Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

assoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
I'm trying to obtain the installers for older versions of macOS but when I click "download" in the app store page it says that it could not complete my purchase because the version of macOS is too new.

I thought preventing you from downloading older OSes started with Mavericks, but this is still a High Sierra machine.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I'm trying to obtain the installers for older versions of macOS but when I click "download" in the app store page it says that it could not complete my purchase because the version of macOS is too new.

I thought preventing you from downloading older OSes started with Mavericks, but this is still a High Sierra machine.
If your internal drive is a SSD or PCIE Flash then the High Sierra installer converts the drive format to APFS. When installer apps are downloaded they automatically launch. Older installers can not run on the APFS drives.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

What computer? You cannot install a version of Mac OS/Mac OSX/macOS that predates your computer. Is it possible that that is the reason?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.