Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naeltapia

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Hi

I also have the same question, can I run windows 10 on the same pci nvme adapter? in different partitions

Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
MacPro5,1 firmware has native support for NVMe drives since 140.0.0.0.0, BootCamp not supporting NVMe drives has nothing to do with Mac Pro firmware, it's a Windows limitation.

Emperor Epitaph

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
I never heard of that before could you clarify ?
Windows10 is only compatible with NVMe drives if installed via UEFI. BootCamp is CSM/BIOS.
So there we go that should answer OP’s question right ? You simply can’t do it. OP should probably close this thread since the cMP does not have a UEFI BIOS.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I never heard of that before could you clarify ?
Windows 10 can be installed into UEFI or BIOS/CSM computers, when installed to a CSM/BIOS computer, NVMe drives are not supported at boot time.

When you install Windows 10 via DVD, it's CSM/BIOS mode, while when you install via USB it's UEFI.
So there we go that should answer OP’s question right ? You simply can’t do it. OP should probably close this thread since the cMP does not have a UEFI BIOS.
Not so simple, while MacPro5,1 is an EFI Mac and have incompatibilities with some of the Windows 10 UEFI requirements, like not supporting SecureBoot at all, it's compatible enough that a Windows 10 UEFI install "works".

The problem is that you have to protect the Mac Pro BootROM from all the mess SecureBoot can and will make inside the BootROM using OpenCore. That's the only way to have NVMe support and Windows 10 UEFI securely.

Most people just prefer to install Windows 10 to a SATA SSD.

Reactions: superlativo

Emperor Epitaph

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
Not so simple, while MacPro5,1 is an EFI Mac and have incompatibilities with some of the Windows 10 UEFI requirements, like not supporting SecureBoot at all, it's compatible enough that a Windows 10 UEFI install works.

The problem is that you have to protect the Mac Pro BootROM from all the mess SecureBoot can make inside the BootROM using OpenCore. That's the only way to have NVMe support and Windows 10 securely.

Most people just prefer to install Windows 10 to a SATA SSD.
You know I actually wouldn’t mind going through the hassle of doing that. Is there a guide on YouTube for since or already a thread that I could follow ?

yyyccc

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
OpenCore window 10 and macOS on single nvme with adapter

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Reactions: superlativo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.