Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barneyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
??
Anyone else having issues with safari post update. Really slow going to sites, functionality of sites missing, some sites I can’t get to at all...doing this post on my phone as my Mac is so bad at the moment. Tempted to go back to previous version if this isn’t fixed very soon! Thanks for any pointers!

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone else having issues with safari post update. Really slow going to sites, functionality of sites missing, some sites I can’t get to at all...doing this post on my phone as my Mac is so bad at the moment. Tempted to go back to previous version if this isn’t fixed very soon! Thanks for any pointers!

Same here on my iMac 2014... it seems to be WiFi related because chrome browser is really slow too...

I’m actually restoring Catalina to see if it solve the problem.

Franck

barneyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
??
I am working using Microsoft Remote Desktop but safari, Firefox and even the odd mail item is a problem. Can’t connect to the App Store either! My anti virus is all up to date....how is it going Franck?

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I am working using Microsoft Remote Desktop but safari, Firefox and even the odd mail item is a problem. Can’t connect to the App Store either! My anti virus is all up to date....how is it going Franck?

Same for me concerning App Store...
I tried to disable antivirus, AdGuard, etc... no effect at all...

still restoring...

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Ok... restoration to 10.15.1 (19B88) didn’t solved the problems...

iMac_User

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Same issue here, iMac Late 2014, both over WiFi and wired Ethernet, both Safari and Chrome. Looks like the start of a download of any file takes time (HTML, image, video, setup file). Once the download of each file (small or large) has started, it is finished fast.

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Ok guys... any solution to downgrade to 10.15 without any time machine backup ?

Thanks

Franck

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
No problems here. ?
Did you all try disabling all extensions (if you have any), clearing history, cookies, ad blockers ect.?
Hope this helps.

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Ok guys,

Starting my iMac in safe mode solve the problem...

So I’m now trying to uninstall adguard and Intego antivirus

Edit 1: adguard is not the cause... trying intego AV now.

Edit 2: uninstalling Intego antivirus solved the problem guys.

Last edited:

iMac_User

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
I specially installed Chrome only to check the issue (didn't have it before), so there are no extensions, history is empty, no cookies and ad blockers present.

But I also have Intego. And there are some periodical Intego messages in the system.log concerning Safari (not sure if they were there before 10.15.1):

Oct 30 09:11:34 ABCs-iMac VirusBarrier Events[556]: dictionaryWithContentsOfURL:error: failed -> Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 "Die Datei „com.apple.Safari.plist“ konnte nicht geöffnet werden, da du nicht die Zugriffsrechte hast, um sie anzuzeigen." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/ABC/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist, NSUnderlyingError=0x7ff7f0809830 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}

So cool to hear you have found the origin of the issue. Big thanks!

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Guys,

Uninstalling Intego, downloading the last version of X9 on Intego website, installing it and then update it to v10.9.13 using Intego netupdate component, makes the problem gone for me...

Franck

Reactions: iMac_User

BH1947

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
UK
I had the same problem as the rest of you after the latest update, but with some serious headscratching I tracked it down to Intego NetBarrier and I found that by turning the firewall protection OFF everything was back to normal without the need for any re-intallations of any software. I then contacted Intego and they informed me about 3 hours ago that they are aware of this issue and that they are working on a fix. They confirmed that disabling NetBarrier was the short term solution until they fix it. Hope this helps you all and perhaps switching OFF any type of firewall that you may have running will solve the issue for even more people.

I had an email late last night from Intego informing me that they have released an update to NetBarrier (v 10.9.9) and that this should fix the issue. Initially when I installed it and switch the Protection back ON all looked fine and I was back surfing at full speed. This morning I opened NetBarrier to discover that all my previous rules have disappeared and that there is no way to add rules or revert to my original set because that pane is showing Disabled. So this is not a fix from Intego, it is a way to buy them more time to sort it out properly. I emailed them again asking WTF but so far I have not had a reply. In conclusion, this means that NetBarrier is currently NOT protecting me/you and is as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard (pun intended). I will post again should Intego reply to my query.

Here is the latest reply as of 12:00 - 31/10/2019 from Intego regarding this issue.

Dear Intego Customer,

As a first step after 10.15.1 update issue, our development team worked to circumscribe the network connections slowdowns. They achieved this by temporarily disabling the application rules, which is the component in conflict with 10.15.1.
That's why the right pane of Applications tab is disabled

As you may notice NetBarrier firewall is still active.

We sincerely apologize for this situation, and thank you for your patience while we work to restore full protection.

Sincerely,
The Intego European Support Team.

Not quite out of the woods yet folks, watch this space......

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: barneyman

ZeeDD

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I had the same problem as the rest of you after the latest update, but with some serious headscratching I tracked it down to Intego NetBarrier and I found that by turning the firewall protection OFF everything was back to normal without the need for any re-intallations of any software. I then contacted Intego and they informed me about 3 hours ago that they are aware of this issue and that they are working on a fix. They confirmed that disabling NetBarrier was the short term solution until they fix it. Hope this helps you all and perhaps switching OFF any type of firewall that you may have running will solve the issue for even more people.

Yes you’re perfectly right ! That’s what I was checking
Disabling netbarrier and reboot the Mac solved the problem.

No need to uninstall guys.

Thanks !

Franck

• Love
Reactions: barneyman

barneyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
??
Just been talking to intego and they have confirmed it’s a problem...
[automerge]1572444912[/automerge]
they said...We are aware of the issue and I apologize for the situation. We're working on an update to fix whatever caused the error in the macOS Catalina 10.15.1 update. It is not clear at this time if the error will need to be fixed with a NetBarrier update, a macOS Catalina update from Apple, or possibly both. For now, please disable NetBarrier to prevent the problem.

I had to reboot but now all seems well here....well done everyone, and thanks for the help!

Reactions: gnasher59

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

I did a clean instal (10.15.1) last night and I experienced that issue that you mention with Safari, but this morning is a little faster than yesterday, still is slower than the previous update (10.15.0).

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Clear history and cache might help
I installed the Adguard Safari extension which seems to help - lots of ads and JavaScript running crazy.

I wonder if it is just some sites are slow while Apple made changes that the sites need to make.

Keeval

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
U.K.
Hi, I had this issue earlier on and I also use intego. I discovered after a lot of testing that if I go to system preferences > security and give safari full disk access it resolved the issue for me. Meaning that I could leave netbarrier and virusbarrier running.

No idea why it works - but it does. Glad to hear that Intego are looking into this.

ev200755

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Ok guys,

Starting my iMac in safe mode solve the problem...

So I’m now trying to uninstall adguard and Intego antivirus

Edit 1: adguard is not the cause... trying intego AV now.

Edit 2: uninstalling Intego antivirus solved the problem guys.
I also had this problem after installing 10.15.1 on my imac(late 2012). After reading this post I also removed intego AV and problem seems to be solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.