Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

consalam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Hackettstown, NJ
About a week ago, my iPhone will no longer play music through my car's stereo when connected via USB. It has worked flawlessly for over 2 years, then all of a sudden, it stops working. Last night, we used another iPhone (not mine) and it worked perfectly. So, my question is, did the latest update do something to screw up my connection? She didn't perform the 11.3 update yet. I've rebooted, removed and re-inserted the SIM card, reset all settings >>>>nothing works and it's pretty frustrating!

Has anyone else had a similar problem and gotten it to work?

jvmesd760

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2018
About a week ago, my iPhone will no longer play music through my car's stereo when connected via USB. It has worked flawlessly for over 2 years, then all of a sudden, it stops working. Last night, we used another iPhone (not mine) and it worked perfectly. So, my question is, did the latest update do something to screw up my connection? She didn't perform the 11.3 update yet. I've rebooted, removed and re-inserted the SIM card, reset all settings >>>>nothing works and it's pretty frustrating!

It's the iOS. I had every update and it worked in my car perfectly with the USB connection until I updated to iOS 11.3... iOS 11.3.1 does the same exact thing. My stereo in my car is a Pioneer and they emailed me and said it was definitely the Apple update causing the issue.

consalam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Hackettstown, NJ
That definitely explains why the other iPhone worked last night...she hasn't done the update yet. Now the big issue is will Apply fix this in future updates, or will this be a persistent problem?! Is there an easy way to downgrade iOS versions?

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
That definitely explains why the other iPhone worked last night...she hasn't done the update yet. Now the big issue is will Apply fix this in future updates, or will this be a persistent problem?! Is there an easy way to downgrade iOS versions?
Apple isn't currently signing any iOS version below 11.3 so there isn't any way to downgrade. I'd recommend either contacting apple support and attempting to find a fix (or, at the very least, letting them know the problem exists).

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
What kind of car? If it's a relatively modern BMW, you can update the software in the car and see if that helps at all...

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Now the big issue is will Apply fix this in future updates, or will this be a persistent problem?
It’s not certain that your iPhone is the problem. Perhaps the software on the car unit needs to be updated.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It's iOS 11.3 If your car has an update for the radio system it should support iOS 11.3 soon. Until then.. :/

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

You should swap iPhones with your wife for now, if you can.

I have this exact same issue, USB connection will not work at all, (although it will charge the phone), when it worked great for 18 months. I have the Pioneer AVH-280BT. Pioneer has made a statement, if your unit has bluetooth they say to use that, however, the bluetooth connection does not have all the functions/features you get with USB connection, no cover art, I was unable to access my library, and I can't advance within the track forward or backward.

Personally, I think Apple needs to be allowing us to go back to an iOS that works when we have issues, it's whatever Apple has changed with iOS that is causing the problems, even if the problem is that the Pioneer unit does not comply with some USB standard or something, (IDK, just a guess), we should still be able to go back.

I've looked on Pioneer's car audio site and, it would seem most head units have updatable firmware, however, the ones that don't are the ones having this issue, some of which are current models, (which doesn't make sense).

Here's Pioneer's statement:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: INCOMPATIBILITY IN CERTAIN PIONEER MULTIMEDIA RECEIVERS OF “IPOD” SOURCE VIA USB WITH IOS11.3X
April 27, 2018

Dear Valued Pioneer Customer:
Pioneer has become aware of an incompatibility of the “iPod” source function in certain Pioneer multimedia receivers when connected to an iPhone® or iPod touch® device running iOS 11.3x via USB cable. If you connect by USB cable an iPhone or iPod touch device that has been updated to iOS 11.3x, an error message will display on the iPod source screen and you will not be able to play content from the connected device. Connection of an iPhone or iPod touch by Bluetooth or of an Android OS device by Bluetooth or USB is not affected.

If you use an iPhone or iPod touch with an AVH-270BT, AVH-271BT, AVH-280BT, AVH-290BT, AVH-291BT, or MVH-AV290BT receiver, please connect the iPhone or iPod touch device via Bluetooth. For AVH-170DVD, AVH-171DVD, AVH-180DVD, or AVH-190DVD receivers, to maintain compatibility with iPod source, please continue using iOS 11.2x or older with your iPhone or iPod touch.

Pioneer is working to resolve the issue and will update this notice. Please check back here for updates. If you have any questions, please contact Pioneer Customer Service toll free at 1-800-421-1404, Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM and 12:30 PM – 4:00 PM (Pacific Time), excluding holidays, or online through http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/AboutPioneer/Contact Us.

Sincerely,

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc."

source:
iOS_11_3x | Pioneer Electronics USA (I found this on pioneer's site, page for AVH-290BT, on my way to find support.)

Anyone with any of the above car head units, if you have not updated to iOS 11.3.x, WAIT, do not update. Contact Pioneer and Apple Support, (updated or not). If you have a different Pioneer unit, you may need to update the firmware. (As far as I know the units Pioneer mentions here do not have updatable firmware.)

[doublepost=1525234208][/doublepost]

I meant to ask you if this is a Pioneer head unit...it's jvmesd760 that said his was a Pioneer.
[doublepost=1525234450][/doublepost]
It’s not certain that your iPhone is the problem. Perhaps the software on the car unit needs to be updated.
Anyone having issues should check to see if a firmware update is available first, unfortunately not every car head unit is updatable.

It's unclear if this is an iOS bug, or a change that affects USB connections that do not conform to some USB standard or something.

Last edited:

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

try making sure the lightning port is clean. Car USB absolutely works under every single iOS version of the past 7 years, including all developer betas. Personal experience.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
try making sure the lightning port is clean. Car USB absolutely works under every single iOS version of the past 7 years, including all developer betas. Personal experience.
Did you even read this thread before posting, even Pioneer says there is an INCOMPATIBILITY with USB connection via iOS 11.3.x with some of their units, (see comment #8 just above your comment).

Come over to my car and plug into my Pioneer AVH-280BT and see what it does.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Did you even read this thread before posting, even Pioneer says there is an INCOMPATIBILITY with USB connection via iOS 11.3.x with some of their units, (see comment #8 just above your comment).

Come over to my car and plug into my Pioneer AVH-280BT and see what it does.
Hi Benji888,
I’ll try ignore your “tone” and respond respectfully.
As far as I can see OP hasnt mentioned he has a Pioneer car stereo - so your response is limited at best. Secondly even if it was, Pioneer never said every unit is affected.

Thirdly, because your answer was potentially useless, I was talking about ways to try troubleshoot the problem.

Lastly - Take your aggressive attitude elsewhere. Thanks!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

Your personal experience is not the experience of everyone, and, this statement completely ignores the fact that, again, at least Pioneer, (so likely others as well), has acknowledged that some of their units are incompatible with USB using iOS 11.3.x. I felt you were the one being condescending telling him "it absolutely works" and to clean his lightning port when it is possible there is an actual problem.

Just because something has worked for 7 years doesn't mean it will for another 7 years, especially when apple tends to change things, although this could be a bug, but, not likely.

My car USB absolutely worked for 18 months in my particular Pioneer unit until iOS 11.3.x. This is very frustrating, so, sorry if my tone seemed off, but, I felt like you weren't acknowledging the OP has an actual issue, whereas I was trying to show the OP that there is an actual issue, he's not the only one.

Last edited:

CLord

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Detroit
I have a similar problem with a Kenwood car stereo.
I state similar because when I leave home in the morning, the USB will connect and works fine. Eight hours later, when I leave work to return home, it won't work....every time. Tried resetting the phone, disabling the Bluetooth. This problem started only a few weeks ago and I can't seem to figure out why.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I have a similar problem with a Kenwood car stereo.
I state similar because when I leave home in the morning, the USB will connect and works fine. Eight hours later, when I leave work to return home, it won't work....every time. Tried resetting the phone, disabling the Bluetooth. This problem started only a few weeks ago and I can't seem to figure out why.

That's really odd. Do you plug your phone in to any USB connections while at work?

CLord

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Detroit
That's really odd. Do you plug your phone in to any USB connections while at work?
[doublepost=1526581754][/doublepost]Yes, I was plugging in the lightning cable to the USB port of my work PC computer to charge the phone. Have been for years.
I suspected that perhaps there was something the computer might be automatically changing so I switched to the standard iPhone charger. The problem still happens.
I’ve also tried not plugging in anything at work, still doesn’t work.
So at work, the only thing my iPhone is connected to is my works’ WiFi, but I really don’t see how that could be an issue with the USB/lightning connection.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
iOS 11.4 — FIXED! For me at least w/Pioneer AVH-280BT

The release notes show 11.4 update may fix various connectivity issues:

"• Fixes an issue where CarPlay audio could become distorted
• Fixes an issue where selecting music from your iPhone could fail when playing music over Bluetooth or when connected to USB on some vehicles"

Grix517

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2019

[doublepost=1563227378][/doublepost]

If your iphone when plugged through usb to your car only charges but fails to play music you should go to settings > Face ID and passcode > scroll down and turn on USB accessories

it should work just fine after.

rhipps

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Cupertino, CA
[doublepost=1563227378][/doublepost]

If your iphone when plugged through usb to your car only charges but fails to play music you should go to settings > Face ID and passcode > scroll down and turn on USB accessories

it should work just fine after.

Wow, that fixed it! Thanks!!

so my new Q is, how the heck did that get turned off? what genius at Apple thot that would be a good idea to turn that off as part of an iOS update? I assume that's what happened....

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
With the switch in the default off position...If you haven’t opened your iPhone for over an hour, it won’t connect to accessories as a safety against someone trying to get into your phone with a hardware device, (if you don’t know what this is about, where have you been? Anyway, you can easily find that answer here within these forums, or about anywhere online for that matter, search for GreyKey.)

So you just need to unlock your iPhone to connect. The other iPhone was likely opened within the last hour, so it connects fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.