Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
While using my new Pros, I've today had two people on the other side of the phonecall tell me, my call sound quality was so bad, they simply had to hang up.

In the first case I was just walking next to regular city traffic, no wind. Second time was in a not too crowded café.
The Pros seemed to pick up unbearable amounts of surrounding noises for the caller.

Hm... what are your experiences?

Reactions: Zanton68

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Do the airpod pro's have a directional mic? what made the airpods so effective was that the mic was on a stem so they can isolate your voice more. The other bluetooth earbuds don't do this which causes terrible call quality, if they changed the mic quality - this is a deal breaker.

Reactions: Laton

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Do the airpod pro's have a directional mic? what made the airpods so effective was that the mic was on a stem so they can isolate your voice more. The other bluetooth earbuds don't do this which causes terrible call quality, if they changed the mic quality - this is a deal breaker.
The AirPods Pro has the stem angled towards the mouth, while the normal AirPods go straight down, that’s usually how people wear them too. I would assume they sound just as good regardless though.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
The AirPods Pro has the stem angled towards the mouth, while the normal AirPods go straight down, that’s usually how people wear them too. I would assume they sound just as good regardless though.

I'm looking at the Airpods pro now, is there even a mic on the stem? I don't see one.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I'm looking at the Airpods pro now, is there even a mic on the stem? I don't see one.
It appears that the microphone is on the side of the stem, at the edge of the bottom rim, facing the outside. There is a slit in the rim too. This can be seen through Apple’s X-ray look of the AirPods Pro on their website.

I guess the microphone isn’t at the bottom of the stem like it was on the normal AirPods.

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Did you let them update to the new firmware? The updated firmware should be version 2B584.

While using my new Pros, I've today had two people on the other side of the phonecall tell me, my call sound quality was so bad, they simply had to hang up.

In the first case I was just walking next to regular city traffic, no wind. Second time was in a not too crowded café.
The Pros seemed to pick up unbearable amounts of surrounding noises for the caller.

Hm... what are your experiences?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
No issues here, I tested with my friend and asked him how my voice sounds, and told me that there were no issues.

thedru13

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Call are excellent here.
[automerge]1572479762[/automerge]

How do you do that?

Put the AirPods in the charger. Plug the case in. Flip the top open and check the firmware
Version in the about tab. Should automatically update if it’s an old version.

Reactions: bobsamm

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
It appears that the microphone is on the side of the stem, at the edge of the bottom rim, facing the outside. There is a slit in the rim too. This can be seen through Apple’s X-ray look of the AirPods Pro on their website.

I guess the microphone isn’t at the bottom of the stem like it was on the normal AirPods.

I see it now. Thanks!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Mine has been the opposite. I’ve had nothing but clear conversations on both ends. I’ve asked every caller I’ve spoken with how I sound and they have all said crystal clear.
Same here. I always used my OG AirPods for calls, and everyone has said these new AirPods Pro sound just as good.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Guys who bought Airpod Pro please post about the microphone quality in phone calls. Most of the reviews on Youtube focus on sound quality, fit, NC etc. I can't understand why Apple sends free samples for such poor incomplete reviews. I have held off purchase until I get more feedback from the Macrumor members here.

Reactions: Jutah

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
But did you guys talk outdoors?
LOL. Asking the obvious question which is important to your original problem.

Sorry, can't help out but if the "Pros" are no different than the Generation 1 or 2 for call quality, based upon external sources of sound, then I can tell you it greatly varies to each person. Depending upon the frequency, direction, and distance of the sound source, then I've had good call quality to downright, "They can't stand wherever the noise is coming from because it's too loud". Type of device you're connecting to, distance from it, and type/number of obstructions plays a factor in the call quality, as well. If you can alternate test with previous generations of AirPods with the "Pro", then this would help you to determine if the changes to the "Pro" are substantial that call quality for you has declined in comparison to the previous versions.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I have not heard anyone on the other line telling me I sound any different from the previous airpods. However, I think I sound different. Need more testing the next couple days to find out. I notice with these the fit is so tight, that when you have phone conversations, it seems like your brain thinks your voice is muted our more shallow. Can't explain it, but not the same as original airpods.

They also feel more heavy in my hears to me, so will see how they do today and tomorrow, when I use them for a full day of phone conversations.

Reactions: upnorth85

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
If you can alternate test with previous generations of AirPods with the "Pro", then this would help you to determine if the changes to the "Pro" are substantial that call quality for you has declined in comparison to the previous versions.

I've been using the two previous generations virtually non-stop for phone calls in my daily business and private live - never had a problem.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I've been using the two previous generations virtually non-stop for phone calls in my daily business and private live - never had a problem.
I believe you've answered your inquiry about the "Pro". Obviously, for the environment you're using them in, then the comparison has shown the call quality has declined from either a change in the design/hardware/software/microphone location/device or various other differences. So, you're left with either it's worth the difference from previous generations for your primary use or it isn't and whether to keep them. At some point, I may try them but the Generation 2 suit me for calls, which is my primary use. However, since the "Pro" and Generation 2 have the same H1 chip, then I'm not inclined to believe these are worth over $100 more for "Force Touch", "ANC", design change, etc. If I could pick them up at the Generation 2 price, then I'd splurge.

Reactions: Ifti

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
Guys who bought Airpod Pro please post about the microphone quality in phone calls. Most of the reviews on Youtube focus on sound quality, fit, NC etc. I can't understand why Apple sends free samples for such poor incomplete reviews. I have held off purchase until I get more feedback from the Macrumor members here.
Phone conversations: not good – very distracting with NC and even distracting with transpar. on: own voice like… numb.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I have not heard anyone on the other line telling me I sound any different from the previous airpods. However, I think I sound different. Need more testing the next couple days to find out. I notice with these the fit is so tight, that when you have phone conversations, it seems like your brain thinks your voice is muted our more shallow. Can't explain it, but not the same as original airpods.

They also feel more heavy in my hears to me, so will see how they do today and tomorrow, when I use them for a full day of phone conversations.

If you haven't already, turn on transparency during voice calls. It will get rid of that muted feeling that you are getting due to Noise Cancellation drowning out your voice.

Reactions: c14nhl

oli

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Hamburg
If you haven't already, turn on transparency during voice calls. It will get rid of that muted feeling that you are getting due to Noise Cancellation drowning out your voice.

No way – tried this:

1. stays numb (little less though) and

2. this also means adding distraction cause of enviromental noise.

= not good apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.