Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThankYouRob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
In my house, everyone has an iDevice - wife and I have iPhones, kids have iPads, MacBook, Apple TV on every TV. Apple basically has us in their pocket, with the exception of a Google Home, which will be replaced by a HomePod or Sonos One (unsure still). We're also big music listeners...soooo, it didnt take long after the 3 month trial subscription of Apple Music was over, for us to be missing Apple Music, but we just couldn't justify paying another subscription in our house.

Finally, I was at Costco one day and they had a $100 iTunes gift card for $85. The Annual Apple Music subscription for a single user is $100, so bam, $85 for a year of music and its great! Since then though, my wife has grown to be pretty jealous about it. Since we all have individual iTunes accounts, I can tell her about the new Beck album and play it at home, but she can't listen to it on her own device.

So I think we might cave and have to go the route of the Family Plan, but I found myself asking why doesn't Apple offer a discounted annual version of the family shared plan? Lock people in for a year? That's when I answered my own question...for $15/month, you're basically getting 6 accounts ($2.50/month each) - granted you have to have Family Sharing turned on (we do). Even utilizing 2 of the 6 accounts ($7.50/month each), its still a deal in that aspect.

In the end, I suppose just typing out this post justified to myself, why I should just go with the family route.

Last edited:

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
In my house, everyone has an iDevice - wife and I have iPhones, kids have iPads, MacBook, Apple TV on every TV. Apple basically has us in their pocket, with the exception of a Google Home, which will be replaced by a HomePod or Sonos One (unsure still). We're also big music listeners...soooo, it didnt take long after the 3 month trial subscription of Apple Music was over, for us to be missing Apple Music, but we just couldn't justify paying another subscription in our house.

Finally, I was at Costco one day and they had a $100 iTunes gift card for $85. The Annual Apple Music subscription for a single user is $100, so bam, $85 for a year of music and its great! Since then though, my wife has grown to be pretty jealous about it. Since we all have individual iTunes accounts, I can tell her about the new Beck album and play it at home, but she can't listen to it on her own device.

So I think we might cave and have to go the route of the Family Plan, but I found myself asking why doesn't Apple offer a discounted annual version of the family shared plan? Lock people in for a year? That's when I answered my own question...for $15/month, you're basically getting 6 accounts ($2.50/month each) - granted you have to have Family Sharing turned on (we do). Even utilizing 2 of the 6 accounts ($7.50/month each), its still a deal in that aspect.

In the end, I suppose just typing out this post justified to myself, why I should just go with the family route.
Hello,
I have a Apple ID balance of $100, and am trying buy the years-worth of Apple Music for $99, but every time I try to purchase, I get a pop up saying insufficient funds and to add a payment method.

If I have the required amount already on my Apple ID, why is it asking for a payment method?
Is their tax for Apple Music (USA)? Is that why I'm getting the "insufficient funds" popup?

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Yes. There is tax.
Okay, do you know if you have to have a credit/debit card on file, even if you have the required amount in Apple ID credits?

edit: No you do not. In my case you need to have least $107 (may vary) worth of balance on your Apple ID, no credit/debit card on file needed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.