Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbelldina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Trying to change workgroup name in network connection>advanced>wins to HOME

after changing it and pressing OK then Apply, when going back to check it has reverted back to WORKGROUP.
Anyone know how to get it to stick?

Fastyz400

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014

after changing it and pressing OK then Apply, when going back to check it has reverted back to WORKGROUP.

Have the same issue, I purchased a new 2018 Mac mini. Can’t change the workgroup name. Thinking it was isolated, however, I tried it on my 2013 iMac. It’s stuck as well. I use to be able to change workgroup name on my 2013 iMac. Now no.

I have contacted apple to see if there is a fix. They gave me the following ideas. I will update if any of them work.

1. Create a new admin user, then try to change workgroup. (Didn’t work)
2. Need to startup in safe mode and see if it can be changed.. (Didn't work)
3. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac. (Didn't work)
4. After reset run safe mode and try to reset name.. (Didn't work)

Last edited:

Fastyz400

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Update: January 19th, 2019. Just got off the phone with apple senior advisor. Apple engineers are aware of the problem. There is currently no fixes. This problem started back in mac os High Sierra.. They will call me back 3 wks from now to update status.. Keep everyone informed, if there is a fix.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
This is an older thread, but I'm having the same issue on Mojave 10.14.3, where I change the name, but it's not saved.

I've even cloned the automatic location, and named it "Home", then deleted the original entry. I've also tried restarting iMac, and nothing seems to be resolving it. Just wanted to find out if this was still a known issue.

kamel13

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Running Mohave 10.14.6 on MacBook Pro 15" and the same problem as above.
Tried Fastyz400 (Jan 20 2019) suggestions but met with same failure.

It seems like the issue is still unresolved!

enque

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2020

Go to Network preferences, advanced Select DNS and note the IP. Click wins. Click the plus sign and under Wins enter the IP address of your DNS. Change Name of Workgroup and click Ok and then apply.
[automerge]1583031147[/automerge]

enque

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2020

This works.

This works:
Go to Network preferences, advanced Select DNS and note the IP. Click wins. Click the plus sign and under Wins enter the IP address of your DNS. Change Name of Workgroup and click Ok and then apply.
[automerge]1583184108[/automerge]

[automerge]1583184187[/automerge]
Running Mohave 10.14.6 on MacBook Pro 15" and the same problem as above.
Tried Fastyz400 (Jan 20 2019) suggestions but met with same failure.

It seems like the issue is still unresolved!
Try this

Pablo Gaitan

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
i returned here to say this thread saved my life.. thanks so much.

i added the IP of my router as it servers as DNS answers to my Mac..
Example

My network is
192.168.1.1 router
192.168.1.2 PC
192.168.1.3 MAC
192.168.1.4 Lab
192.168.1.5 Room

so i added the wins server as 192.168.1.1 and SOLVED;;

Reactions: Brian33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.