Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mhotep

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
So with the new ipadOS are we at a point for most people that an iPad can replace a MacBook or laptop. Wanted to get some opinions.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So with the new ipadOS are we at a point for most people that an iPad can replace a MacBook or laptop. Wanted to get some opinions.
Not anymore than any previous release of iOS.

This isn't a binary hard line. There is no universally acceptable definition of what requires a laptop and what can be done with a tablet.

They're two different form-factors with different strengths and weaknesses. The priorities of these strengths and weaknesses are very unique and personal to the individual person.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
I see what the OP is asking...

From a “Limitation” point of view, I would say Yes in a sense of we are now ALOT closer. Many of the limitations we once face will now be removed (mouse support, desktop level browsing, file management, external drive support). So from that point of view I would say yes. I also agree with SRACER when he says that there isn’t a binary hard line. We all use our computers in so many different ways. So it will still be a user to user experience of what a laptop replacement can and will be. For me, as a developer, this will definitely help, but until I can run stacks easily then I will still carry a mbp. But as software evolves and now with desktop browsing, I can explore services like Coder.com and CodeAnywhere.com

Either Way... Exciting Times

Reactions: three and akdj

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not at all.
With all upgrades and lifted restrictions, iPad is closer to be a laptop replacement but still far from perfect replacement.
However, if MacOS ends up being a variation of iPadOS in the future, then yes, iPad can replace Mac.

Reactions: canesalato

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Most content consumers don’t need a PC, so in that respect the iPad has already replaced it. However, content developers definitely do still need PCs and it’ll be a few years before iPadOs (or iPadProOS) has become sufficiently macOS like that developers can abandon PCs.

Reactions: StrollerEd

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
I doubt it will change anybody's minds. Sure, the changes are nice and I welcome them but it's still mostly a complementary device to a real computer. I'd still like to see proper external monitor support (i.e. be able to put any app on it as opposed to only being able to mirror the display or only working with apps that support it). I'm also not impressed by the mouse support since it's not really what we were asking for, although better than nothing I guess.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Nowadays everyone's smartphone could be as powerful as a desktop or laptop, but nobody write essays on their phone, because screen size and software support.
iPad has the screen size (except iPad mini), some limited software support. Now with iOS 13 it can interface with external storage now, but what about file system support? NTFS r/w? Still unclear. Can it run industrial software? Probably not or never. On the other hand, handwriting on a laptop? Likely bad experience. Quickly connect to the network and look up something? Navigating? iPad can do it all easily.
As of now, even with iOS 13, iPad in my opinion, still cannot fully replace PC. It now has the potential, but the best thing it can replace is the Mac in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Ghost31

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
Again, no, it can’t replace a computer. Just try this scenario yesterday I was confronted by: I had a a couple mp3’s that have wrong tags, I tried to find a way to retag them using only my ipad...was impossible. This is a really small example of the many things a iPad can’t do. Programing is another one critical for me, so I don’t believe the iPad will substitute a computer for advanced users, ever. But if your digital life was born from the beginning on an iPad and you never used a computer and you don’t need advanced tools, maybe, just maybe...

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
It is a known fact !! The world knows it !! What you mean by do you have any evidence to back up this claim ?? It is like asking do you think the air really exists ?? Who has seen it ? But it is still there right ??
Saying something is true is one thing but using lots of exclamations marks !! and question marks ?? doesn’t make it true. Do you have any real proof?

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Saying something is true is one thing but using lots of exclamations marks !! and question marks ?? doesn’t make it true. Do you have any real proof?

Dude you need to do a reality check !! Are you not reading what everyone above this reply have stated ?? iPad is no ways a replacement to a full fledged Laptop !! If you want examples do a google search !!

Reactions: jbachandouris

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Everyone's workflow is different. I can do about 90% of my core, non-day job stuff on an iPad. Some of that remaining 10% may never happen. I don't expect a full version of AutoCad, Tableau, or Calibre to work on iPad.

The new iPadOS does remove some of the barriers. Being able to connect to servers, USB drives, and being able to just move SD card photos to a specific app, or just offload them to a folder in Files is huge.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Dude you need to do a reality check !! Are you not reading what everyone above this reply have stated ?? iPad is no ways a replacement to a full fledged Laptop !! If you want examples do a google search !!
Conceptually yes !! Practically No ! A laptop is Laptop !!
Why not google search a bit and post your reasons here instead of throwing the ball back to the other side, the asker?

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
Not anymore than any previous release of iOS.

This isn't a binary hard line. There is no universally acceptable definition of what requires a laptop and what can be done with a tablet.

They're two different form-factors with different strengths and weaknesses. The priorities of these strengths and weaknesses are very unique and personal to the individual person.

This. This, all day every day. I'm so over the question...

The answer was and always will be... IT DEPENDS!

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I don't own a laptop, so I guess the ipad has replaced it. It all depends on how you use the device. I have a mac mini to record TV, do some video editing and do some accounting stuff, but 95% of my computing is done with the ipad. Your mileage may differ.

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
Can’t code on it. But yea getting closer.
This is exactly why for me, iPad is not a replacement to laptop (yet). It's still missing built-in terminal, xcode, or heck, even an non/less sandboxed safari so I can actually execute HTML/Javascript files (which I code) from my Files app.

My problem with the current Safari implementation on iPad is that it cannot download any files which have a download redirect i.e. if I want to download files attached to forum posts (such as epubs, pdfs etc), the forum normally creates a redirect script which redirects to the file download. The current Safari iPad will download the redirect script as a text file which contains a URL instead of the actual downloadable file. I don't know whether iOS 13 allows this.

I love my iPad because of its portability, especially if it's possible to use for superbly boring and mundane tasks such as downloading CC0 photos for web site design while waiting for my school lectures to start. I can never do this because of the Safari's limitation of redirect scripts for file download. And of course, I cannot code on it as well. So at this time, I end up lugging my 1.3kg laptop with me just for 15-20 mins usage.

Last edited:

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm. I'm seeing lots of coders replying to this thread. What about non-coders? I'm an academic, and interested like the OP in replacing a laptop. In terms of writing, organizing files, doing archival work (scanning/cataloguing and analyzing), writing articles... I think we are a bit closer. I'd have to try the mouse support in 'accessibility' once the iPadOS public beta hits, but it's looking more promising.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Hmm. I'm seeing lots of coders replying to this thread. What about non-coders? I'm an academic, and interested like the OP in replacing a laptop. In terms of writing, organizing files, doing archival work (scanning/cataloguing and analyzing), writing articles... I think we are a bit closer. I'd have to try the mouse support in 'accessibility' once the iPadOS public beta hits, but it's looking more promising.

True that most of the posters mentioned coding. I am coder myself so obviously the same applies to me. That being I would not answer that question until I have used iOS 13. I am rather new to iOS so I would not play with betas and all that so for me it will be few months until I know if the iPad got close to offering laptop like experience for me or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.