Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sterlingholobyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2013
I am on an older iMac running El Capitan 10.11.6.

My son has an online history class and I have been taking pictures of his schoolwork on my phone and uploading them to Google Photos, then downloading the pics to the desktop to then send to the online school.
I have been doing this since the beginning of the school year. But for some reason, today when I went to save the pictures to the desktop, it wasn't giving me the option to do that. My only option was to send them to downloads and there wasn't the usual "Desktop" option. Where did it go? I like to save to the desktop because it is easier for me to work with the pics and I can just drag them to his school folder after I am done with them.

Additionally, when I went into the Downloads folder, it didn't show me the recent downloads like it usually does, so I had to type in the names for the pics I wanted to find. I wasn't about to go scrolling through the tons of downloads already there. Admittedly, this could just be an issue of having the wrong preference to how to view the downloads, but I didn't see the usual boxes up on top of the downloads folder to change those preferences.
But, as I've stated, that is a different issue.

My main problem is not seeing the option to save his pics directly to the desktop. The only thing I have changed recently is that I cleaned up the desktop by getting rid of/condensing a lot of the junk that was on there. But that's it, so I don't know why I don't have the save to desktop option anymore. Anyone have any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.