Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
I have tried installing Windows 10 via Boot Camp on my 2013 MBA to no avail.

The installation process goes fine, but after Windows has finished unpacking itself in the installation, and the computer reboots, it shows the Win loading screen, then has a blue screen error "Critical Process Failed" and does a bootloop until I force a restart, hold down option, and choose to boot into macOS.

I tried with Windows 8.1—no success. Windows 7 I have not been able to get to work at all, presumably because of poor EFI support?

My next idea was to try to create a system image file from an existing Windows 10 setup, and then use Disk Utility to "Restore" the system image to a second partition on my MBA. However, when I try that, I get a "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -206.)" Some sites seem to say that it's because the partition is formatted as GUID but should be MBR?

However, you can't format drives as MBR without erasing the entire drive (since High Sierra only supports creating "containers" and you can't format a partitioned container into MBR).

SO…my next idea is to run Boot Camp Assistant to make the hybrid MBR/GPT drive, cancel the installation before it starts, and try restoring the image into the hybrid partition. Still waiting on the computer for that part…but if my luck is the same as before, this will also fail.

Is there any way I can get around this? Presumably SOMEONE has figured out a way to install Windows on a MacBook Air 6,2…

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
ANSWER: Apparently there is a known issue with running Windows on an upgraded SSD in this MacBook Air. My SSD apparently is not compatible with that. So, warning to anyone looking to run Boot Camp on this model of MBA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.