Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
A client asked me if he could do this - essentially he wants to keep his Windows 10 install exactly as it is, with programs and data etc, but he wants to access it via bootcamp instead of via Parallels. I told him that I would look into it, but that it struck me as unlikely to be possible. I've now looked around the web and have been unable to really find enough people TRYING to do exactly this to be able to get a solid answer on whether it's possible and if so, how it would be done.

My client was told by the geniuses at the Microsoft store that they could do it, so he's basically daring me to say I can't find a way. Does anyone have any info on whether this can be done? Please don't suggest other ways to get a good outcome - he is very specific about what he wants and I've already tried talking him out of it and into other solutions. He wants to no longer use Parallels, to start using Bootcamp, and to keep his Windows install exactly as is, with programs, settings and data.

Thank you for any help!

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
As others have said, no way to go from Parallels to Bootcamp. You would need to setup the bootcamp, and then run a system migration tool between those two systems (could transfer Parallels VM to another machine so both could be on at the same time to complete that transfer)

farinc

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
As others have said, no way to go from Parallels to Bootcamp. You would need to setup the bootcamp, and then run a system migration tool between those two systems (could transfer Parallels VM to another machine so both could be on at the same time to complete that transfer)

You begin by saying that it can’t be done then you begin to explain how to do it. If I understand correctly, can you explain step by step what needs to be done to do this? I was also told at a MS store that it can be fine but that id need to return and speak with a specific genius. I haven’t returned to the store yet so I don’t know what I will be told. You’d think that one could make an iso from the windows that is being used in parallels and put it on an external drive and then install it on your bootcamp?
[automerge]1573655567[/automerge]
A client asked me if he could do this - essentially he wants to keep his Windows 10 install exactly as it is, with programs and data etc, but he wants to access it via bootcamp instead of via Parallels. I told him that I would look into it, but that it struck me as unlikely to be possible. I've now looked around the web and have been unable to really find enough people TRYING to do exactly this to be able to get a solid answer on whether it's possible and if so, how it would be done.

My client was told by the geniuses at the Microsoft store that they could do it, so he's basically daring me to say I can't find a way. Does anyone have any info on whether this can be done? Please don't suggest other ways to get a good outcome - he is very specific about what he wants and I've already tried talking him out of it and into other solutions. He wants to no longer use Parallels, to start using Bootcamp, and to keep his Windows install exactly as is, with programs, settings and data.

Thank you for any help!
Did you find a way to do it?

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
As others have noted, going from a physical machine (like bootcamp) to a virtual machine — P2V — is pretty common and tools are usually integrated right into virtualization software. Its been many years since I've had to look into the reverse. Back then there was an application called PlateSpin that could do the reverse — V2P. No idea if it still exists. V2P is more complex since the destination hardware can vary so much.

farinc

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
This is Microsoft’s Suggestion:

1. Backup Mac mini to time machine
  2. Backup windows (in parallels)to an external drive or to a cloud.
  3. Remove both hard drives from Mac mini.
  4. Insert 2 new SSDs into the Mac mini.
  5. Restore os from time machine to primary SSD in Mac mini.
  6. Create bootcamp in Mac mini to use the 2nd SSD.
  7. Install new Windows on newly created bootcamp SSD.
  8. Log into bootcamp/windows and begin transfer of windows backup data from cloud or external drive that was done in step 6 to new windows.
  9. Reinstall all windows software to the new windows in bootcamp.
  10. Obviously this is not a perfect solution as you’re left installing all of the third party software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.