Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I don't have Apple TV, nor do I have a TV that has the Apple TV+ app.

My current setup is a 2019 MBP with 2 x USB-C ports (no HDMI out).

I want to watch Apple TV+ on a big screen tv.

Can I connect my MBP to a TV's HDMI port using a USB-C to HDMI adapter - therefore displaying the MBP screen on the TV, and then opening the Apple TV+ app and watching it through there?

If so, will it display picture and output sound too? Not sure whether Apple has configured it so this isn't possible in order to make you buy Apple TV.

Is there a specific USB-C to HDMI adapter that anyone would recommend?

Thanks

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don't have Apple TV, nor do I have a TV that has the Apple TV+ app.

My current setup is a 2019 MBP with 2 x USB-C ports (no HDMI out).

I want to watch Apple TV+ on a big screen tv.

Can I connect my MBP to a TV's HDMI port using a USB-C to HDMI adapter - therefore displaying the MBP screen on the TV, and then opening the Apple TV+ app and watching it through there?

If so, will it display picture and output sound too? Not sure whether Apple has configured it so this isn't possible in order to make you buy Apple TV.

Is there a specific USB-C to HDMI adapter that anyone would recommend?

Thanks

I guess you could do it. I don’t have this exact setup but I have Mac mini connected to my TV and can watch Plex all day long. The color will not be great though because it’s computer color not TV color. Different profile.
Why don’t spend a little bit on Roku, Fire TV or even Apple TV HD (I assume the 2nd hand one will be quite cheap)?

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Why don’t spend a little bit on Roku, Fire TV or even Apple TV HD (I assume the 2nd hand one will be quite cheap)?
I agree. Even a Fire TV stick might be as cheap as a USB-C to HDMI adapter/cable. Plus you can relax and just watch TV at your leisure rather than lug around your MBP. There's also a lot of good streaming apps on a Fire TV stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.