Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britrocker42

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
What IS This Spinning Circle?

Hi,

I installed the new Garageband 10 and so far quite like it,but every now and then on some song projects I get a coloured spinning circle type ico,after I try to edit or move a section.

Is this somehow related to lack of memory?

My Imac says I have 4GB but two memory slot banks are empty,so is this enough room or is this spinning thing something else?

Forgive me if it is a stupid question I'm still getting used to Imacs....
thanks to anyone who can help

Cheers

BR

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi,

I installed the new Garageband 10 and so far quite like it,but every now and then on some song projects I get a coloured spinning circle type ico,after I try to edit or move a section.

Is this somehow related to lack of memory?....

You Mac has a utility from Apple called "Activity Monitor". It's purpose is to help diagnose things like this. It will show you how much of various resources (like memory, CPU and disk) as being used. The pinwheel might be lack of RAM or a slow disk or the CPU is busy with processing. Leave activity monitor running while you are working and watch it.

blakedriver

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
I struggled with this for a while. Solution: Plug the midi cable that is labeled 'in' into the port on the keyboard that says 'out' and vice versa. Doesn't make sense, I know.
OMG it worked! Thank you so much! Such a simple solution I never even thought of, and I tried everything, like everyone else on here, and am so happy I found your suggestion because you helped me figure out a a fix that no tech support people, or tech blogs, or tech support webpages, were able to. I signed up on the site just to say thanks. My midi DOES work with my Yamaha! There's no reason our technology shouldn't work for us.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
[doublepost=1498787467][/doublepost]Just switching the Midi out to midi in did infact work
Thanks for the laugh, since you're new here. Don't take it the wrong way, responding to a 7-year-old post that it tied to a different product (GB 5 then, GB 10 now) can get you skewered pretty much anywhere. Longtime GB and Yamaha peripheral user here. If it wasn't me posting this, well, you should know it would be a matter of time…

Welcome to MR Forums, consider yourself skewered… :D

oldskoolsoldier77

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
I struggled with this for a while. Solution: Plug the midi cable that is labeled 'in' into the port on the keyboard that says 'out' and vice versa. Doesn't make sense, I know.
Holy $#%@@$% I can't believe this actually worked! I've had this keyboard for years and was about to scrap it because it thought it didn't work. How would anyone think to switch the cables in/out??? So simple, yet so amazing! Thank you thank you thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.