Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I have a wireless adapter that sticks out of my cigarette power port in my car, which houses my iPod, as well as transmits to the radio wireless-ly to play music.

The problem is that it doesn't always work right (interference where the actual radio station will play rather than my iPod / static, etc)

It's no an issue with picking a station that has nothing going on, though, since it will happen on those as well.

Thing is that when I hold my hand over the base of the adapter, it works completely fine and clear, but then remove my hand away and it goes back to not working.

I have theories on why this is, but looking for some input here? Is there any way to fix this? Without any smart comments about getting a direct plug in la la la? (my car does not have auxiliary, nor USB </3)

Thank you!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I have a wireless adapter that sticks out of my cigarette power port in my car, which houses my iPod, as well as transmits to the radio wireless-ly to play music.

The problem is that it doesn't always work right (interference where the actual radio station will play rather than my iPod / static, etc)

It's no an issue with picking a station that has nothing going on, though, since it will happen on those as well.

Thing is that when I hold my hand over the base of the adapter, it works completely fine and clear, but then remove my hand away and it goes back to not working.

I have theories on why this is, but looking for some input here? Is there any way to fix this? Without any smart comments about getting a direct plug in la la la? (my car does not have auxiliary, nor USB </3)

Thank you!

If you have a tape deck, those tape adapters work great and sound a million times better than FM transmitters.

I gave up on FM transmitters. I could never get them to work reliably.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
If you have a tape deck, those tape adapters work great and sound a million times better than FM transmitters.

I gave up on FM transmitters. I could never get them to work reliably.

My tape deck is broken :,(
I plan on getting a new radio with a USB plug in, but this whole little situation makes me curious, if nothing else.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My tape deck is broken :,(
I plan on getting a new radio with a USB plug in, but this whole little situation makes me curious, if nothing else.

Depending on how it's broken, the adapter might work.

The motor doesn't have to work, just the head and amplifier part, and the loading mechanism to actually get the tape in there. :)

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I went and bought a $100 car radio with bluetooth just for my iPhone. Those wirless adaptors going though the radio station are just junk. You can probably find one cheaper too just to have bluetooth also, I think it's worth it!

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Just out of curiosity, try putting a bowl under it like your hand would be and see if that replicates the experience. I suspect your hand is just focusing the signal. Perhaps the transmitter is to blame.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Just out of curiosity, try putting a bowl under it like your hand would be and see if that replicates the experience. I suspect your hand is just focusing the signal. Perhaps the transmitter is to blame.

I've tried so many FM transmitters over the years, most with 5 star ratings on Amazon. They all, to a T, sucked.

You have to find a way to hard wire it in, or it's going to suck no matter what. If you have to buy a new stereo to have a way to hard wire, well then you have to buy a new stereo.

Depending on what came from the factory, sometimes you can get a hardwire adapter from Amazon that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the factory radio. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.