Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabrizio

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2005
Anyone has solved this issue? I still can't see the boot camp drive in the Startup Disk panel.

Thanks.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have no such problems. I upgraded to Catalina, and it all just worked fine afterwards.

fabrizio

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2005
Oh well, I am wondering why some people have problems and others not.

Wait: are you using boot camp on an external disk? If not, that's probably why?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have the Boot Camp partition on part of the internal SSD in my Mac Pro... I access it via Boot Camp and via Parallels...

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I have the Boot Camp partition on part of the internal SSD in my Mac Pro... I access it via Boot Camp and via Parallels...
It with Mac Pro I would just dedicate a drive to just Windows, no need to partition the Mac boot drive. Also used a separate data drive along with Paragon NTFS to share with Mac.

Reactions: Roxy.music

fabrizio

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2005
It is funny that it works for some and not others :rolleyes:
Fabrizio I don,t know whether this will help you
I had the problem of it not showing on the system startup panel Catalina (10.15)but i went back to Mojave

Thank you all guys for your replies. I have tried to use Winclone to set the EFI bootable flag, but no avail, no difference. I still don't see the boot camp external drive appear inside the Startup Disk pane on Catalina. And I still see it correctly on Mojave on a different computer I have.

This is really strange and frustrating!

Any more ideas or experiences are very welcome.

Thanks again.

fabrizio

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2005
Ok, folks, I figured it out. I had to give full disk access to System Preferences inside the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab.

I hope this can help someone else!

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Most of the time on here you have to work stuff out yourself,thats what i have found on here anyway :(

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
Ok, folks, I figured it out. I had to give full disk access to System Preferences inside the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab.

I hope this can help someone else!

Same problem, but I realized my issue was because of another problem. If anyone else is having this issue and uses Paragon NTFS for Mac: mounting bootcamp in read-only mode instead of read/write and bootcamp will show up in the start-up disk panel.

Duane Gonzales

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
I upgraded 2 devices, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air to Catalina with no issues on Bootcamp partition.

But the 3rd MacBook Pro I did it was a chilling nightmare for me, after the upgrade it restarts and boots up and the Bootcamp partition disappears with very important files on it without separate backup.
[automerge]1575707402[/automerge]
I upgraded 2 devices, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air to Catalina with no issues on Bootcamp partition.

But the 3rd MacBook Pro I did was a chilling nightmare for me, after I upgraded, it restarts and boots up and the Bootcamp partition disappears with very important files on it without separate backup.

I called up Apple support did all troubleshooting step but it didn't find anything to recover the lost bootcamp partition, they said my case was 1 in a million. went to third party recovery support and didn't find the partition, tried again with another recovery company leave the Macbook Pro with them, they said the process will take 2 to 3 days.

Crossing my fingers....

I highly recommended to backup your data before upgrading to Catalina before its too late.
[automerge]1575707549[/automerge]

But the 3rd MacBook Pro I did it was a chilling nightmare for me, after the upgrade it restarts and boots up and the Bootcamp partition disappears with very important files on it without separate backup.
[automerge]1575707402[/automerge]

But the 3rd MacBook Pro I did was a chilling nightmare for me, after I upgraded, it restarts and boots up and the Bootcamp partition disappears with very important files on it without separate backup.

I called up Apple support did all troubleshooting step but it didn't find anything to recover the lost bootcamp partition, they said my case was 1 in a million. went to third party recovery support and didn't find the partition, tried again with another recovery company leave the Macbook Pro with them, they said the process will take 2 to 3 days.

Crossing my fingers....

I highly recommended to backup your data before upgrading to Catalina before its too late.

Last edited:

Scott Douglas

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2020
I am not jumping onto the Catalina train until I hear from someone that their existing BootCamp survived the upgrade... Also, I connect to the Windows 10 bootcamp installation via Parallels. Does this still work?

AMEN BROTHER! Anyone with existing bootcamp partitions should be EXTREMELY concerned about this update. Apple has never done a very good job supporting Bootcamp at time of OS X release. The fact that Catalina uses an entirely different file partition format than before, I guarantee you anyone who updates Catalina and already has a multi-partition setup with windows is going to find little support or empathy from Apple care.

As far as I can tell there isn't a feature in Catalina worth upgrading for. (Dark mode maybe?) But the risks of upgrading are potentially catastrophic.

I'll hold off until the next OS X version comes out. The shear number of comments on this thread and apple's support site tell's me it will be a disaster.
[automerge]1580803216[/automerge]
I am not jumping onto the Catalina train until I hear from someone that their existing BootCamp survived the upgrade... Also, I connect to the Windows 10 bootcamp installation via Parallels. Does this still work?

There's two new "features" in Catalina that I'm aware of:
1. Existing 32 bit applications are guaranteed to stop working
2. Bootcamp partitions are guaranteed to be wiped out

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Catalina doesn't add partition. It adds a APFS volume. It's a completely different thing.
It doesn't reparation your disk. APFS volume are contained inside a APFS container, and Catalina won't add or remove any APFS container.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I am sticking with Mojave no need to upgrade for me. I don,t need most of the new stuff on Cataline. I don,t have a TV.IPAD, IPHONE or using Podcasts. Bootcamp with my T5 SSD which is working fine on System Preferences and is working back from Windows to Mac :)Which was not working for some time, I think it was to do with a Bootcamp update on Windows.

Last edited:

Chinedu Onyejekwe

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2020
I just upgraded my Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch Early 2015 from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15.3 today. Had the latest Windows 10 1909 with latest cumulative updates installed on the bootcamp partition on the internal drive prior to the MacOS upgrade. After the upgrade completed, I could still see the boot camp partition in Disk Utility, but could not get Windows 10 to boot properly when I'd select it as the startup disk. Luckily, on the OSX side, I already had VMware Fusion installed and connected to the boot camp partition, so I was able to fire up Windows 10 from there. After loading windows and shutting it down in VMware Fusion, I shutdown the mac, and powered it up and it booted my Windows Partition properly, and loaded windows without issue.

I'm guessing that, during the Catalina Upgrade, the Windows boot camp partition gets confused. To fix it, I'm guessing doing a startup repair with a Windows 10 usb, or having a virtual machine program installed on OSX that can talk to the boot camp partition and fire it up, should both be methods that can be used to fix and restore normal access to the Windows Boot Camp Partition.

Moving forward, I'm probably going to finally switch to using vmware fusion in unity mode and running my windows apps from the OSX dock.

If anyone thinks otherwise with regards to tools to recover the Windows partition after a Catalina Upgrade, please respond with your thoughts and concerns. But, like others have said(though I just went headfirst into the upgrade anyway since I thought enough time had passed and was performing it on a rarely used work machine and not my personal one) having a backup of your data is the best recovery plan.

Reactions: kryza

kryza

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2020
I just upgraded my Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch Early 2015 from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15.3 today. Had the latest Windows 10 1909 with latest cumulative updates installed on the bootcamp partition on the internal drive prior to the MacOS upgrade. After the upgrade completed, I could still see the boot camp partition in Disk Utility, but could not get Windows 10 to boot properly when I'd select it as the startup disk. Luckily, on the OSX side, I already had VMware Fusion installed and connected to the boot camp partition, so I was able to fire up Windows 10 from there. After loading windows and shutting it down in VMware Fusion, I shutdown the mac, and powered it up and it booted my Windows Partition properly, and loaded windows without issue.

I'm guessing that, during the Catalina Upgrade, the Windows boot camp partition gets confused. To fix it, I'm guessing doing a startup repair with a Windows 10 usb, or having a virtual machine program installed on OSX that can talk to the boot camp partition and fire it up, should both be methods that can be used to fix and restore normal access to the Windows Boot Camp Partition.

Moving forward, I'm probably going to finally switch to using vmware fusion in unity mode and running my windows apps from the OSX dock.

If anyone thinks otherwise with regards to tools to recover the Windows partition after a Catalina Upgrade, please respond with your thoughts and concerns. But, like others have said(though I just went headfirst into the upgrade anyway since I thought enough time had passed and was performing it on a rarely used work machine and not my personal one) having a backup of your data is the best recovery plan.

Hello. I woud like to upgrade to Catalina, but i am wondering if my existing bootcamp would still work with the upgrade? Are you still firing it up from vmware? or is it working just fine now? I only have 128 gb storage in my mac so it would be too much if i will install vmware on my os.

I am upgrading from El Capitan to Catalina coz of software version compatibilities. Like upgrading to office 365 but can't since it needs the newest os version. But at the same time i dont want to loose my bootcamp since i am using it for Revit. Revit are only made for windows.

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Hello. I woud like to upgrade to Catalina, but i am wondering if my existing bootcamp would still work with the upgrade? Are you still firing it up from vmware? or is it working just fine now? I only have 128 gb storage in my mac so it would be too much if i will install vmware on my os.

I am upgrading from El Capitan to Catalina coz of software version compatibilities. Like upgrading to office 365 but can't since it needs the newest os version. But at the same time i dont want to loose my bootcamp since i am using it for Revit. Revit are only made for windows.
Wow that is some upgrade from El Capitan to Catalina :oops:

Jake Barnes

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
I have my bootcamp on an external SSD and all is working perfectly. Not sure about a partition on the internal drive though.
How do you install BC on an external drive? I am trying to do it on my older 2012 iMac but keep getting the error message about failing to partition disk. I can’t find a solution past this anywhere, so maybe an external drive would help? Any info you have would be so appreciated, thanks

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
How do you install BC on an external drive? I am trying to do it on my older 2012 iMac but keep getting the error message about failing to partition disk. I can’t find a solution past this anywhere, so maybe an external drive would help? Any info you have would be so appreciated, thanks
This is the best one of the best ways to do it,but it does take time ,i had to do it a few times before i got it to work

Reactions: Jake Barnes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.