Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I purchased an app a few weeks ago and on a whim decided to ask Apple for a refund for said app.

Upon further thinking, I decided I really need this app (you don't realized how important it is until it's gone) and am willing to re-purchase it...

However, upon entering the App Store in any device I'm told I can't download said app as pictured.

So my obvious question you all is, how can I get this app back?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 757

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Also be aware that you cost the developer out-of-pocket expenses with your refund, as Apple would not have reimbursed the developer with their 30% cut.

HarryT

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
I purchased an app a few weeks ago and on a whim decided to ask Apple for a refund for said app.

Upon further thinking, I decided I really need this app (you don't realized how important it is until it's gone) and am willing to re-purchase it...

However, upon entering the App Store in any device I'm told I can't download said app as pictured.

So my obvious question you all is, how can I get this app back?

Please think EXTREMELY carefully before getting a refund for an app. Developer's spend an awful long time to get these apps to market and when someone gets refund it does cost them money. It shouldn't be on a whim. If the app has serious flaws or doesn't work as intended then yes get a refund but when its just something you might not use often.. it's not something you should get a refund for.

Interested to know what you said to apple as the reason for requesting a refund?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I honestly wish I could remember what I told apple for the refund. Seriously. I've just been working so many late nights that I asked for the refund on a whim, admittedly.

I do remember something about the thirty percent cut, but my illogical self pictured it that Apple would lose money on the refund and not the developer. Without even asking, the MR community provides the true situation for me and admittedly feel somewhat bad towards the developer.

As I said, I can't remember what I told apple for the refund but I'm sure it was something a long the lines of oh I meant to our chase a different app or something. Again not too sure,, but the refund did go through.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You can re-purchase the app using iTunes on a computer, but not via the App Store on your phone. Log into iTunes, go to the store, select apps, search for the app you want, and then click to purchase it.

Once you have bought it again, go to the app store on your phone, click on the 'purchased' tab and you will see the app with a cloud icon alongside it. Click on this and the app will be downloaded to your phone. Use as normal.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You can re-purchase the app using iTunes on a computer, but not via the App Store on your phone. Log into iTunes, go to the store, select apps, search for the app you want, and then click to purchase it.

Once you have bought it again, go to the app store on your phone, click on the 'purchased' tab and you will see the app with a cloud icon alongside it. Click on this and the app will be downloaded to your phone. Use as normal.

Thank you I'll give it a try now and post the result soon enough!

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA

This need to get pinned, or starred, or just given the biggest high five ever. Thank you, you just saved my bacon, worked like a charm!

I couldn't believe that Apple really didn't want me paying good money for an app again simply because I got a legitimate refund before. A bug afterall... :eek:

TimmerSuds

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Anyone try this lately?

I would like to repurchase an app I had refunded and have not been able to accomplish it.

Thanks

iOSJake

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012

Thank you so much for this information! It worked perfectly for me today :cool:

dylanwho

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
LA/PDX
Please think EXTREMELY carefully before getting a refund for an app. Developer's spend an awful long time to get these apps to market and when someone gets refund it does cost them money. It shouldn't be on a whim. If the app has serious flaws or doesn't work as intended then yes get a refund but when its just something you might not use often.. it's not something you should get a refund for.

Interested to know what you said to apple as the reason for requesting a refund?

Also @Xenc :

Hypothetically speaking: If an app costs $10, dev gets $7 and Apple gets $3, and I ask for my $10 back, the dev refunds only $7 and Apple refunds $3 to restore my $10. How does the dev "lose 30%" here a second time? Are you implying that the dev covers the full $10? If so, is there proof of this?

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
You can always repurchase the app even on the iOS device. That pop up was informing you you can’t update the app because of the refund. It would need to be deleted from the device and repurchased.

dylanwho

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
LA/PDX
RE Mac App Store:

I just got a refund on the MacOS store, but realized my mistake and needed the app. The Apple rep told me to simply uninstall the app, and I should be able to repurchase. So that worked, for MacOS. The app's availability to repurchase was immediately updated in the Mac App Store. So I hope that helps someone in the future.

Reactions: Xenc

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Also @Xenc :

Hypothetically speaking: If an app costs $10, dev gets $7 and Apple gets $3, and I ask for my $10 back, the dev refunds only $7 and Apple refunds $3 to restore my $10. How does the dev "lose 30%" here a second time? Are you implying that the dev covers the full $10? If so, is there proof of this?

Apple does not give up any of their money for third-party app refunds. In your example, the developer pays the entire $10, leaving them $3 short.

The developer’s iTunes Connect account shows each refund processed in that month. When Apple releases accrued funds to the developer, they have already deducted all refunds.

Theoretically a developer could sell a single copy of an app, have it be refunded, and then be in debt to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.