Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Great collection! One thing I always hated as the years went by from the original iPod, every newer model came with less extras that made the iPod purchase feel more worthwhile.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I’ve owned approximately 200 iPods in my collecting days, but I’ve sold them all. At some point I had only a first gen iPod, but that one I sold as well. Then regret kicked in, but the prices seem to be ridiculous these days.

Today however I received my eBay order, a relatively reasonably priced first gen iPod (€250, only charger included). It’s in the best shape I’ve seen so far (having owned three) and I’m super happy! ☺️

686543CD-B926-43E6-8AAB-6C01AD29751E.jpeg
4CF95295-BD82-4325-B417-078A02D4C0D1.jpeg

Few years back:
377C6295-946A-47B8-9D33-9117D3508A52.jpeg

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I’ve owned approximately 200 iPods in my collecting days, but I’ve sold them all. At some point I had only a first gen iPod, but that one I sold as well. Then regret kicked in, but the prices seem to be ridiculous these days.

Today however I received my eBay order, a relatively reasonably priced first gen iPod (€250, only charger included). It’s in the best shape I’ve seen so far (having owned three) and I’m super happy! ☺

View attachment 875512
View attachment 875513

Few years back:
View attachment 875515
That's an awesome collection. Did you ever get the gold 2nd gen shuffle? There's been some dispute over it recently

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
That's an awesome collection. Did you ever get the gold 2nd gen shuffle? There's been some dispute over it recently

What dispute? I’ve never heard of a gold 2nd gen Shuffle. Closest I got was orange ?. Never got the stainless 3rd gen though, still regret not getting one when they were released (almost bought it).

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
What dispute? I’ve never heard of a gold 2nd gen Shuffle. Closest I got was orange ?. Never got the stainless 3rd gen though, still regret not getting one when they were released (almost bought it).
In June of 2009 the company Avon ran an offer where if you bought 2 of some product you could get a golden iPod Shuffle for $30. Recently there was a dispute on the iPod Shuffle wikipedia page over whether it was a real thing or not.

IMG_1003.JPG
This is a picture of mine, sorry if it's a bit blurry. It's definitely not an orange one, I know for a fact this is real because the serial matches the one on the box, and it shows up as gold in iTunes. Not sure how rare these are

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
In June of 2009 the company Avon ran an offer where if you bought 2 of some product you could get a golden iPod Shuffle for $30. Recently there was a dispute on the iPod Shuffle wikipedia page over whether it was a real thing or not.

View attachment 875613
This is a picture of mine, sorry if it's a bit blurry. It's definitely not an orange one, I know for a fact this is real because the serial matches the one on the box, and it shows up as gold in iTunes. Not sure how rare these are

Wikipedia now states correctly (I assume) the info about your model. I personally just collected original Apple spec, but some might care about special editions like HP or other brands that did partnerships and promos. If you want to know the value, I have no clue ?

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Wikipedia now states correctly (I assume) the info about your model. I personally just collected original Apple spec, but some might care about special editions like HP or other brands that did partnerships and promos. If you want to know the value, I have no clue ?
I corrected the edit that removed the info, anyone can go on eBay and find some for sale.
Seems to be about the same price as the orange shuffle, which is something I've been thinking about getting. I like to have a few loaded with different things for what genre/mood I'm in.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
@maflynn Would you be able to sticky this thread? I've seen some other iPod collection threads crop up over the years and it would be useful for this one to be easy to find.

It might also be worth noting that the iPod touch vs iTouch stickied thread hasn't gotten a post since December 2008, so you could probably remove it/replace it. Thanks

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK

Today however I received my eBay order, a relatively reasonably priced first gen iPod (€250, only charger included). It’s in the best shape I’ve seen so far (having owned three) and I’m super happy! ☺

View attachment 875512
View attachment 875513

Few years back:
View attachment 875515
Guys like you are the reason why the iPod is still (somewhat) alive. Thank you for keeping it up and blessing us with pictures of your great collection!

Reactions: TokMok3

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
I have a few iPods still though I've owned many since 2001. The only ones I use are the original scroll wheel iPod 5GB model, the 160 iPod Classic and a 5th gen iPod Nano 8GB model. Actually listening today with the original iPod, I love it. First Apple product I owned which started my crazy collection of Mac's.

My wife had the U2 model, iPod Shuffle first gen and the last gen shuffle design when it first came out.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
What's the point in iPod's now? They're obsolete now that everything has turned to Apple Music and streaming. Unless you have an iPod Touch 6th / 7th generation they don't really do anything.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack Neill

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
What's the point in iPod's now? They're obsolete now that everything has turned to Apple Music and streaming. Unless you have an iPod Touch 6th / 7th generation they don't really do anything.
Not everyone wants to pay for data to stream music on the go, not everyone wants to pay a monthly fee for subscription services, not everyone wants a touchscreen device for music, not everyone can deal with a device without headphone jack, not all music is available on streaming services or even iTunes for that matter, most smartphones have an inferior DAC to iPods and cannot be used with an audiphile DAC.

There's more reasons than what I listed, but point is the iPod still has a place for some people. Not to mention this is a collector's thread, so not all of these people are actually using these iPods as their main music device.

Michaelwigginsg

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
Hey folks! I'm new to MacRumors (or, rather, I haven't used it in about a decade and lost track of my login), so excuse me for any lapses in etiquette unique to this forum.

Anywho, I have one of the old and very rare 10gb 2nd gen iPods with the collectible Billie Holiday box. Both the box and the ipod itself are in outstanding condition. I've held onto it for years out of love for the nostalgia it gives, but am ready to part ways with it.

I used to look at completed listings for them on eBay every year or two out of curiosity to see how much they were going for, and I recall the range being pretty wide (anywhere from a couple hundred bucks for one in terrible condition to thousands of dollars for a NIB one). But, I just tried this today and the only result (for as far back into the past as eBay was willing to let me search) was for an empty box, no iPod (went for about 70 bucks!).

So, any thoughts as to what it might be worth nowadays? And would eBay by the right place to sell it, or are forums like this the best way to reach interested collectors?

Many thanks,
Michael

Michaelwigginsg

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
FWIW, I did find one of the Jimi Hendrix ones on eBay that sold for $372 (link), but the box is pretty beat up. Mine is in quite a bit better condition, though I always wondered which of the 4 (Billie Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, or Miles Davis) would fetch the most if all were in identical condition. I kind of guessed that Billie Holiday would be the least popular, but they were all rare enough 10 years ago that I could never find a pair in similar enough condition to see how that weighed in.

On a related note, I have another 2nd gen in pretty much flawless condition. It's 20gb, standard box (also in great condition). Wondering if anyone knows how much that one might be worth? It's obnoxiously hard to search for completed listings of them on eBay since there have been a number of different models of iPods that came in 20gb varieties, and a lot of sellers don't seem to know the difference between generations so they don't list them with helpful keywords...

Thanks again!

Michaelwigginsg

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I know that the market dictates what collectibles are worth. And I already searched completed eBay listings (as mentioned, there were none anywhere that I could find) and tried googling as well. That's how I ended up here, on a 77-page forum thread called "Calling all iPod collectors..." - I thought this seemed like a pretty obvious place to get in touch with the iPod collector market. I'm sure others on this thread have spent time looking for these on eBay over the years.

And I know apple sold millions of 2nd gen iPods and that they were somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 at the time. Maybe I didn't make this clear on my first post, but I'm not trying to strike it rich off of this thing - I'm just seeing whether I can get the $4-500 that these were selling for the last time I checked, or if their value has for some reason inflated.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with these, or knows of another forum or facebook group where people trade in these, that'd be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.