Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
My grandson has been asking for a game system. I have always loved Nintendo for the family-friendly games, and want to get a Switch for him and his sister (they are 8 and 6). I have not purchased a Nintendo since I camped out with my son for a Wii, so I’m a bit out of the loop!

Is buying a refurb through Nintendo a safe bet? I see it comes with a full warranty.

Will I get everything I need for 2 players just buying the Switch as it comes, or is there something else I need to add?

Are there any must-have accessories?

The Minecraft game is a must for my grandson, so I know I’ll be getting that, but what are the best Mario games?

Also I know the new handheld is out, but I really want the bigger console game - they want to be able to play it on the TV (both have iPads).

Thanks for the help!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I would also go for the regular console instead of the purely handheld one.
Not sure with buying used from Nintendo, never did that.
I’d get Mario Kart for sure, that offers plenty fun.
You might as well gift some credit for the Nintendo store too. Cartridges - old fashion.
An sd Card for extra storage is highly recommended.

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I would also go for the regular console instead of the purely handheld one.
Not sure with buying used from Nintendo, never did that.
I’d get Mario Kart for sure, that offers plenty fun.
You might as well gift some credit for the Nintendo store too. Cartridges - old fashion.
An sd Card for extra storage is highly recommended.

Any particular accessories you recommend?

Regular size SD card?
[automerge]1574001918[/automerge]
Also, if I am buying new from eBay (better deal because most are free shipping and no tax), which console am I looking for? Which is the newest? What’s the difference between an HAD and an HAC?

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I have always loved Nintendo for the family-friendly games, and want to get a Switch for him and his sister (they are 8 and 6).

I like the Switch and think it's a good choice, but be aware that the days of Nintendo only having "family friendly" games on their systems is over. There are rated M games available for it.

Which is the newest?

The Switch Lite is the newest. It's cheaper but the tradeoff is that you can't connect it to a television with a docking station like the original Switch.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I like the Switch and think it's a good choice, but be aware that the days of Nintendo only having "family friendly" games on their systems is over. There are rated M games available for it.

The Switch Lite is the newest. It's cheaper but the tradeoff is that you can't connect it to a television with a docking station like the original Switch.

Yeah I know they don’t have only family friendly, but they typically have a lot more family friendly than other platforms.

And yeah I actually just found a brand new one on eBay - 2019 version - $289. I know it’s not much off, but with free shipping and no tax, it saves me quite a bit over buying locally. Our tax here is 10%. I can buy a game with the difference!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Any particular accessories you recommend?

Regular size SD card?
[automerge]1574001918[/automerge]
Also, if I am buying new from eBay (better deal because most are free shipping and no tax), which console am I looking for? Which is the newest? What’s the difference between an HAD and an HAC?

Recommend to take a look at the Pro controller. A very good controller when stationary.

For on the go get a nice case like a hardcover case.

I think it’s a micro SD - don’t get the one from Nintendo that’s just rip-off.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My wife and I just got the Nintendo Switch ($349) from Costco - it included a 128GB memory card (super tiny). We found that this was not the end of our ... expenses. I got a Pro controller from Amazon ($69) and we bought 3 games (around $60 each).

Overall we’re pretty happy with it. We got Mario Kart, Overcooked (Difficult), and Gear.Club Unlimited 2 (love this).

Grandma has joined us on the Mario Kart game - that was fun.

This is our first console. We have been PC gamers up until this point (Warcraft, Starcraft, Age of Empires, etc...).

To answer your question - if they’ve used consoles before - definitely get the Pro controllers on Amazon. Otherwise the hand held remotes that come with the device can be split between two players but I can’t imagine it is comfortable to use for more than a game or two.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Pretty sure I’m not gonna be jumping on the $69 controller bandwagon just yet. ;-p

I’ll definitely be purchasing games. Dgs wants Minecraft, which is actually only about $30 new, and we will definitely get a couple Mario games.
[automerge]1574014723[/automerge]
Recommend to take a look at the Pro controller. A very good controller when stationary.

For on the go get a nice case like a hardcover case.

I think it’s a micro SD - don’t get the one from Nintendo that’s just rip-off.

Oh for sure on the SD card - those get super cheap around the holidays! I’ll look at cases also because I’m sure they’ll be taking it in the car on trips and stuff.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The controller for many is a must buy. I initially got a wired usb controller to have something else than these annoying joy-cons that come with the system- but of course everyone is a bit different with their preference.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
The controller for many is a must buy. I initially got a wired usb controller to have something else than these annoying joy-cons that come with the system- but of course everyone is a bit different with their preference.

Well, if adults were gonna be playing, it would probably be more of a must buy. However, the kids have never had a game system before so they’ll likely get used to whatever. I got on Amazon and picked up some accessories, which included some rubber/plastic controller grips you put the joy-cons in - makes them more like a normal sized controller. I think those will be great for the kids, and they got tons of excellent reviews (cost $12.99 for 2, so not a bad deal if they do the job).

I also picked up a hard case, a couple screen protectors, and a charging stand For charging multiple joy cons at once. I am sure we’ll get a couple more of those down the road, so more people can play.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
Is buying a refurb through Nintendo a safe bet? I see it comes with a full warranty.

Will I get everything I need for 2 players just buying the Switch as it comes, or is there something else I need to add?

Are there any must-have accessories?

The Minecraft game is a must for my grandson, so I know I’ll be getting that, but what are the best Mario games?

Also I know the new handheld is out, but I really want the bigger console game - they want to be able to play it on the TV (both have iPads).

Thanks for the help!
  • If it comes with warranty, buying a refurd Switch from Best Buy or Nintendo should be fine
  • Nothing else to add, 2 players can share the joy-cons already included in the base set
  • A screen protector, definitely. Unless if you plan on leaving the Switch docked on the TV forever.
  • Mario Odyssey would keep him busy for weeks or months. Mario Kart is also very fun in multiplayer.

I love my Switch and I just got the latest Pokemon game this week end.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
  • If it comes with warranty, buying a refurd Switch from Best Buy or Nintendo should be fine
  • Nothing else to add, 2 players can share the joy-cons already included in the base set
  • A screen protector, definitely. Unless if you plan on leaving the Switch docked on the TV forever.
  • Mario Odyssey would keep him busy for weeks or months. Mario Kart is also very fun in multiplayer.

I love my Switch and I just got the latest Pokemon game this week end.

Wound up with a brand new from eBay. Private seller, but it has never been opened, so I’m thinking warranty will be the normal Nintendo warranty. Paid basically new price, but no tax and shipping saved me enough to buy a game, so that was nice.

My niece said the same thing about Mario Odyssey, so I guess that’ll be a must. I got Minecraft (I think I mentioned that above) because my grandson asked for it specifically.

He loves Pokémon as well, so that would be another good option.

I think I’ll hit Game Stop to see what I can maybe find used, or give him a gift card to go pick another game after Christmas.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wound up with a brand new from eBay. Private seller, but it has never been opened, so I’m thinking warranty will be the normal Nintendo warranty. Paid basically new price, but no tax and shipping saved me enough to buy a game, so that was nice.

Not really, according to Nintendo, the original purchaser is the only one entitled to the Waranty. You must show proof of purchase from a retailer...

(You may want them to send you an image of their receipt with the serial number on it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.