Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claricesarmento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2020
Hello!

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 OS X 10.6.8 and I'm trying to update it to El Capitan so I can get some programmes that I need but literally nothing seems to work.

When I try to write the command that I found on Apple's website, the terminal says that the command was not found. I have already changed the dates in my computer and I'm running out of links available on the internet to get help. Have watched many videos, have read many things and I'm getting kinda desperate. I would really appreciate if some of you could help me. Thank you so much xx

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't believe you can update from Snow Leopard directly to El Capitan. Both Lion and Mountain Lion were paid upgrades. You will need to call Apple and have them send you a copy of Lion which you will have to pay for. From Lion you should then be able to upgrade to El Capitan. After Mountain Lion, all versions of macOS are free.

Reactions: russell_314

claricesarmento

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2020
I don't believe you can update from Snow Leopard directly to El Capitan. Both Lion and Mountain Lion were paid upgrades. You will need to call Apple and have them send you a copy of Lion which you will have to pay for. From Lion you should then be able to upgrade to El Capitan. After Mountain Lion, all versions of macOS are free.

Really? I was told I could, that's why I tried. I'm really insecure about buying it because it's expensive and at this point I don't know if anything will work..

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Expensive? Have you called Apple and asked? Not sure of the price which is why you should call Apple customer service: 1-800-275-2273

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Really? I was told I could, that's why I tried. I'm really insecure about buying it because it's expensive and at this point I don't know if anything will work..
These instructions from Apple clearly state that you can directly upgrade from 10.6.8 to El Capitan:

Follow Steps 4-7 carefully and exactly.

andleip

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2020
same problem here..the thing is that i have a Macbookpro 2006 and when I try to install it seems that my old mac is not compatible with that version

andleip

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2020
I found my model(A1211) on the internet with 10.7.5 version..but to update I think the only way is to pay for it..19.99..but for a 14year old pc asking to pay for update..not very excited

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I found my model(A1211) on the internet with 10.7.5 version..but to update I think the only way is to pay for it..19.99..but for a 14year old pc asking to pay for update..not very excited
A A1211 is a Oct 2006 to Jun 2007 15" Core 2 Duo MBP and the max OS is 10.7.5. I agree paying $19.99 does seem bad.

Last edited:

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Hello!

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 OS X 10.6.8 and I'm trying to update it to El Capitan so I can get some programmes that I need but literally nothing seems to work.

When I try to write the command that I found on Apple's website, the terminal says that the command was not found. I have already changed the dates in my computer and I'm running out of links available on the internet to get help. Have watched many videos, have read many things and I'm getting kinda desperate. I would really appreciate if some of you could help me. Thank you so much xx
Go to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 download the El Capitan file, execute it, and you'll have the installer in your Applications folder. Use the createinstallmedia command to create a bootable usb installer and you'll be good to go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.