Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaz_Syd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Hey everyone, Im new on here.. and i need some help... Can your apple watch be hacked? Over the weekend my boyfriends watch sent and received a message from an unknown number. The message wasn't on his phone when he checked it. We are worried that some one is able to sending messages from his Apple watch. he wasn't wearing the watch at the time.. The message was green and not blue.. so not imessage.. Please help??

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
It's a computer with an operating system, so can it be hacked? Yes. Are there any known exploits or hacks? Not at present.

Some things that may be more likely: did your boyfriend buy his Watch used, or new? If it was used, did he completely wipe it and set it up brand new?

If the Watch sent a green message (standard SMS) then it should be going through a phone. The question becomes whether it was his phone or someone else's. If his Watch is fully locked to his phone, then the next question becomes whether someone used his phone and possibly deleted his message from the phone, not realizing that the Watch also keeps track of messages. Is his phone secured with a good passcode?

Chaz_Syd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
It's a computer with an operating system, so can it be hacked? Yes. Are there any known exploits or hacks? Not at present.

Some things that may be more likely: did your boyfriend buy his Watch used, or new? If it was used, did he completely wipe it and set it up brand new?

If the Watch sent a green message (standard SMS) then it should be going through a phone. The question becomes whether it was his phone or someone else's. If his Watch is fully locked to his phone, then the next question becomes whether someone used his phone and possibly deleted his message from the phone, not realizing that the Watch also keeps track of messages. Is his phone secured with a good passcode?

Hey Thanks for replying... no we both bought our watches new. and yes his phone has a password. I was under the impression if you deleted from your phone it updates on your watch....:S....Im really not sure what do to here?? It's a strange issue. But thanks anyways :)

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Hey Thanks for replying... no we both bought our watches new. and yes his phone has a password. I was under the impression if you deleted from your phone it updates on your watch....:S....Im really not sure what do to here?? It's a strange issue. But thanks anyways :)
In theory you're right, if you're using Messages in the Cloud then it's supposed to synchronize across all devices. I can't test to verify whether a device without Messages in the Cloud would synchronize them between the Watch and the phone, since I have that feature enabled.

I suppose you could always reach out to Apple about it using their product feedback page.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I assume the watch in question is a Cellular model.

I don't have one of those, but my understanding is that the watch has its own unique phone number assigned by your cell carrier and linked to your phone's number.

If I'm correct, then anyone can send a message to the watch's phone number.

In any case I don't smell a hack here.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I assume the watch in question is a Cellular model.

I don't have one of those, but my understanding is that the watch has its own unique phone number assigned by your cell carrier and linked to your phone's number.

If I'm correct, then anyone can send a message to the watch's phone number.

In any case I don't smell a hack here.
This. Someone potentially can send a text to a cellular watches unique number — either by mistake or on purpose (though it takes effort to find the watch’s phone number).

Most likely this was just a ”wrong number” situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.