Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jottabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2015
Hello.

I have a MacBook Black Early 2008 (model MB404LL/A).

I want to speed up. It's working well but it's struggling sometimes. I already have 6Gb RAM recognized in the System Profiler.

I want to exchange the original 250Gb HDD to a SDD 120Gb (Samsung 840 series).

I just want to know if I would be needing anything other than the SDD. An adapter because of the pins? Some cables? Or I just remove the HDD, plug in the SDD and that's it? Anyone done this yet?

Thanks.

- MacBook Black Early 2008 (MB404LL/A)
- Mac OS X (10.6.8 - soon will be running Lion)
- 2.4Ghz; 250HD; 4Gb RAM

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just did one of these swaps on a white 2008 model a few weeks ago and it is a straight out swap. No adaptors or anything needed.

Reactions: jottabr

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Greetings! I own a White macbook 3,1 (2007). Last year i installed an SSD (kingston 240GB) Just as Weaselboy has stated, you dont need anything else physical. However i found that TRIM a piece of software needed for SSD's is not installed. installing the software will help your SSD last. Im runnin snow leopard, because i found that lion simply struggles too much with animations on these older systems versus snow flies. Download something called TRIM ENABLER and then under your system profiler check if it worked and shows the status.

The SSD really improved speed and battery life in my system, however remember we are using Sata 1 so you wont get the full speed it offers but still way better speed then a mechanical. Good luck!

Reactions: Weaselboy

PayDrew

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2019
Greetings! I own a White macbook 3,1 (2007). Last year i installed an SSD (kingston 240GB) Just as Weaselboy has stated, you dont need anything else physical. However i found that TRIM a piece of software needed for SSD's is not installed. installing the software will help your SSD last. Im runnin snow leopard, because i found that lion simply struggles too much with animations on these older systems versus snow flies. Download something called TRIM ENABLER and then under your system profiler check if it worked and shows the status.

The SSD really improved speed and battery life in my system, however remember we are using Sata 1 so you wont get the full speed it offers but still way better speed then a mechanical. Good luck!
[doublepost=1551442764][/doublepost]Where are are the SSD drive be located and how much for the part also is that the failure in my iMac pro stuck in boot screen isn’t it a failure in the hhd that can be replaced with the ssd thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.