Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
As the title says - everytime I get a Notification, my iPhone 4 ALWAYS plays the Tri-Tone sound?!

I have different tones on my phone and have a different 'Text Tone' set but can't find anyway of changing the Tri-tone notification sound?

The only options I can see are on or off?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
As the title says - everytime I get a Notification, my iPhone 4 ALWAYS plays the Tri-Tone sound?!

I have different tones on my phone and have a different 'Text Tone' set but can't find anyway of changing the Tri-tone notification sound?

For which notification(s) are you trying to change the tone? Which apps? You noted that you have a different text tone so I take it that when a text comes in, you hear that different tone that you set, correct?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
For which notification(s) are you trying to change the tone? Which apps? You noted that you have a different text tone so I take it that when a text comes in, you hear that different tone that you set, correct?

You can't change notification sounds. It's up to the developers on what sounds they decide to use. For instance, ESPN uses their iconic sound while Twitter uses the Tri-tone.

TeamHotch

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
North east

On IOS 4.2.1 I was using ToneFX from Cydia which changed my Facebook, twitter, boxcar etc to my own tones. But since IOS5 i cant get TOneFX working. I've emailed the Dev but no reply.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It is annoying !

I like the tri tone for my SMS alerts but also get the same alert when I get a Facebook alert.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
The point is one shouldn't have to jail break to make changes like this.

True, however the inability to make these changes lies somewhat in the developers' hands for not giving you options. Some developers, of course, do give you notification tone options and that's great...but others just stick to one and we're all stuck with it.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
True, however the inability to make these changes lies somewhat in the developers' hands for not giving you options. Some developers, of course, do give you notification tone options and that's great...but others just stick to one and we're all stuck with it.

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was simply saying such options should be available without jail breaking.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was simply saying such options should be available without jail breaking.

Oh, just to clarify, I was talking about app developers and not Apple developers. In any case, I did agree with you (by saying "true") and I guess I was just trying to expand on your post.

Cal Neva

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
You can't change notification sounds. It's up to the developers on what sounds they decide to use. For instance, ESPN uses their iconic sound while Twitter uses the Tri-tone.

True, but in iBackup bot, in the sonic dash app Preferences plist file (just an app to test) under a notification field, there is a key that says "soundName" and the string is "UILocalNotificationDefaultSoundName" so it can be changed. So the question is: What do i change that string to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.