Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Ha, does the “new system” work any better despite the activation glitch?
It worked exactly the same in my Volvo XC40 as it did previous with the exception that the “phone call delay” was less than it was before. In the wife’s Ibiza, exactly the same. (Doesn’t work properly)

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
So I attempted a roll back to an earlier version but no luck. It doesn’t automatically roll back so still stuck on the latest version. DAMMIT!!

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
I got this today......

Hi again,
Thank you for your valuable feedback, at the time of writing there are few issues with some car brands and it's models, we can divide them into 4 groups:
  • Can't activate the new firmware
  • Demo software with the connection limit
  • Stuck on connecting screen
  • Old software worked, while the new one does not (Jeep brand)
We are working on the fix as we speak, we will send you the update again tomorrow, I know you that some of you have been patient for a while now, please hold on, it's not a long way to go.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I got this today......

Hi again,
Thank you for your valuable feedback, at the time of writing there are few issues with some car brands and it's models, we can divide them into 4 groups:
We are working on the fix as we speak, we will send you the update again tomorrow, I know you that some of you have been patient for a while now, please hold on, it's not a long way to go.

Thanks for the update, you get more from him than I do.

AntonieB

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
He is not talking about the Seat Ibiza / Arona 2019 issue.. where you can hear sound and click on an black screen but the video is not working. Damn... probably not fixable.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Yup. Got this.

Hi again,

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL, UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME VALUABLE INFORMATION TO SHARE.

Thank you very much,
Michael

jerryjal

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
Keeping in mind that mine did not work on the previous version I went ahead and installed the update and......... nothing, nothing has changed and the dongle does not do anything when plugged in to the usb socket.
Time to email Michael and inform him that I would like to return it.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
I also got the new email too. At least they acknowledge that there is an issue. And I'm glad that they mentioned "Jeep".

Again, back to wait mode. Gime that cable!

mpf541-

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
I am so happy after reading all this that I disputed the charge. They have not sent me a update file so I have not tried it. But I have been credited back the disputed charge. Perhaps Michael is not sending me it as I told him that I did dispute the charge.

jerryjal

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
I am so happy after reading all this that I disputed the charge. They have not sent me a update file so I have not tried it. But I have been credited back the disputed charge. Perhaps Michael is not sending me it as I told him that I did dispute the charge.
Do you mind me asking how you went about disputing the charge? What did you tell them, not fit for purpose?

mpf541-

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
I told them that it did not work. That I contacted the vendor multiple times about this. And the lack of responses that I was getting from the vendor. I supplied them with the dates of all emails. While this charge is still being disputed I have been credited back the charge. I also told them that I requested a return and they said wait for the upgrade. I am not one that thinks I should wait. This should have worked right to start with as they did tell me it was compatible.

Reactions: jerryjal

jerryjal

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
I told them that it did not work. That I contacted the vendor multiple times about this. And the lack of responses that I was getting from the vendor. I supplied them with the dates of all emails. While this charge is still being disputed I have been credited back the charge. I also told them that I requested a return and they said wait for the upgrade. I am not one that thinks I should wait. This should have worked right to start with as they did tell me it was compatible.

Has Michael (or anyone else) supplied a return address at all? I am not sure whether to wait to hear from Michael or dispute the charge now.

Just out of curiosity, did you go down the chargeback route or section 75?

mpf541-

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
All I got from Michael is please wait for the update and he will extend my return timeframe. After that time frame passed that the firmware was to be relived and no replay from him asking about it I then contacted Apple Card.

Reactions: jerryjal

jerryjal

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
All I got from Michael is please wait for the update and he will extend my return timeframe. After that time frame passed that the firmware was to be relived and no replay from him asking about it I then contacted Apple Card.
Ok, thank you for the info.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think the issue lies with the car no being able to provide enough power. Adding a "power cable" keeps the USB interface up, but since the signaling does not receive a "go ahead, you got your requested power", the initialization halts. The way the power cable is build, data goes to the head unit and power to the auxiliar adapter. If the dongle is indeed requesting the extra juice (if I'm not wrong BC will give up to 10W = 5V@2A), it may indeed wait for the confirmation from the head unit.

I've not given up on the power idea. I will try something different today.

And there comes the end of the week.... no firmware

Took me longer than expected but this information might still be useful for future reference.

This is a screen shots from a USB tester stats plugged inline with my iPhone 6S and a Chevrolets CarPlay USB port.

IMG_6987.png
(click)

CarPlay (at least in this instance) is using BC 1.2 standards for 1.5amp charging and since the iPhone hardware had a load outside the battery charging and the charger had power to spare (still below AICR limit) it was delivering near 10w (5v x 2amp).

Looking at how the voltage is still above 5 volts even with 2amps of current tells me there is plenty of power there for any 5volt USB device.

sb2002

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
I’ve asked for a refund. Despite trying 10 different usb drives, I never see a blue light. We’ll see how this goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.