Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
Hi all,

Just wondering, you know those CD/DVD protectors they have so you won't scratch your discs? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be, but I was just wondering, are they OK to use in the slot loading drives? Or is Apple not thrilled with these things...?

Thanks,
-John

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Do you mean a clear "film" that you stick on the bottom of a disc, if there is such a thing (I haven't heard of it)? If it's a "film" we're talking about, I wouldn't chance it, as the slot-loading drives have close tolerances and I wouldn't want to risk having something get caught and start ripping off the protective film while the disc is going in or coming out. However, you could always try and let us know what happens. :)

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
JohnEZ said:
Hi all,

Just wondering, you know those CD/DVD protectors they have so you won't scratch your discs? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be, but I was just wondering, are they OK to use in the slot loading drives? Or is Apple not thrilled with these things...?

Thanks,
-John

Apple specifically states in the manuals to not use the clip on extenders that make a mini (4cm?) CD into a regular sized CD. The reason is that if the CD unclips the combination can easily jam in superdrive.

I noticed the clip on CD protectors the other day and I would expect that they have the same risk. As far as I know these protectors are relatively new and may not yet be on Apple's radar. But as a previous poster mentioned, the superdrive (and pretty much any slot loading drive) has tight tolerances so using anything that results in a thicker/different shape than a standard CD or anything that has the potential of coming loose from a CD should be avoided. (Technically you should not be using a CD with a stick-on label in a slot-loading drive.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.