Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Everytime I use screenshot, the crosshairs comes out and looks and sounds like it takes a pic, but I have no idea where the pictures are going.

I tried a few terminal commands to restore to the original screenshot settings, but still no dice. Any ideas?

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Open a Finder window. Search for files matching the name "Screen Shot" (with the space).

Turn on the Path Bar in the View menu if you want to find out where a file is when you highlight it.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Everytime I use screenshot, the crosshairs comes out and looks and sounds like it takes a pic, but I have no idea where the pictures are going.

I tried a few terminal commands to restore to the original screenshot settings, but still no dice. Any ideas?

Mine default to the Desktop.
Also noticed another bug in PB6, check out the spelling of Screen Shot...

Attachments

• scrennshot 2014-10-15 at 9.11.02 AM.png
    scrennshot 2014-10-15 at 9.11.02 AM.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,688

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Thanks for the help, but I found out what was going on after some tinkering. It turns out the in my Mx Revolution's setting, screenshots were set to save to clipboard instead of folder location.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Scrennshot? Is that screenshot in a different language, or are we seeing Apple's new standard of "quality control" at work?

honeysuckle

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Location of screenshots

If you go to Finder and then look in Desktop that worked for me.

Why Apple doesn't bother to review the posts it gets to the 'Support forum' and then try to provide answers just makes me wonder about the interest they have in users (who've usually paid large sums for their equipment, of course)

HOpefully macrumours will provide the information i need as someone persuaded into the Apple lifestyle

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

DropBox has a way of usurping your screen shots.
Do you have a DropBox folder, if so check in there for a Screen shot folder.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
DropBox has a way of usurping your screen shots.
Do you have a DropBox folder, if so check in there for a Screen shot folder.

I found the culprit. It was my MX revo mouse snatching them up and placing them in clipboard. Thanks for helping though.

taltenberg

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2015
Can't find screenshots

I'm now having the same problem. Used terminal to confirm desktop is location they're supposed to be going, but the latest screenshots there are ones I created last week. Today's are nowhere to be found. A search for all .png does not find them; a search for "Screen Shot" does not find them. It seems as if cmd-chist-4 is doing everything it should except actually saving a file... Any suggestions?

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
This often means the permissions on your desktop folder are incorrect. Do you ever get prompted to enter a password when dragging things there, or other problems when saving things there?

If a Ctrl key is held down then the screenshots will go to your clipboard, not to the desktop. Make sure you don't have a stuck button.

MacShouldBeBetter

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2018

[doublepost=1517097559][/doublepost]You will probably find it if you go to Finder, then Applications, then Preview.
Or
Go to Finder, and then under the iCloud list section, go to desktop. If you have iCloud there are two lists. If you click desktop in one list, you won't see the screenshot. But if you click desktop in the list under iCloud it will probably be there.

xquizitluddite

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Hartsdale, NY
Location of screenshots

If you go to Finder and then look in Desktop that worked for me.

Why Apple doesn't bother to review the posts it gets to the 'Support forum' and then try to provide answers just makes me wonder about the interest they have in users (who've usually paid large sums for their equipment, of course)

HOpefully macrumours will provide the information i need as someone persuaded into the Apple lifestyle

I tried that and still could not find my screenshots or rendered movies after updating Mojave. Something's very wrong with this version.
[doublepost=1558018044][/doublepost]I tried that and still could not find my screenshots or rendered movies after updating Mojave. Something's very wrong with this version.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The tip that I usually share, is to open a Smart Folder (under the File menu in the Finder), then change the search criteria so the folder displays by "Created Date". You can then choose to show just today's created files, or change the days to some other value (if you want to look several days back at newly created files). Just experiment with that smart folder, it's pretty simple to use. Click on any file in that smart folder. You will see the file's location at the bottom of that samrt folder window. Click on a screenshot, and ALL of your screenshots are likely in that same location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.