Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkkknighttt930

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
Thats same error as before / sure you got a new link? or just a late update mail from first batch of mails?
I received a new link The downloaded files. Have two different names.
image.jpg

ltiozzo

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
I received two mail yesterday.
The subject of the second mail is: "NEW LINK: CPLAY2air adapter firmware release and update instructions" and it contains the file Auto_Box_Update.img

I installed directly Auto_Box_Update.img file. but I can't complete the activation on my car.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Well that pretty much confirms that the carlinkit and Carplay2air are the exact same thing. The firmware is the same

There are two versions or Carlinkit: one for adding Carplay to head units with Android auto (for adding wired and wireless Carplay) and another called Carlinkit Unlocker, that is the same as CarPlay2Air.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I tried but it won’t fall back, the screen shot is from the upgrade
[automerge]1575828623[/automerge]
Yea he hasn’t sent a new link yet to anyone. That link above is the old one.
[automerge]1575828813[/automerge]
And everyone should STOP updating until we hear back from these idiots. I’m sure most of not all of us have already requested charge backs on our Credit cards so essentially these things are free as I’m sure the sellers won’t get away with this.

Master of Tragedy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2018
Why did some received the update mail (even multiple times) and I haven't received anything?
I've mailed them already but did not receive an answer. Is this some kind of limited beta test which is first send out only to selected users?
Can perhaps someone post the email with all instructions and link to the download?

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Why did some received the update mail (even multiple times) and I haven't received anything?
I've mailed them already but did not receive an answer. Is this some kind of limited beta test which is first send out only to selected users?
Can perhaps someone post the email with all instructions and link to the download?

I’d wait a bit if I were you the latest release is likely to make your unit into a paperweight.

Something is “promised” for today but don’t hold your breath.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Had a WhatsApp from CarLinkIt. He says “perfecting” the firmware and server., wait a few days....

Why is there now a server required when before wasn’t? Does this mean we are sending stuff to their server now?

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Seller gone dark again. It’s Monday and almost Tuesday where they are from. Hope everyone is enjoying their paperweights.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Seller gone dark again. It’s Monday and almost Tuesday where they are from. Hope everyone is enjoying their paperweights.

Mine is back into the box... long live the lightning cable!

But I would give them a few days to sort this out. They have a business with great potential and they will not leave this as it is. It will be fixed, but my guess it will be sometime. The Carlinkit for Android head units has been around for quite some time and seems stable, if that counts.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Ive put my cradle and wire back in for the moment. I am sticking with the module it as I am sure they will fix it as its too good a product to let fail.

When it was working I was delighted, just expected some extra functionality and connection speed from the update.

Don’t forget even Apple and Microsoft have got updates wrong in the past.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Ive put my cradle and wire back in for the moment. I am sticking with it as I am sure they will fix it as its too good a product to let fail.

When it was working I was delighted, just expected some extra functionality and connection speed from the update.

Don’t forget even Apple and Microsoft have got updates wrong in the past.
So I’m pretty much tired of this and my work around now is to always keep my work iPhone connected to my car in my armrest connected to the wire. All I do now is take my iMessages and have that as my work number and all my contacts synced to my work phone. I just simply use Waze and any other applications using my work phone.

I know not everybody has two phones but this is almost just as good I hardly use my work phone anyways. So it just stays in the car

darkkknighttt930

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
Guys! I was stuck on the activate product message yesterday, today I connected to the car, went to the url and it activated. There was also another update on that url which removed the demo version at the top of the screen.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Guys! I was stuck on the activate product message yesterday, today I connected to the car, went to the url and it activated. There was also another update on that url which removed the demo version at the top of the screen.

Oh

I will try when i het home, thanks for the update. Wish I hadn’t left it at home now, could have tried before I travelled home if I hadn’t.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
so what version is it now? it was 2019.12.07 from Saturday

darkkknighttt930

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
Oh

I will try when i het home, thanks for the update. Wish I hadn’t left it at home now, could have tried before I travelled home if I hadn’t.
I tried it one more time because I had a feeling it was a server issue.

First, I’m happy to report that Siri works by holding the voice button on my steering wheel, before it only worked if I made a call first. Second the song information now displays on my gauge cluster screen, navigation screen and HUD (preciously they showed null). Lastly, the music sounds a lot clearer. The interface for the carplay2air before connecting to CarPlay looks better and takes less time to connect.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I tried it one more time because I had a feeling it was a server issue.

First, I’m happy to report that Siri works by holding the voice button on my steering wheel, before it only worked if I made a call first. Second the song information now displays on my gauge cluster screen, navigation screen and HUD (preciously they showed null). Lastly, the music sounds a lot clearer. The interface for the carplay2air before connecting to CarPlay looks better and takes less time to connect.
What version is it now?

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
I've downloaded the file one again and it's still the same (binary compared files). Nothing changed. My guess is that they just fixed the "activation".

What I need is the "Jeep fix"!
[automerge]1575897604[/automerge]
New version is today’s date. I was able to apply today’s update after activating the device through my phones browser. It took less than 1 minute

Interesting... There is now an option for updating directly. But if you cannot connect (like me with a Jeep) there is no way to apply it. Will have to wait for a downloadable update file.... or take the dongle to a friend's car with a working setup.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I've downloaded the file one again and it's still the same (binary compared files). Nothing changed. My guess is that they just fixed the "activation".

What I need is the "Jeep fix"!
[automerge]1575897604[/automerge]

Interesting... There is now an option for updating directly. But if you cannot connect (like me with a Jeep) there is no way to apply it. Will have to wait for a downloadable update file.... or take the dongle to a friend's car with a working setup.
I have the Jeep too. You can’t even connect? At least with mine I could activate and check for latest version update. I don’t have the unit with me right now so I can’t test this out. I’ll try when I get home. Does seem like it only fixes the activation issue. Highly doubt the “connecting...” screen that should display the CarPlay interface works with this update. I told these guys to send me 2019.11.11 and they said they would but haven’t !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.