Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
China is what the Stasi in East Germany would have liked to be. The whole country is sick. Just like Nazi Germany, the world just watches until they play with too much fire
The difference now vs then is the western world is too stupid and greedy and is willingly feeding the beast trillions of dollars and free ip through their joint manufacturing policies that companies willingly throw themselves into to save a few. Screw soybeans and cheaper manufacturing, I’ll pay extra to buy electronics that isn’t from China.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
It's time for Apple to step up security in iOS and on their devices. Several things need to be done including being able to see all background processes and to close them and scheduling a daily reboot. Need for a physically off switch where battery and device are disconnected and memory is initialized. Even if that means the clock is off until access to time server.
Be nice to have in the notch an indicator when gps, mic, camera, etc are being powered and a log of which processes have accessed them by date and time. Software indicators can be faked but powered indicators can not.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Prediction: the Chinese are going to unleash a cyberwar against Trump that’s going to make Russia’s 2016 campaign against Clinton look like amateur hour.

Foreign countries will continue to choose the US President for us until we can figure out how to stop them.

Lol, you mean after the presidential candidate lineup choice has been decided by the vested interests of the American news media, the American lobbyists and American special interest groups ;)?

Regarding the article - interesting that the FBI seems to have known about it for a while...

Reactions: PC_tech and SoGood

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Not quite silly. Some folks use(d) Apple because it used to be a brand people TRUSTED. Perhaps that trust was misplaced, but it used to be a big marketing point for Apple. No longer.
Well, some folks were naive. There has never been a period in time where an OS -including those developed by Apple- was totally secure. This incident doesn't change that. If those people's trust changed, there's probably nothing that can help them. They were unrealistic to begin with.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The also used android and windows, no idea why everyone only focuses on apple.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...ndroid-and-microsoft-windows-say-sources/amp/

Because those operating systems were not believed to be unhackable in this fashion.

Most of my coworkers use Android, and the many times I’ve brought up security/privacy conversations they mostly seem unconcerned and more concerned with “openness” of the platform. iPhone users, not generally the same.
[doublepost=1567434828][/doublepost]
Well let me explain it for u

Social credit system, president for lifetime ... good
Democracy, president for 2 terms ... bad

Hope that helps

May I add that in the U.S. we don’t lock people in internment camps for disagreeing with government... and we don’t have organ harvesting vans that travel the country...

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
An iPhone XR 64GB now sells for RMB6199 (US$864). Using Chinese Xinhua's report, which one expects to positively report, Xinjiang's per capita income in 2019 sits at RMB21500 (US$2998).

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-02/02/c_137794900.htm

iPhones are effectively luxury items there in China and in the far less wealthy far West, Xinjiang, I doubt there's even a tiny percent of iPhone users on financial considerations alone. As per the reference above, an average income earner there would have to spend nearly 1/3 of his/her annual income for a new iPhone. As such, if those supposedly suppressed Uyghurs can afford iPhones for Chinese intelligence services to get interested, then they must be doing pretty well and wealthy by local standard. Alternatively, just round up those iPhone using Uyghurs who most likely to have been supplied by Americans and other foreign interests. No need to bother to develop exploits.
[doublepost=1567435352][/doublepost]

Social credit system, president for lifetime ... good
Democracy, president for 2 terms ... bad

Hope that helps

1 term of a selfish, unscrupulous and irrational president ... very bad
A political system that elects such a president ... incredibly bad

Hope that helps.

Agit21

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
lol what. The Han Chinese are from a different area of Eurasia. They never lived in Uighur territory until very recent times. In fact they hardly live there now. They just control it politically, and are starting to move Han Chinese there to try to change the demographics.

You should look into the situation of the Kurdish people.
Seriously, the policy that you just described is being used in many many countries.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
So there is zero reason for using an iPhone. Might as well just buy a Xiaomi device next time with all those iOS loopholes.
Not quite silly. Some folks use(d) Apple because it used to be a brand people TRUSTED. Perhaps that trust was misplaced, but it used to be a big marketing point for Apple. No longer.

No. iPhone/iOS is superior to Android for both privacy and security. This particular exploit doesn’t change that basic fact nor should it change peoples trust in Apple/iOS.

There are basically two ways to deal with bugs/exploits:

1. Prevention: Designing your OS to make it difficult for someone to exploit. Things like signing code, having a secure boot chain, sandboxing Apps, preventing the execution of downloaded code, encryption and so on.
  2. Repair: When the inevitable issues are discovered you need to be able to get patches out to devices quickly to minimize the harm.

Even if we assumed Android and iOS were equal at #1 (they're not), the fact is Android is absolute garbage at #2. Google can issue patches as quickly as they want, but they do no good if manufacturers don't bother to apply them to devices.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009

What China did in my opinion was wrong and not right but I don’t think the US is much better. You do realize that in the US and Israel (just to name two more to the list) they have also been known to take smartphones away from people at the border and download all the info from smartphones as well, don’t you..?

Not sure if two or three wrongs here make a right..
[doublepost=1567439165][/doublepost]
Apple should pull out of China completely. Paying 1100 anyway for a phone. What’s another 100.

It’s not just another $100.. Own any Apple shares..?

Reactions: A.Goldberg

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
An iPhone XR 64GB now sells for RMB6199 (US$864). Using Chinese Xinhua's report, which one expects to positively report, Xinjiang's per capita income in 2019 sits at RMB21500 (US$2998).

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-02/02/c_137794900.htm

iPhones are effectively luxury items there in China and in the far less wealthy far West, Xinjiang, I doubt there's even a tiny percent of iPhone users on financial considerations alone. As per the reference above, an average income earner there would have to spend nearly 1/3 of his/her annual income for a new iPhone. As such, if those supposedly suppressed Uyghurs can afford iPhones for Chinese intelligence services to get interested, then they must be doing pretty well and wealthy by local standard. Alternatively, just round up those iPhone using Uyghurs who most likely to have been supplied by Americans and other foreign interests. No need to bother to develop exploits.
[doublepost=1567435352][/doublepost]

Hope that helps.
Probably most of the new iPhones there are owned my by Han Chinese but realize that the used iPhone market is also quite popular.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
China bad, USA good. Am I right? :rolleyes:
Whilst yes, China have done some pretty awful things. That was my take on it too. Like the US and friends are so high and mighty. (The yanks are great at Extraordinary Rendition - but that's not torture right???).
Problem is your great leader has alienated all of your allies which makes it much harder to collectively decide on a way forward to address issues.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Because those operating systems were not believed to be unhackable in this fashion.

Most of my coworkers use Android, and the many times I’ve brought up security/privacy conversations they mostly seem unconcerned and more concerned with “openness” of the platform. iPhone users, not generally the same.
No OS is unhackable, however Apple expends considerable effort into making its OSes as secure (and private) as it can.

But programmers are human, and humans make mistakes. No one has figured out how to eliminate zero-day vulnerabilities.

Last edited:

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I’d gladly pay another 100 knowing it was not made in China.

The only good communist is a

Apparent Communist lift China from semi-colonial imperial society where westerns gets better treatment. Under the PRC, China is more independent than ever before, it is great that we are no longer a United State’s puppet states, like Taiwan.

The Chinese are enjoying better life then ever before, all thanks to the Communist Party.

Western media never truly honest about China, the negative press a gamers China is sickening.
[doublepost=1567442067][/doublepost]
China is what the Stasi in East Germany would have liked to be. The whole country is sick. Just like Nazi Germany, the world just watches until they play with too much fire

We Chinese aren’t think that way. We all living in a better life, we are enjoying lots of improvements and we are enjoying our life more than ever before.

If you don’t like China, don’t go. We don’t welcome you as well.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
As Well let me explain it for u

Hope that helps.

Your argument game is weak...

You do realize that no matter how ****** a current presidential leader in the U.S. is, the system guarantees they cannot be in place for more than 8 years.

Tell me again, when will the Chinese people have a chance to vote for a replacement to Xinnie the Pooh?
[doublepost=1567442605][/doublepost]
We Chinese aren’t think that way. We all living in a better life, we are enjoying lots of improvements and we are enjoying our life more than ever before.

If you don’t like China, don’t go. We don’t welcome you as well.

Life is great in China until you happen to mention government corruption and then find yourself in gulag or harvested for organs...

Keep telling yourself it’s great. Your denial is blatantly obvious.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Your argument game is weak...

You do realize that no matter how ****** a current presidential leader in the U.S. is, the system guarantees they cannot be in place for more than 8 years.

Tell me again, when will the Chinese people have a chance to vote for a replacement to Xinnie the Pooh?
[doublepost=1567442605][/doublepost]

Life is great in China until you happen to mention government corruption and then find yourself in gulag or harvested for organs...

Keep telling yourself it’s great. Your denial is blatantly obvious.

It is great. There is nothing to deny about it.

China is more open than you thought about it. People has been using WeChat or QQ to discuses about various social and political issues. As long as you don’t go around asking people to riot, you are fine.

And no. There is no organ harvest. Sounds like you are either believe cult or you are just blinded by your anti-China agenda.

Otherwise, life is great. We enjoying way of life more and more. We go shopping as we please, we buy stuff as we please, we go eat street food as we want, we gathering with our friends.

We don’t need go on internet and be a keyboard warrior, but I will when someone attacking our beloved country.

Also, there are so many country without presidential or prime minister term limit. You don’t seems to have issue with these country. There is no guarantee Xi will rule for life. There always going to be internal opposition inside CCP would or could replace Xi.

Reactions: WatchAndWait

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The Qing government has already began to relocate Han, Hui, Manchu ethics to Xinjing.

Again, political control is not the same as actually living in a place. Do you have any data on the number of Han Chinese living in Xinjing during the Qing dynasty? It must have been a tiny number, because even up until recently there were very few. It is only in recent decades that China is trying to change the demographics of Xinjing by moving more Han Chinese there. That's called colonialism and imperialism, something you would think would be a bad idea in 2019. However it's not a surprise from one of the worst human rights abusers in the world.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
My car might be stolen so I might as well leave the doors open, keep the keys in it, and keep it running. Let me take off or destroy all VINs too and remove the license plate.

Keeping car doors on costs nothing. Continuing to buy iPhones cost money.
[doublepost=1567446709][/doublepost]
I’d gladly pay another 100 knowing it was not made in China.

The only good communist is a

If the made in USA iPhone had an exclusive color, I'm sure people would want to so it off.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
lol what. The Han Chinese are from a different area of Eurasia. They never lived in Uighur territory until very recent times. In fact they hardly live there now. They just control it politically, and
China has control over Xinjiang was long before PRC. Ever since Tang Dynasty, China has political and military control over Xinjiang Region. Ever since, Xinjiang was on and off from China’s control. Then Qing Dynasty formerly controlled Xinjiang Province.

The Qing government has already began to relocate Han, Hui, Manchu ethics to Xinjing.

Since ROC took over from Qing, it has claim over all Qing’s territory. And since PRC took over from ROC, it has legitimate control over ROC territory.

China is not going to given up Xinjiang. Over past few decades, there were several terrorist attacks inside Xinjiang. Chinese government is more hardcore on terrorists, it simply assume all Uyghur Muslim were terrorist.

Glad someone read some history before holding a very strong anti-China opinion because the Washington Post told them to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.