Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Question is in the title. I've googled a couple options and basically I have one specialty program (motor diagnostic software) that requires windows so wondering if I can use bootcamp to install it or if I should just use parallels?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
You can certainly run Bootcamp on a 2017 MacBook. You can also use Parallels, I have done both. For most non-gaming purposes it is perfectly adequate even with 8GB RAM, especially if you don't multi-task Windows and Mac.

Parallels is a lot less trouble and more accessible but going to cost more as you need to buy the Parallels app as well as Windows licence.

I did once come across a situation where Parallels would not update the firmware on a USB connected camera, but Bootcamp would. if your Motor diagnostic app involves connecting a device (like a camera in my case) by USB, there is a chance of a problem.

There are other ways of running a single Windows app on Mac which I don't have experience of.....you will get more info in the Windows on Mac forum than here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.