Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
I see that version 2.0 is available. But does the new version 2.0 also use Neural Engine from iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max?

Right off the back, we use the Neural Engine for our Focus Tracking feature. With A11 and A12, this feature is faster and more accurate.

We are testing on few new features that take more advantage of A12 processor, should be rolling out in the future.
[doublepost=1539091480][/doublepost]
camera-m.jpg

Camera-M Version 2.0 Update

• Optimized for iOS 12
  • Optimized for iPhone XS and XS MAX
  • Updated UI
  • Portrait Effects Matte for Depth Mode - This feature is automatically activated in Depth Mode, when your device detects a face, as the subject of interest. Photos taken with PEM contain a much higher resolution depth map, which produces a beautifully detailed segmentation mask. Combined with our custom background blur — up to the simulated f/1.0 — your photos will have a stunning level of detail between the subject and the background bokeh. Portrait Effects Matte map is saved along with the standard image depth map information for editing outside of Camera-M. You can also save the photos without the option to edit, by choosing Processed Depth Photo.

Get Camera-M: http://apple.co/CameraM

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
IMG_0250.jpeg IMG_0263.jpeg

Camera-M Portrait Matte Effect (PEM): Snap beautiful portraits with up to f/1.0 beautiful creamy bokeh! No additional steps necessary.

(Available with iPhone X/XS/XS MAX running iOS 12 or later)

Last edited:

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
Hello any plans for bracketing support for post-procesing Photos on Mac with software like Aurora HDR? Thanks.

Bracketing and HDR would be new modes we will be implementing soon.
[doublepost=1540747524][/doublepost]Camera-M 2.1 - Siri Shortcuts

Hey Siri.png

Hey Siri Shortcuts.png

Siri Shortcuts for iOS 12. We took a carefully weighed approach to implementing this powerful feature. Besides offering practical shortcuts to expedite your workflow, when staging or capturing your photos — we also wanted to make sure that the process of accessing and enabling these shortcuts was as straightforward, as possible. There is no need to leave Camera-M to add or edit a shortcut.

• Shortcuts for most common functions
  • Add/edit/remove shortcuts within app
  • Even suggest new ones

#CameraMiOS

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
Sounds good :)

Manual bracketing (for example 5 photos with different expositions) is very rare and even if camera app supports HDR, it will taken photos merge automatically (like default iOS camera app) and that’s why it is unusable to use with software like Aurora HDR.

Any ETA for manual bracketing? Or betatest?

Thanks

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
Any ETA for manual bracketing? Or betatest?

We are almost done with the next biggest thing missing from Camera-M, will be out with 2.2. After that we have one other feature that was in our waiting list, this is a big one :). After that, we would get in to bracketing. It will be at least 4-6 weeks before we begin on bracketing.

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
Camera-M 2.2

Camera-M.png

Apple Watch Support

We think you will find what we have done here to be quite useful.

Instead of just simply throwing in a shutter button and, maybe, a timer or two — we wanted to create something that takes advantage of the fantastic tactile feel offered by the Digital Crown. You can now make precise control adjustments for focus, exposure and white balance using your Apple Watch. Just tap the icon next to the Digital Crown to enable this.

In situations where your iPhone has to be perfectly still, such as when using a tripod for macro or landscape photography, this feature becomes incredibly helpful in making precise adjustments before capturing the perfect shot.

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
Hello, with new 2018 iPads Pro, a new Apple Pencil arrived - yes, that one with gestures.

So I have an idea:

Would be possible to take photo by double-tapping gesture of paired Apple Pencil 2nd generation?

I don’t know if there are APIs for something like that, but I saw one app where double-tap gesture was used to select text - it was purely text editor.

That would be huge.

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
Hello, with new 2018 iPads Pro, a new Apple Pencil arrived - yes, that one with gestures.

So I have an idea:

Would be possible to take photo by double-tapping gesture of paired Apple Pencil 2nd generation?

I don’t know if there are APIs for something like that, but I saw one app where double-tap gesture was used to select text - it was purely text editor.

That would be huge.

We believe this is a great idea. We will be looking in to this with great interest. We will be in touch with you once we start.

Thank you.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Three Quick questions if I may:-

1. One feature of the stock camera app I like and use often is to take a shot in Live Mode then change the Effect to Long Exposure; great for water effects.
Q. Can Camera-M achieve this as well with it’s Live Mode and if so is there a benefit over the stock camera app?

2. Another built in feature on the stock camera app is Time-Lapse.
Q. Does Camera-M support Time-Lapse?

3. Panoramic Shooting is also available with the stock camera app.
Whilst I do not use it for ultra-wide shooting, I do though sometimes use it to take a shot that requires that ‘extra little bit’ of wider angle from a standard shot.
Q. Does Camera-M support Pano Mode or any tip/trick to get that extra width?

Many thanks in advance.

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
Hello Beards,

1. One feature of the stock camera app I like and use often is to take a shot in Live Mode then change the Effect to Long Exposure; great for water effects.
Q. Can Camera-M achieve this as well with it’s Live Mode and if so is there a benefit over the stock camera app?

Live Photos shot with Camera-M could indeed be used with 'Long Exposure Effect'. You will be able to shoot your Live Photos in full manual controls with manual focus, exposure, white balance, ect and use Telephoto or Wide-Angle cameras exclusively.
You will have to go to native Photos app to choose the image and apply 'Long Exposure Effect'.​

Unfortunately, this is not something we have available at the moment.​

Whilst I do not use it for ultra-wide shooting, I do though sometimes use it to take a shot that requires that ‘extra little bit’ of wider angle from a standard shot.

This is also something we do not support at the moment.​

Reactions: Beards

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Hello Beards,

Live Photos shot with Camera-M could indeed be used with 'Long Exposure Effect'. You will be able to shoot your Live Photos in full manual controls with manual focus, exposure, white balance, ect and use Telephoto or Wide-Angle cameras exclusively.
You will have to go to native Photos app to choose the image and apply 'Long Exposure Effect'.​

Unfortunately, this is not something we have available at the moment.​

This is also something we do not support at the moment.​

My sincere thanks for both your speedy reply and your honesty.
With support such as this I really should look hard at using Camera-M.

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
Camera-M 2.3 - Bracket Mode

• Camera-M now lets you easily capture –2EV, 0EV, +2EV bracket with a single tap of the shutter button.
  • Those of us who love a more granular control over a scene, can optionally customize a bracket capture by defining individual exposure points of interest. Simply drag each point to a different area of the scene.
  • Bracket capture supports HEIF, HEIF High, JPEG, JPEG High, RAW and RAW+JPEG formats.

#CameraMiOS

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Camera-M 2.3 - Bracket Mode

• Camera-M now lets you easily capture –2EV, 0EV, +2EV bracket with a single tap of the shutter button.
  • Those of us who love a more granular control over a scene, can optionally customize a bracket capture by defining individual exposure points of interest. Simply drag each point to a different area of the scene.
  • Bracket capture supports HEIF, HEIF High, JPEG, JPEG High, RAW and RAW+JPEG formats.

#CameraMiOS

Wow! It's about time that you guys added bracketing. Just wondering what's the maximum number of exposures that can be taken with the app? I think when I emailed your company in the past, I said at a minimum, users should be able to take 5 exposures with a difference of 1 EV. For example, I would love it if the app can take -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2. Can Camera-M do that? Can the auto bracketing feature be triggered by a self-timer or from an Apple Watch?

One other thing that you guys should consider is to implement some sort of photo map that can display the geotagged photos with the directional location. Apple's photo map doesn't show the directional information. It would be great to see multiple geotagged photos with the directional information. I really do hope you will implement this feature and it would help make your app standout in the crowded iOS camera apps field.

Camera M

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
USA
Wow! It's about time that you guys added bracketing. Just wondering what's the maximum number of exposures that can be taken with the app? I think when I emailed your company in the past, I said at a minimum, users should be able to take 5 exposures with a difference of 1 EV. For example, I would love it if the app can take -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2. Can Camera-M do that? Can the auto bracketing feature be triggered by a self-timer or from an Apple Watch?

Hello lsquare,

Currently, it's 3 exposures with 2EV steps. Number of possible bracket captures vary depending on resources available on device at a given time. However, we are looking in to this. Triggering it from Apple Watch with a timer is indeed possible.

One other thing that you guys should consider is to implement some sort of photo map that can display the geotagged photos with the directional location. Apple's photo map doesn't show the directional information. It would be great to see multiple geotagged photos with the directional information. I really do hope you will implement this feature and it would help make your app standout in the crowded iOS camera apps field.

This is a very good idea. We will be looking in to this!

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Hello lsquare,

Currently, it's 3 exposures with 2EV steps. Number of possible bracket captures vary depending on resources available on device at a given time. However, we are looking in to this. Triggering it from Apple Watch with a timer is indeed possible.

This is a very good idea. We will be looking in to this!

Not sure what you mean by depending on resources available at a given time. Is there a way to deal with it? Surely this can't be an issue on the latest generation of iPhones such as the XR?

Please implement a photo map that shows the compass bearing. That would really help set your phone app apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.