Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
What is a real professional? On this forum, there is a tendency to limit the term “professional” to folks that write code or do specialized graphic arts and production on computers.

I am thinking the new Mac Pro has to be for someone right? I guess those people are the pros. If one can do that work on an iPad one wouldn't buy a Mac Pro for that price. I think graphic artists could maybe use an iPad for most work because the Pencil is just glorious with 9ms latency. Code could probably be done too but not without programs like Xcode etc.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I am thinking the new Mac Pro has to be for someone right? I guess those people are the pros. If one can do that work on an iPad one wouldn't buy a Mac Pro for that price. I think graphic artists could maybe use an iPad for most work because the Pencil is just glorious with 9ms latency. Code could probably be done too but not without programs like Xcode etc.

So basically in the real world a professional is likely someone who does use their tools for their profession. They may do so on any computer platforms that works for them, like iPad, PC or Mac or whatever they prefer.

The Pro in MacBook Pro, iPad Pro etc is nothing but a marketing term to make us feel important and buy as many of these tools for important people :)

Reactions: muzzy996

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

Yes, this makes sense if you are referring to computing professionals with specific coding needs or high-end graphics requirements, rather than the general notion of professionals, such as doctors, lawyers, business analysts, engineers, etc.. I agree the Mac Pro must be for someone, and these are people are pushing their systems for speed and performance. I would add that basic spreadsheet editing and creation is doable with an iPad plus physical keyboard, but things can get a bit cramped and awkward if you are working on more complex spreadsheets with an iPad. I would recommend a laptop for people that regularly do detailed larger scale analysis.

Nevertheless, it is interesting that, with iPadOS, there are a lot more people that may be able to use the iPad for their everyday work activities.
[doublepost=1560792150][/doublepost]
So basically in the real world a professional is likely someone who does use their tools for their profession. They may do so on any computer platforms that works for them, like iPad, PC or Mac or whatever they prefer.

The Pro in MacBook Pro, iPad Pro etc is nothing but a marketing term to make us feel important and buy as many of these tools for important people :)

Yes, "Pro" is nothing more than a marketing term. I don't know about making us feel important. It's hard for me to imagine how a piece of technology would make me feel better about myself......and, yes, it is part of an up-sell strategy. I am not knocking people that buy these machines, since there are definitely folks that need the extra capabilities. I just don't think the "Pro" term means much.

Reactions: ericwn

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Cloud? Really? If I wanted cloud, I would have asked for it.

As someone who has always written code locally, and will continue to do so forever, that doesn't work for me. Nor for majority of devs out there.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

As someone who has always written code locally, and will continue to do so forever, that doesn't work for me. Nor for majority of devs out there.
This attitude isn't going to get you anywhere. While it is true code is most commonly written locally, the idea that devs won't adapt is laughable.

Reactions: geekiemac

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Cloud has been a thing for years now.

I am not going to speak on behalf of everyone. I am speaking on behalf of myself and people like me. If someone thinks cloud is better, fine.

Except, you just said this:

So you're speaking on behalf of most devs

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Cloud has been a thing for years now.

I think that most people out there (not devs) don't realize that "cloud" is just a fancy word for "someone else's computer."

I don't develop on the cloud, either. I use either the local machine I'm using at the time or a NAS that's also local. The NAS supports containers so I can create, delete, etc. environments; it's local so it runs fast.

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!
For those who need more size and power, Macs (desktops or laptops) are of course the only option. Unless/until iPads get bigger.
It looks like iPads are already bigger and brighter than laptops.

iPad Pro 12.9:
  • 2732-by-2048-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch
  • Wide color display (P3)
  • True Tone display
  • 600 nits brightness
MacBook:
  • 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
MacBook Air:
  • 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
MacBook Pro:
  • 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors (13 inch)
  • 2880-by-1800 resolution (15 inch)
  • 500 nits brightness
  • Wide color (P3)
  • True Tone technology

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Why does one have to replace the other?

Because a lot of people don't have the money or want to spend so much for similar devices that have in some ways overlapping functionality.

True but the thing that I find interesting about these kinds of threads is the amount of time and effort people put into having these circular arguments that when it's all said and done isn't going to affect the purchase decisions of the average person walking into an Apple store. I mean I get it, it's human nature for us to find satisfaction in belonging to a group that shares the same views, but when people start to speak in absolutes based upon their own limited perspectives it can get rather ridiculous.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
True but the thing that I find interesting about these kinds of threads is the amount of time and effort people put into having these circular arguments that when it's all said and done isn't going to affect the purchase decisions of the average person walking into an Apple store. I mean I get it, it's human nature for us to find satisfaction in belonging to a group that shares the same views, but when people start to speak in absolutes based upon their own limited perspectives it can get rather ridiculous.
I agree. This is why I always say what is good for me and what not. I cannot judge what is the best for others and I don't really care if someone is using the iPad as his/her only or main computer. This is not my problem. I say that for me the iPad is a nice toy. For me. I love this toy though but I have other priorities than buying an iPad again. Each to their own I guess.

Reactions: muzzy996

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It looks like iPads are already bigger and brighter than laptops.

iPad Pro 12.9:
  • 2732-by-2048-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch
  • Wide color display (P3)
  • True Tone display
  • 600 nits brightness
MacBook:
  • 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
MacBook Air:
  • 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
MacBook Pro:
  • 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors (13 inch)
  • 2880-by-1800 resolution (15 inch)
  • 500 nits brightness
  • Wide color (P3)
  • True Tone technology
Yes, as I said, there is overlap in size. But again, obviously the biggest screens belong to Macs (for now), especially if you include external monitors, of course. I didn’t say anything about brightness and PPI because my list was about the unique advantages of Macs. iPad advantages is a different list. But also, I generally find brightness and PPI to be rather minor advantages, seeing as it is pretty similar in both device categories.

upritbass

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Vegas!
The biggest screens belong to Mac DESKTOPS. As I have shown, the iPad 12.9 is bigger than Mac LAPTOPS. For anyone working with imagery and video, better brightness is hardly “minor.”

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The biggest screens belong to Mac DESKTOPS. As I have shown, the iPad 12.9 is bigger than Mac LAPTOPS. For anyone working with imagery and video, better brightness is hardly “minor.”
The biggest screens belong to mac laptops as well. For two reasons:

1. The 15” macbook pro is bigger than the 12.9” ipad. You’re obviously talking only about resolution, but I’m obviously talking about literal screen size. Because once you get to retina pixel density for both devices, more pixels crammed into the smaller screen doesn’t really offer any advantage when both are used as “laptops” (there are only more pixels in the 12.9 because it is also used as a traditional tablet, closer to the face). Sure, you could theoretically shrink the 15” screen into the 12.9” screen pixel for pixel, and then some, but that doesn’t increase productivity. Being retina resolution, the 15” mbp mouse UI elements should already be as small as possible—while still being practical for the user’s eyes. Shrinking it would just make it harder to see and work with. So for all practical purposes, as well as in the most literal sense, the 15” mbp is bigger than the 12.9” ipad. But really, this is all moot since the iPad is touch UI only, and touch UI elements have to remain big. To fit all the elements of a 15” mouse UI into a touch UI, the screen might have to be 30” or something gigantic.

2. External monitors can be used with macbooks (in extended desktop) as well as with mac desktops. My point here again was that macs—whether desktop or laptop—offer more screen to work with, even if it is just an option.

I said “I” find the difference in screen brightness to be minor. And I do professional work with imagery and video. Other professionals may disagree. That’s fine. But again, I never said macs were better in this regard. Not sure why you brought it up, to be honest.

And don’t get me wrong. As an iPad Pro 12.9 owner, I am a heavy user and big fan. I was merely pointing out, to those who forget, that macs still have some important unique advantages over ipads, despite the soon-to-be-released ipadOS, as great as it is.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Ultimately, it all comes down to an individual's use case/workflow (as well as their own preferences)

For me though? I'd say it has. After picking my old (first gen) Air back up, I've found that doing most of what I'd do on my 11" MBA--web/social media browsing, music, books, email/messaging and even word processing--can be done just as easily on my iPad.

Given that I'm seeking to maintain a minimalist footprint, another iPad (and perhaps a keyboard cover/folio) makes more sense than another laptop and would be cheaper to boot (even for someone like me who has slammed recent MacBooks and has been considering Windows options).

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
When iOS reaches feature parity with macOS, I’ll say it can replace it.
Even then it will just not. The most irritating thing about a tablet is its form. It's also its best thing at the same time. For me both tablets and laptops have a place in our lives. Depending of course on your needs you could live without the tablet or the laptop. For my needs the tablet is the least used device and if I had to give it back, I would. I would never give my laptop back. The main problem with the tablet are the weak apps and the mediocre functionality that you get from it. At least this is how I see it and only judging by my individual needs. I don't do any graphic work, but I use a lot of VMs for my work. This kind of scenario is impossible on an iPad.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Even then it will just not. The most irritating thing about a tablet is its form. It's also its best thing at the same time. For me both tablets and laptops have a place in our lives. Depending of course on your needs you could live without the tablet or the laptop. For my needs the tablet is the least used device and if I had to give it back, I would. I would never give my laptop back. The main problem with the tablet are the weak apps and the mediocre functionality that you get from it. At least this is how I see it and only judging by my individual needs. I don't do any graphic work, but I use a lot of VMs for my work. This kind of scenario is impossible on an iPad.

This is true. The iPad Pro couldn’t be turned into something approaching a workstation (for your use case at least) without a radical redesign IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.