would pay for an iMac 27 i7 3.5 2013 would be is 750 I could go for a 3.4 if it had a fusion drive or better still an SSD. I just saw a seller put a 3.4 one on there it says 24gb of ram but he says you will only get 8gb of ram when in the picture of about this Mac it has 24gb why did they just not take the ram out and say it only had 8gb of ram? Underneath he said he upgraded the ram why mention it is when he's only going to do it with 8gb?I have seen similar adverts on there.* One more thing *I sound about like Steve Jobs there
??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.