Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
My Boot Rom is 1037.40.111.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.11068.5.6,0) because I was already testing 10.15.1

I installed the external disk 10.15 with the add-in and there was no change here

Could you inform the ROM boot version from the 10.15 add-in?
Just to chime in, after the supplemental mine also is:
Boot ROM Version: 1037.0.78.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.10572.0.0,0)

schopaia

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
I'm having the issue where I can't start up with sonnet + 580 connected, and another issue where once the mac mini sleeps, the sonnet periodically wakes and sleeps about every 30 seconds.

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
I just installed an MSI VEGA 56 in my Core X and everything is booting up fine. Except boot camp is giving me trouble. Boot camp worked perfect with my 580. I just clicked on update and I’m seeing full update bars and the apple and everything. I’m happy now. I also notice my pcie lane is now 16. I don’t think it was with my 580 but I could be mistaken. Note I’m not on betalina. Just release Catalina.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
Yes Bootcamp gave me huge issues, I had the drivers installed, it turned out to be a Windows Update.. Gave me the dreaded error 12. I did fix it, By rolling back updates.. but I don't want to go through this every time. Apple does not Officially support eGPU and Bootcamp, so you can't get help there. Microsoft appears to throw the updates at the wall. I un installed Boot Camp, Took my old 580, put it in an I-7 6 core, 32 GB DDR4, a few M2 Drives and SSD's. Not counting the 580, it was about $300. Windows is now rock solid. My Win box is a beast in games.

I have seen stories of corrupt Bootcamp installs can bork the Mac OS.

No more Bootcamp for me. This morning I woke up, Catalina was up. Windows was up. When I did have the Bootcamp. I could not simply turn off my monitors. They would go black and never re-connect until a forced re-boot. I had to use a live screen server.

Now, I can turn off Catalina's monitor, It comes back in a flash in the Morning. If Im on the Windows Machine, I can turn off the monitor, and in the morning it lights up immediately with a lock screen.

I know not everyone has the finances, Or the space , or the time. This solution makes it great for me.

I ordered a Synolgy 918+ NAS, 30 TB. It allows me to use an IOS app, and remotely access it. That integrates with Files. App. Time machine backups are super easy, and all Server based. The NAS backs up to the cloud every night. (it also works like a charm serving 4k movies to my Apple TV.

I hope this helps a bit. Take care all, This forum is outstanding.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
So my new video card showed up today. Here are my findings:

1) I ordered a Vega 56, but my Mac detects it as a Vega 64. It's listed as such in my System Report as well as the eGPU icon. Is this behavior the same for everybody, or did I just happen to get lucky and get a Vega 64 instead?

2) It works fine in my Akito Node with the stock PSU. I thought for sure I was going to have to either upgrade the PSU or put the card in my OWC Mercury Helios FX.

3) I can boot up normally without having to disconnect the eGPU, and no white screens or any other odd behavior. whew.....

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I think you got lucky! So Congrats!! I do know you can re-flash a 56 with 64 bios. I'm not going to chance it. The performance I am getting with the 56 is amazing. I even moved World of Warcraft over to the Mac, 60 FPS in 4k, at "Ultra" setting. Life is good in Macvile.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA

1) I ordered a Vega 56, but my Mac detects it as a Vega 64. It's listed as such in my System Report as well as the eGPU icon. Is this behavior the same for everybody, or did I just happen to get lucky and get a Vega 64 instead?

2) It works fine in my Akito Node with the stock PSU. I thought for sure I was going to have to either upgrade the PSU or put the card in my OWC Mercury Helios FX.

3) I can boot up normally without having to disconnect the eGPU, and no white screens or any other odd behavior. whew.....

4) Oh yeah, my PCIe lane width is now x16 whereas it was x4 with the RX 580.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

Was it brand new or used?
If new
Some Vega56 can be BIOS flashed with Vega64 BIOS. The performance improvement is actually quite good.
I have not tried to do mine yet.
The only PC in the house is one I built for my son and is hard-line water cooled and I haven't wanted to drain the system to remove the gpu and try to flash the Vega....one day though ?

You can use this app from the app store which gives tons of information on your graphics card.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
I bought it used. Here's what OpenGL Viewer had to say.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.39.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.39.03 PM.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 183

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
X16 here also. These Vegas rock.

The Vegas do rock. I’m getting awesome performance gaming ultra high and 4K settings. I kept getting error 12 with windows and couldn’t boot. I worked on it for hours and hours. Tried everything. Then I plugged my thunderbolt cable into another port and walla started working every time I reboot perfectly. Weirdest thing ever.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I had the error 12, finally fixed it by rolling back a windows update. I was so tired of the Bootcamp merry go round, I deleted it and put together a gaming rig. Both Mac and PC are happy now, can't beat up on each other.

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
I had the error 12, finally fixed it by rolling back a windows update. I was so tired of the Bootcamp merry go round, I deleted it and put together a gaming rig. Both Mac and PC are happy now, can't beat up on each other.

Yeah I tried rolling back from 418 and got an error message and thought I was done with windows until they update with a fix. I wish I could build a separate rig but can’t at the moment. It’s funny because at first I couldn’t boot Catalina then I couldn’t boot windows after I updated the card. Seems to be working fine now until another update lol. I only use windows for Star Trek online and dragon speech software.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I realize that a lot of people can't build separate rigs. If Bootcamp was 100% reliable, It would be great. You could max out the Mac with about half of what it takes to build a separate PC. Then throw monster specs at both. Well Life aint fair. Under Windows my eGPU was running at X4. Now In Mac only, it's X16. The fans were off the hook in Bootcamp, Now both rigs are dead silent.

I Now comnnect them both to a Synology NAS, and I'm in workstation Nirvana. I am getting monster network performance, and all around goodness. The Mac mini, Windows Gamer, and Synology still cost about the third of an iMac Pro load out.. so Life is Good.

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
I realize that a lot of people can't build separate rigs. If Bootcamp was 100% reliable, It would be great. You could max out the Mac with about half of what it takes to build a separate PC. Then throw monster specs at both. Well Life aint fair. Under Windows my eGPU was running at X4. Now In Mac only, it's X16. The fans were off the hook in Bootcamp, Now both rigs are dead silent.

I Now comnnect them both to a Synology NAS, and I'm in workstation Nirvana. I am getting monster network performance, and all around goodness. The Mac mini, Windows Gamer, and Synology still cost about the third of an iMac Pro load out.. so Life is Good.

I agree if bootcamp was 100% reliable it would be a dream. Awesome setup by the way. I need to check out the Synology NAS.

Reactions: Wowmail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.