Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben Homer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
Hey Guys,

First time poster here :) Hoping someone can help.

I have an old iMac - A1312 (2009/10ish) that I'm trying to get working.

If I try to boot from internal HDD, I get the question mark folder so am trying to reinstall OSX (High Sierra). Internet recovery prompts me for WiFi and then sits loading indefinitely (see pics). If I boot from a USB High Sierra installer, I get a loading bar, then just a blank screen. I have left it for hours in both cases and nothing happens. I have reset SMC and NVRAM to no avail. I have a spare HDD but the exact same things happen with that in instead.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA...

Ben

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 128

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
When I encounter issues like this I sometimes make progress using a Linux live CD. Not to install Linux, but check hardware, in particular the memory. Might help. I suggest using Manjaro Linux.

Ben Homer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
Thanks Topcat for your reply. I have tried this option but am met with the same blank screen. I have since ran Apple Hardware Test and found and received error code:
4MOT/4/40000003: HDD- 1296
I think this is something to do with the HDD Fan. I can’t see how this would affect booting externally. Any ideas?

Thanks

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
MOT = fan motor. I'm not sure but a failing hardware code could stop the boot process. You might need to replace the fan.

Ben Homer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
Hi Topcat,

Sorry for the delay in response. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll order one of those and get that fitted.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.