Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
My partner has her Apple ID set with an old Hotmail address and wishes to create an Apple specific address to update the Hotmail address to.

Is anyone aware of how we can create an @icloud / @me / @Mac email address on an iOS device already signed into an Apple ID and then update the Apple ID from current Hotmail address to the newly created Apple address, without losing any settings, data, subscriptions etc.

I hope this makes sense?!!

TIA

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
It’s a hassle, but she’ll need to keep using both. So she’ll use the Hotmail  ID she uses now. Then she’ll create an iCloud account. The iCloud account will be used for all iCloud related things. The Hotmail  ID will be used for all purchases and Game Center if she ever used it. She can’t transfer her purchases to the iCloud account. I wish we could. And her receipts will still go to the Hotmail address. I had my original  ID long before I had an iPhone because I was a Windows users with iPods. I logged into my old yahoo account and I have yahoo forward all of my  receipts to my iCloud account.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Reactions: Fred Zed and JBaby

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It’s a hassle, but she’ll need to keep using both.
That's no longer true.
[automerge]1599866226[/automerge]
My partner has her Apple ID set with an old Hotmail address and wishes to create an Apple specific address to update the Hotmail address to.

Is anyone aware of how we can create an @icloud / @me / @Mac email address on an iOS device already signed into an Apple ID and then update the Apple ID from current Hotmail address to the newly created Apple address, without losing any settings, data, subscriptions etc.

I hope this makes sense?!!

TIA
Do not create the new Apple ID first, or you will not be able to move the old hotmail address to the new one.

Reactions: JBaby

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
That's no longer true.
[automerge]1599866226[/automerge]

Do not create the new Apple ID first, or you will not be able to move the old hotmail address to the new one.

Thanks all.

Do we need to create an Apple domain email first?

This link indicates that is the case, stating ‘If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.’

So we will need to create an Apple domain email.
Wait for 30 days.
Then change current Apple ID from Hotmail email to Apple email.

Is that correct?

This is all quite confusing!

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks all.

This link indicates that is the case, stating ‘If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later.’

Wait for 30 days.

Is that correct?

Apple... "It just works" :rolleyes:

Reactions: JBaby

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks all.

Wait for 30 days.

Is that correct?

There’s no harm in trying to create the new Apple ID in this process. Have you tested that?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
When signing out of iCloud I get this message since changing Apple user ID I won’t lose any iMessages or such will I? Funnily enough it allowed me to change back my Apple ID to the one I used before just one time. The message didn’t occur but since I’ve gone back to using the Apple email as my ID that message pops up when signing out of iCloud.

Attachments

• 0BDB7BF3-4C01-4136-A7E1-B692B6A91B2D.png
    0BDB7BF3-4C01-4136-A7E1-B692B6A91B2D.png
    753 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.