Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tryintoregister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Somewhere in Yurop
I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but I was surprised regardless. I have an old iPad4, with the latest iOS 10. I still use it every day, although nowadays only to read the news in the morning. I have Chrome installed on it, because I like the random articles on the home screen.

Anyway, a few days ago I noticed that I'm not getting articles anymore. First I thought that there is a tech problem at Google, but later I checked if there is maybe a newer version of Chrome available in the App store. I checked - and indeed, there is a newer version. The current version is v79, while I'm still stuck on v71 :eek:
v79 supports only iOS12 and above. v71 was released last December - it means that since then iOS11 support has been dropped too (though I think nobody is stuck on that version). Interestingly Google support page says that Chrome's minimum required iOS version is 10, Wikipedia claims that it's iOS11.

Anyway, just a heads up. It surprised me for sure, as I thought that I'm using up to date Chrome (I still keep getting YouTube, Hangouts and Google Maps updates regularly, I have not even noticed that I stopped getting anything for Chrome). I guess it is time to update my HW soon...

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
The general rule with many exceptions is that most software requires the current release or two versions behind. So with iOS 13, iOS 10 is pretty much gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.